“Almost Perfect!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fleming Island, Florida
“Almost Perfect!”
Reviewed May 30, 2010

My husband, 3 year old, dog, and I stayed the night at this location over Memorial Day weekend. The hotel is a bit set back, which is perfectly fine with me! The grounds were beautiful and peaceful. The intereior is goregeous and check-in was a breeze. We got an amazing deal on a suite due to the fact that this hotel is an "airport" hotel for business people and it was Memorial Day weekend; not too many people traveling for business! Our room was large and roomy and the bathroom was oh-so nice! We heard no airplane noise at all...very soundproof. I love how they accept pets without a second glance and don't give you a hard time about it! The room was VERY clean and accomodating. The best part of the trip was the manager at the hotel restaurant; Fifi. Our 3 year old was having a meltdown...we called Fifi over to ask that our meal be to-go. She came right over, this is after the bartender brought our son cherries! Fifi got down at our sons level and had an amazing conversation with him. I couldn't believe how attentive my son was being. Fifi had an amazing conversation with my son and he loved it! After her welcomed interaction with our son, Fifi promptly got our meal to-go and extra milk for the 3 year old! I HIGHLY recommend this location to those with pets. The reason this hotel is not perfect is because there is nothing for kids to do, through no fault of their own! Thank you Westin for a high-class stay at a very friendly price!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
southern california
Reviewed May 14, 2010

On the map it is right next the airport, but that's as the crow flies not as the shuttle drives. The shutte takes 15 minutes but they only run one at a time which means that you can wait up to 30 minutes at the terminal for the van to show up. Otherwise it's a pretty standard and good westin. Heavenly bed it is. They took care of my "no feathers" request prior to arrival. Quiet and comfy. My room had to tub however. Just a shower. I would have liked to have a bath when I got in. But the shower worked fine. Good price on the internet with AAA at $125/night. Internet in the room is not free.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed May 10, 2010

Let me say that this is overall one of the best hotels that I have stayed at.

First and foremost the service was 5 star. From the front desk to the shutle drivers to those working in the bar and restaurant.

When I normally travel I try to find local yoga classes. Having found a yoga studio within 2 miles of the hotel, the hotel shuttle dropped me off and picked me up. I could not believe this service. They also had the shuttle drop my colleagues and me off at a restaurant for dinner in Reston.

This hotel is fairly new and somewhat of a challenge to find, especially if you have a taxi or rental car with GPS. To me this was the only downside to the hotel.

The front desk staff were very professional and friendly and willing to go the extra miles.

Being in the customer service business, we tell our team members to do everything that we can to assist our guests. This is truly what the Westin Dulles is about.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 10, 2010

How to put this? Either this was the nicest hotel I've ever gotten lousy service at, or this is the worst service I've ever had at a nice hotel.

It's very attractive and I got a good rate. But here was my negative experience: I called for a hotel shuttle from the airport, as I'd been advised to do since the shuttle only runs every 30 minutes. It was cold out, but they told me there'd be a shuttle in a few minutes. Sure enough, a Westin shuttle pulls up: I get on along with another couple. It turns out, however, that this Westin shuttle took us all to the Westin "Restin Heights" instead of the Westin Dulles. How were we to know there were two? When we got there, they told us our only option was to go back to the airport and wait for the shuttle to the Westin Dulles. When I protested, asking why they couldn't simply take us to the other Westin, since it was only a few miles away, the night manager first said he could, then said he wouldn't. Upset, I opted for a cab ($20, on me), since I knew it might mean another 30 minutes in the cold at the airport.

So you could say this is a "Westin Resttin Heights" problem, except when I called to explain my situation to the Westin Dulles folks, the guy who answered tried to convince me that this problem hardly ever happens, implying that I was an idiot. Remember, another couple on the same shuttle did the same thing. Also, the folks at the other Westin told me it happens regularly, and then to top it off my cabby said that every day he has to shuttle people from one Westin to the other for the same reason. So it sounds like this is a regular problem that they, or Starwood, haven't bothered to fix.

When I explained myself to the supervisor at the Westin Dulles, he bought me a drink at the bar. That was decent, but I'd have rather they fixed the issue when it arose rather than just dulled my anger afterwards.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Helena, Montana
Reviewed May 7, 2010

I stayed at this brand new Westin for 2 nights whilst on a business trip. It has all the fabulous amenities you'd expect from a Westin - heavenly bed, SUPER heavenly, very big shower - all tiled with a big glass door and excellent service.

The check in people were very chatty and welcoming. I was given driving instructions to places I needed to go, as well as a few ideas for dinner.

The location is right next to Dulles airport, which is very convenient. It's about a 10 minute drive from Chantilly and Herndon. The actual hotel is a bit hard to find but once you have your bearings, it's ok. There are a few strip mall nearby with chain restaurants and drugstores in case you need anything.

The hotel offered free parking in the attached garage which was nice.

I used the business center which had everything you needed, plus we needed help and someone was able to come in and help us - which was great.

I paid for internet which worked great in the room, but I could not get it to work at the bar or lobby - SUPER annoying and it made me leave the bar to go back to my room to work.

Before I realized the internet didn't work at the bar, I had a drink and an appetizer at the bar - great service but WAY overpriced food. They charged me $12 for 4 pinky-sized chicken skewers. Ridiculous. It made me never want to have dinner there.

Breakfast was good - lots of choose from. Again extremely overpriced. A small bowl of fruit for $8? Come on.

I did not get rooms service bc the selection was pretty weak.

There is a coffee maker in your room with Starbucks coffee and a to go cup - great amenity. Be sure to make that second cup bc they charge you $3.15 for a refill in the lobby!!! I pitched a fit bc I had already checked out and I they gave me a cup gratis - that is riduculous.

I'd definitely stay here if I got another good rate $134. If the price were much more, I would stay at one of the lesser expensive options nearby.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed April 13, 2010

First off, I stayed here in Jan. and thought the hotel was awesome. Nice new rooms. Quiet atmosphere, friendly staff....
This is not the case anymore. First off, the hotel allows DOGS! I'm not sure if they allowed dogs before but I was totally grossed out. Second, the rooms don't look clean and new anymore (there were stains all over the bedding and the hallway needed to be vacuumed...BAD). The customer service now SUCKS. I've had to call the hotel 5 times about a problem with my bill and it's still not taken care of. Each time someone different takes my # and says they will call back. I never get a call.
I'm so disappointed in this hotel. I thought for sure it would be a hidden gem. This Westin is giving the brand a bad name. I'll never stay again...EVER!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Central California
Reviewed April 9, 2010

The hotel looks beautiful from the outside and at check-in but as soon as you get on the elevator the trouble begins. You need your hotel key to access your floor but it wasn't explained at check-in. It was troublesome for us because we were traveling with another couple, whose room was on a different floor. We couldn't go to their room and vice-versa unless we made arrangements to trade keys, travel together, etc. Our room had no refrigerator although the spot existed. They brought one up at our request. We were provided with two single servings of coffee but we had to pay for more (we drink at least two cups a day). The internet was not free. The room was very clean and somewhat spacious with a pretty view. It was very quiet. One phone did not work and the remote kept losing sound.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Hyatt Regency Dulles
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel
Hilton Washington Dulles Airport
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!