“New, Quiet, Comfortable, Affordable & Clean”

The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ithaca, NY
“New, Quiet, Comfortable, Affordable & Clean”
Reviewed March 29, 2010

We stayed at the Westin Dulles while attending a conference in DC due to the terrific rates and free parking. The cost was more than 50% less than the cheapest hotel we could find in the district. The hotel is a bit out of the way and next to a see through (vacant) office building and in an office building/town home office park. The hotel is brand new and exactly what you expect from a Westin. The hotel was not busy when we were there. My guess is that occupancy rates are low and the affordable rates are an attempt to raise them. (It worked for us!) There is a lobby restaurant and a shuttle to the airport. The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are modern.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed March 27, 2010

This is your typical Westin, you enter the room and you will love it. The room is clean, contemporary, the towels are plush, there is a sparking shower and no tub and the bed is so comfy. And when you pay only $59 for it (Hotwire price), it will sure put a smile on your face. This hotel had all the amenities you want but like any other 4 star, they will make you pay for everything and pay a lot. The only negatives about the room - the internet though $11/day was slow and the room can be a little warm at night even at 65, this did not disturb us too much because the bed was so nice.

Now about the hotel:
The location depends on why you are there - it is a good 20 minutes from the closest train station to Washington, DC. Traffic can be a nightmare on weekdays unless you time your travel around the work time traffic. If you are traveling for business, there are many companies in and around this area and the airport is close by so I can imagine that it would be good. As is usual in the DC suburbs, you will have all forms of shopping close to you.

The service has much to be desired. The person who checked us in was polite but we could feel him looking down his nose at us. Either rich people (the rack rate is very expensive for this area) like snootiness or else we were the undesirable but better than nothing hotwire crowd. When we asked for a king room vs the standard double that you get with hotwire, the check in agent made a little fuss and then proceeded to give us a small lecture about calling ahead to the hotel when you make a booking on hotwire. We were a little irritated by this but this was only until we reached the room. Once we settled down into the very comfy bed and mindlessly browsed the channels on tv, we soon forgot the person and enjoyed the lovely room.

Some downsides to the hotel but the 5 star room more than makes up for it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
virginia
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Back in January I booked a reservation at The Westin Washington Dulles hotel through Hotwire. My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. Unfortunately, we had to cancel our plans at the last minute which meant we were unable to reschedule or get our money back! I thought all was lost until I sent a quick email to the General Manager of the hotel. To my surprise, he agreed to let us book for another time.

We just returned home from our anniversary weekend and I have to say this was the best time we'd had since our honeymoon! Less than 30 minutes after we checked-in I laid across the bed just to see how comfortable it was and ended up falling asleep for about 35 minutes because the bed was SUPER comfortable. The only reason I woke up was because there was a knock at my door. I thought it was my husband who went to check out the fitness center, spa and pool but, it turned out to be one of the hotel staff with a tray of petit fours, a bottle of wine, two glasses and a card. Upon opening the card I found that it was from the Mr. McGillivray, the General Manager, wishing us a nice weekend! I could go on and on about how superb this hotel and its' staff are. I would HIGHLY recommend the Westin Washington Dulles hotel to anyone traveling between NOVA and DC whether for business or pleasure.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed March 17, 2010

I recently stayed at the Westin Dulles for one night while on a business trip. Check-in was a breeze and the room was spacious and clean. Fixtures were modern with clean lines, but yet cozy. The bathroom was beautiful with great lighting and a great shower. The hotel is a bit off the beaten track - my taxi driver had to call the hotel to find out how to get there, despite my mapquest directions. The hotel offers an airport shuttle (which I didn't know about), so that is your best bet. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
WI
Reviewed March 7, 2010

This Westin Deserves an Award for Excellent Customer Service. I checked in on a Friday nite, and was VERY impressed. The hotel is new, and the staff is AMAZING! I wanted some recommendations on dinner, and was given a list of 60 plus restaurants. The Front Desk Associate gave me his personal recommendation in the area I was traveling to, and let me tell you, It was AMAZING FOOD! (Reston Towne Center).

Thanks Westin! I will be back if traveling in this area!

Note for travelers traveling to this area: If your GPS has not been updated, its on a road that will not come up on the GPS! Its tucked in back of some buildings, in a very quiet area with a great walking trail!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
WestinDulles, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, March 10, 2010
Thank you for this glowing feedback. We are working hard to make every guest feel at home - it's nice to hear from you when we are successful.

For those reading this, please don't hesitate to call us at 703-793-3366 if you can't find us in your GPS. Though we are working to get our road added to the various map databases out there, it does take time, and in the meanwhile we're more than happy to guide you over the phone.
Newton, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed February 21, 2010

As others have said, this hotel looks AMAZING! However, the service leaves a bit to be desired. Most significantly, I had to request soap for my room - there was none in the room when I arrived! Also, it took longer than it should have to be seated at the restaurant for breakfast, and my server forgot I'd ordered grapefruit juice for about half my meal. Location is annoying to get to from the highway, and impossible to find (not in GPS due to street names being new). However, rate was terrific, and hotel (room and lobby) were phenomenal

• Stayed March 2010
Washington, DC
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I spend 3 days and 2 nights during the Washington "Super Storm". I had no idea it was brand new (opened in Nov 2009). I thought the "Grand Opening Special" was because they had taken over an existing property. Well was I wrong about this hotel!! The look was different but everything else was the standard one would expect from this chain. When it became apparent that no one was going anywhere for a few days, the hotel made arrangements for the existing staff to be accommodated on site and have fresh and rested personnel available. The front desk staff became waiters when required, and bartenders bus boys. They did everything possible to make all the guests have as pleasant a stay as possible under the circumstances. Even when the sattellite TV went out, everyone could watch a free movie. The big plasma TV was great, the bed so comfortable, and the big bathroom was designed to look like you were at at home and not in just another hotel bathroom. I cannot say enough about my stay - I recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
WestinDulles, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, February 12, 2010
Thank you very much for the kind words. It was a rather strange week of changed travel plans and frustrations for travellers. We just tried to make sure everyone was having some fun and making the best of the situation!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Hyatt Regency Dulles
Hyatt Regency Dulles
#5 of 20 in Herndon
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Hilton Washington Dulles Airport
Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!