“Great park to learn about farm animals.”

Frying Pan Farm Park
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Herndon
More attraction details
Owner description: Working farm, live farm animals, playground, Country Store, wagon rides($), antique carousel rides ($), Kidwell farmhouse tours (select days, call), children's concerts (10am, Wednesdays, June - August, Visitor Center Pavilion), family concerts (7pm, Thursdays, June - August, farmyard), bluegrass concerts (select Sundays, September - April, Visitor Center), farm stand (May-Sept, Wednesdays 8am-12:30pm)
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We took our 2 young grandchildren a couple of times and it is always fun. There is a nice playground and small store in addition to all the farm animals that children have a chance to pet. This makes for a fun activity for a few hours and we will continue to go when we visit. Each season brings new animals and activities.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I had occasion to visit the park twice over the the past couple of weeks, once with my granddaugther and once with my grandson, both nearing the age of two. The cost is free, which is always a good thing. It's a large enough setting, but on a cold day you probably want to head straight to the Kidwell Barn where they have pigs (and too many piglets to count, under a heat lamp), goats and calves. Just outside the barn on one side are the large percheron work horses.
In the opposite direction you find a chicken coop and some large grassy areas where the sheep, goats and cows tend to the lawns. The goats are friendly enough that they accept some of the long fresh green grass that you offer them.
Other pens held peacocks, a turkey and ducks. I would suggest you bring a stroller to walk the farm because both my little ones got tired and wanted to be carried.
On weekends there may be activities going on in one of the large covered ring areas. My granddaughter got to watch some dogs go through agility exercises while we warmed up inside. Before you get to the barn, there is a mulched play area with 4 small tractors that kids can climb up on and pretend to drive. That's a very unique and popular feature at the farm. I'd say one to two hours is plenty of time to devote for this outing. There are picnic tables, so if it's a nice day bring a lunch.

Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

I love this little farm. I take my little dog there quite often. There are goats, sheep, pigs, cows, peacocks, chickens... adults and babies. The nest time to go is when the babies are born. It is amazing to see a mommy pig feeding her babies. Often, you might see horses when they have a special events. It is nice to walk around to see the farm animals, and you might even get to pet them if the are close to the fence. There are old farm equipment for you to explore. There is a little area for kids to play in. I think they even sell fresh eggs.

If you bring a dog, watch your dog closely. If your dog is as curious as mine, it might pick up some droppings, try to crawl under the fence that encloses the farm animals, and/or get startled by the farm animals. Expect to smell like a farm, I don't recommend wearing your finest clothes, and plan on washing your clothes when you get home.

On the other side of the farm, by the entrance, there is a little country store. I haven't shopped there yet because I always have my dog. Next to it is a carousel and a playground for kids. I believe there is a wagon ride, too.

If you were to walk to the back of the park, behind the buildings where special horse or dog training events are held, there is a large open area. Walk further back and you will find trails that you can take to explore nature a little.

If you check their website, look for special events that take place at the park from farmers market to carnivals. They probably also post birth announcements.

Lastly, the staff is very friendly and informative.

I don't recommend walking around in your house with the same pair of shoes that you wore to the farm/park. ;-)

1  Thank Marinda0
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We lived near Frying Pan Park for 13 years and took our kids there all the time! It never got old. The animals were always right there at the fence for kids to see, the country store was a huge highlight, and there was a playgound to boot!
My kids took classes and camps there in the summer which were always top notch.
I highly recommend Frying Pan Park for families!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We wre invited to the birthday party for a dear friend. Before the event we took the tome to stroll the grounds. This is the last working non-vinyard farm in Fairfax County. This is the location of the annual Fairfax County kid's fair. The opportunity for non-farm parents and their children is a treasure to the county. it is well worth the trip to see the livestock exhibits and the farm implements.