“Horrible experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in April 2014. On my way to the airport after checking out I realized I left my expensive sunglasses in my room. When I got in touch with the hotel they informed me that they found sunglasses in my room on the exact same morning that I checked out. However, after weeks of unreturned phone calls and emails, as well as leaving my information with them several times, they are now backtracking and saying they don't have my sunglasses (which were worth double the room rental price). The hotel is now saying a cheaper pair is what they found (how they could have found a different pair in my room on the same morning I stayed there and lost mine is beyond my comprehension!). So either someone switched my sunglasses with a cheaper pair or the hotel misplaced them and there is nothing they will do about it. For me this experience can be characterized as incompetence, unprofessionalism, and dishonesty. This has been one of the worst experiences I have ever had with a hotel and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, especially given the other options close by.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Adam2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Korean first
Aurora, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

We were visiting DC with all our adult family members with their spouses and were pleasantly surprised with the décor which was very soothing. Our rooms appeared to be brand new in décor and the rain head spa shower was fantastic. We enjoyed the free WIFI and were thrilled with the direction on getting to the metro in the horrendous traffic in VA/DC. The front desk was very attentive to all the special needs of our party of 8 adults. Since we flew into Dulles this was one of 5 choices and we had and would stay there again. Their exercise room was top notch . The grounds were immaculate and there are plenty of options for additional dining outside of their wonderful dining room. The food was great and they accommodated some special dietary requirements. housekeeping was nice and pleasant

Green Features: SInce this a green hotel it was nice how they suggested no room service and then you would get additional funds applied to your SPG account.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Barb C
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for your review and I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Westin Dulles. Your compliments were a pleasure to read. I am delighted to hear you were thoroughly spoiled by our team and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have used the Westin Dulles to house Virginia Military Institute Cadets from out-of-state waiting for their outbound flights. I have also stayed there on occasion. The hotel desk has been extremely accommodating to the Cadets and me, assisting with their flight arrangements and seeing that they get to the airport on time. It is a very nice hotel with clean, well-appointed and comfortable rooms. The rooms have effective sound-proofing, so tired guests are not disturbed by traffic by the nearby Route 28 or the airport. The staff is friendly and efficient. There is also a very good restaurant and room service. The lobby bar appears to be a convivial gathering place for business executives. For keeping fit, there is an excellent work-out room with a variety of machines and weights, and a lap pool with hours coinciding to the businessperson’s schedule. With their very reasonable rates, this is a top value hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
I am grateful for your return to the Westin Dulles hotel and thank you for your positive remarks about your experience here. As great as it is to have a beautiful new facility here, it is really the staff that makes our hotel what it is, and they strive to go above and beyond to welcome every guest who walks into our lobby everyday.  We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Boulder, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014

Normally I really like Westins. It must just be this one in particular, or at least I hope so since I'm traveling a lot for work this year.

This hotel is advertised as having free wifi and a swimming pool. In fact, you have to pay for the wifi, and the swimming pool is only open a few hours a week. They claimed some legal excuse for this about lifeguards but that turned out to not be true.

There was also a huge amount of noise in the hallway on my floor at night when I was trying to sleep. I called the front desk to ask if they could ask the hallway partiers to take it inside so I could go back to sleep. About twenty minutes later the front desk woke me up themselves by calling to ask if I had the room number of the people in the hallway.

I recommend that you avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank ajjpape
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We do offer many rates that include wifi but we do not advertise free wifi throughout the hotel although we do offer free high speed internet in our lobby and complimentary use of our business center.

Due to Section 69.1-3-8 of the Fairfax County Code of Ordinances here in Virginia a lifeguard is required by law effectively limiting the hours of operation for our pool. I understand this can be an inconvenience so we try to keep our pool open during peak hours. However, effective Memorial Day our new hours are 9 am to 9 pm 7 days a week.

I'm sorry for the trouble experienced during your stay as our mission is to satisfy each and every guest that walks through our doors. We hope that you will give us another chance in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

Westin Washington Dulles Airport hotel staff is always a pleasure to work with, I have been coming there annually for about 4 years. The customer service at the front desk, bell service and food staff is awesome and the food is good!

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the side with the view ot the beautiful lake.
Green Features: Everyone is very friendly, which make the hotel environment relaxing!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Carmiepn
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Thank you for your review. I was absolutely delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your complimentary comments. We do hope to welcome you back very soon.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

I was here for a convention event, so I spent the weekend in the hotel. Willingly gave me early check in and an hour late check out. Very clean, comfortable, modern furnished room. Friendly and attentive staff throughout the hotel. Fresh and abundant hot buffet breakfast in the comfy and bright restaurant. I did not use the pool or exercise facility. Convenient and complimentary parking garage. One complaint: there is a charge for wi-fi. Boo.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dancer123567
Thank you for your feedback with fellow online viewers. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Westin Dulles and your comments were wonderful to read. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

McLean, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

Overall, the only hard product that made this hotel a Westin is probably its lobby. I kind of don't see the "heavenly bed" here. I tend to rate this hotel 3 stars but the hotel staff really stepped this place up.

First of all, for all these "standarized" "westins and Sheratons", they are all pretty much the same. The only thing I would value/differentiate a westin over a Sheraton is their bed. I always get a better sleep on Westin beds and I appreciate the "heavenly bed".
But for this Westin I don't get that sleep. The sheet is like plastic, the bed is not comfy enough, and my mom and I did not have a good enough sleep.
The hotel lobby is gorgeous and big, so one may expect well. It didn't catch up with the hard product in room, however. The pool was so-so, the whirlpool was not very hot, the room was standard...

But I can't give this hotel 3 stars. I would so like to give them 5 stars but it's more like a 4 1/2. All because of the great hotel staff.

I have made 2 reservations with this hotel within a very short amount of time, one is a priceline booking to get my in-laws from IAD. I was well impressed by the staff at that moment already -- They got a 7th floor room and warm welcome on that day. Usually you just get a cold tone when they say "it's prepaid via priceline" -- These people didn't. Instead, they gave them high floors and a quiet room (Unfortunately my wife told me that the bed was "not so good" as well, and I boasted about heavenly bed in front of her)
The 2nd time was via regular SPG. I already booked the Sheraton Premiere that day with my mom, actually, but I can't beat one more stay (towards my upcoming Plat) with SPG Hot Escape posted them for $60/night. So I dragged my mom here at 10 am to see if I can put the luggage here and check in at ~12 (gotta go to work at 1). To my amazement, they checked me in at 10 AM and also offered me late check out...WOW, that's more than YOUR24 sir...I had to decline the late check out since there is no need to, but, they seriously solved my problems and gave me a lot of advantages because of their friendly gesture. It may be a small thing to them but means a lot to me!

Anyways, I always find Westin Staff really attentive, warm, and extremely nice, and this one particular. They really stepped this hotel up, and I think management played an important role here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Westin Dulles. Please accept my sincere apology about the beds. We will certainly look into it and make sure they are up to heavenly standards. We take great pride in delivering excellent service and comments like yours assures me that we are on the right track. We do hope to welcome you back very soon.

Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East
Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!