“Brand new, but lacking”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Central California
“Brand new, but lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2010

The hotel looks beautiful from the outside and at check-in but as soon as you get on the elevator the trouble begins. You need your hotel key to access your floor but it wasn't explained at check-in. It was troublesome for us because we were traveling with another couple, whose room was on a different floor. We couldn't go to their room and vice-versa unless we made arrangements to trade keys, travel together, etc. Our room had no refrigerator although the spot existed. They brought one up at our request. We were provided with two single servings of coffee but we had to pay for more (we drink at least two cups a day). The internet was not free. The room was very clean and somewhat spacious with a pretty view. It was very quiet. One phone did not work and the remote kept losing sound.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Korean first
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

We got a great deal using Hotwire for this hotel. The folks on the front desk were very friendly, so I suppose that the bad feedback in some of these reviews was taken to heart. The hotel is beautiful, the service was great. Very Friendly and helpful. The only bad feedback is that the temperature controls in the room did not work. The hotel did try to rectify this, however they were unsucessful. Considering that this weekend in the Washington area had a heat wave, this was a problem. They did offer to move us to a different room, but by that time, both my son and I were asleep and my husband did not want to wake us. We were only there one night, but would go back, as long as we checked that the air conditioner worked before late in the evening.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
North Carolina Mountains, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2010

got this 4 star hotel via hotwire for $65 a night all-in (inclusive of all taxes and fees). It's new and at the very end of a mini-urban high rise area of mostly apartments. You'll have to drive to anything for food (we didn't use the hotel restaurants) which was no big deal for us. plenty of dining options, both full service and fast food, within 7-8 minutes. Getting back to the main road to and from the airport at 5pm is a nightmare due to the road being a country road and not yet widened to proper capacity and no stop light. I'm sure that will be fixed, and not the hotel's fault, it's 5 minutes away, but be aware.
Great service, no snobbiness for being "pre-paid" as they called us. Hotel pool open only early AM and late afternoon, so my kids were bummed, but that's when they opened it with lifeguard. Free internet in lobby or pay in your room. We were able to fit a rollaway bed between two queen beds, they were very acommodating. VERY nice bathroom and helpful staff. I'd easily stay here again if I had to be out near Dulles Airport.
We were there during Cherry Blossom festival and this rate was $100 cheaper than closer-in hotels that were 3* and 4*. Was here with my kids and parents
We were there on a Sunday night and there was a large group of high schoolers there for a sports tournament, but they were well behaved. It was quiet.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Ithaca, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

We stayed at the Westin Dulles while attending a conference in DC due to the terrific rates and free parking. The cost was more than 50% less than the cheapest hotel we could find in the district. The hotel is a bit out of the way and next to a see through (vacant) office building and in an office building/town home office park. The hotel is brand new and exactly what you expect from a Westin. The hotel was not busy when we were there. My guess is that occupancy rates are low and the affordable rates are an attempt to raise them. (It worked for us!) There is a lobby restaurant and a shuttle to the airport. The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are modern.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2010

This is your typical Westin, you enter the room and you will love it. The room is clean, contemporary, the towels are plush, there is a sparking shower and no tub and the bed is so comfy. And when you pay only $59 for it (Hotwire price), it will sure put a smile on your face. This hotel had all the amenities you want but like any other 4 star, they will make you pay for everything and pay a lot. The only negatives about the room - the internet though $11/day was slow and the room can be a little warm at night even at 65, this did not disturb us too much because the bed was so nice.

Now about the hotel:
The location depends on why you are there - it is a good 20 minutes from the closest train station to Washington, DC. Traffic can be a nightmare on weekdays unless you time your travel around the work time traffic. If you are traveling for business, there are many companies in and around this area and the airport is close by so I can imagine that it would be good. As is usual in the DC suburbs, you will have all forms of shopping close to you.

The service has much to be desired. The person who checked us in was polite but we could feel him looking down his nose at us. Either rich people (the rack rate is very expensive for this area) like snootiness or else we were the undesirable but better than nothing hotwire crowd. When we asked for a king room vs the standard double that you get with hotwire, the check in agent made a little fuss and then proceeded to give us a small lecture about calling ahead to the hotel when you make a booking on hotwire. We were a little irritated by this but this was only until we reached the room. Once we settled down into the very comfy bed and mindlessly browsed the channels on tv, we soon forgot the person and enjoyed the lovely room.

Some downsides to the hotel but the 5 star room more than makes up for it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2010

Back in January I booked a reservation at The Westin Washington Dulles hotel through Hotwire. My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. Unfortunately, we had to cancel our plans at the last minute which meant we were unable to reschedule or get our money back! I thought all was lost until I sent a quick email to the General Manager of the hotel. To my surprise, he agreed to let us book for another time.

We just returned home from our anniversary weekend and I have to say this was the best time we'd had since our honeymoon! Less than 30 minutes after we checked-in I laid across the bed just to see how comfortable it was and ended up falling asleep for about 35 minutes because the bed was SUPER comfortable. The only reason I woke up was because there was a knock at my door. I thought it was my husband who went to check out the fitness center, spa and pool but, it turned out to be one of the hotel staff with a tray of petit fours, a bottle of wine, two glasses and a card. Upon opening the card I found that it was from the Mr. McGillivray, the General Manager, wishing us a nice weekend! I could go on and on about how superb this hotel and its' staff are. I would HIGHLY recommend the Westin Washington Dulles hotel to anyone traveling between NOVA and DC whether for business or pleasure.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2010

I recently stayed at the Westin Dulles for one night while on a business trip. Check-in was a breeze and the room was spacious and clean. Fixtures were modern with clean lines, but yet cozy. The bathroom was beautiful with great lighting and a great shower. The hotel is a bit off the beaten track - my taxi driver had to call the hotel to find out how to get there, despite my mapquest directions. The hotel offers an airport shuttle (which I didn't know about), so that is your best bet. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Hyatt Regency Dulles
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles Airport

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!