“Good Westin Property, great location”

The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 20, 2014

This past week I stayed at this Westin for the first time. The location is great, if you're doing business in the Reston/Herndon/Ashburn area. The restaurant and staff are very accomodating, and the room was clean. The hallways could use a little perking up, a little worn and dated, however the room itself was great. They have valet parking for $10 overnite, which I think was great, and they were very prompt about having my car ready. I will definitely stay at this property again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Thank you for your feedback with fellow online viewers. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Westin Dulles and your comments were wonderful to read. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Washington Dulles Airport

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Stayed one night here on the third floor, in January because of a missed flight. Service was great and staff very friendly and helpful. Room was very quiet, and beautifully decorated, with 2 queen beds, excellent bathroom with big shower area. The only thing I would complain about here happens in a lot of hotels. They give 6 pillows per bed, why? Personally I think 2 is enough for anyone. Otherwise full marks.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank larrygrehan
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay here at the Westin Dulles. Many of our guests stay here just for a night before a long flight, or, because of a missed flight like yourself. We offer extremely quiet rooms throughout the hotel with our Westin Heavenly Beds to provide a very relaxing experience for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Wow - reasonable price, excellent room, great room service, over-the-top amazing, friendly service. This was truly a joy - stayed here for a business trip and it was the perfect location from which to jump to DC, or to where I was working in Clifton. I wish all airport hotels were this good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review and I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Westin Dulles. Your compliments were a pleasure to read. I am delighted to hear you were thoroughly spoiled by our team and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I booked the hotel through hotwire for 2 nights. The price is very reasonable and the room is good size, clean, quiet and beds are comfortable. I have nothing to complain about on that. But I wasn't happy with its wi-fi service,

1) hotwire deal says wi-fi and parking are free. It was confirmed when I checked-in. The guy told me that I will not be charged wi-fi
2) when loggin wi-fi, you have to agree to be charged $9.95/day. Otherwise, you won't be able to continue. I called the front-desk and the lady reassured me that I won't be charged wi-fi
3) the username/password was only good for one device, like laptop. if I want to use cell phone, ipad, I won't be able to log in. I called technical support, the guy had to set up the group policy so the username/password will work for all devices. I think by default, it's not.
4) wi-fi was down for about 5 hrs in my 2nd days of staying.
5) when I checked out, the final bill had 2 days of wi-fi charge, The guy told me wi-fi is not free and there was no notes in the system that it's free for me. He eventually waived the charge, but I would not expect this ever happened.
6) I was charged $1 for a incoming call. I know phone bill is one of the revenue sources for hotels but I wasn't expect any charge for incoming call. Maybe the rule has changed.

I stayed in many hotels. It caught me off guard this time, because for all the hotel I stayed, I wouldn't say I had great experience on all of them, but they all honor what they promised.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank yzhang018
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us at the Westin Dulles. I was sorry to hear that our Wi-Fi service was not to your liking. I will certainly follow up with my team to address these concerns. I do hope you will reconsider and return to the Westin Dulles as I would like you to experience the Hotel as I would have liked you to on this visit. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Be Well, Be Westin,

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I have arrived to the hotel last night around 1am. Check-in went smoothly, however in the room I discovered there is a damaged ceiling in the shower area, and as you can see on the photo it looks disgusting.
I walked down to the reception that I left literally 5 minutes earlier and receptionist ( the same one as 5 minutes before) asked me if I want to check-in ??? ( he must have been sleeping in a back room) I told the problem and left hotel for some time - On my return I was given new room, however no help was offered to move stuff between floors, and the only thing I heard was - I'm sorry ( like nothing never happened)

Today morning after 9am I was woke up by cleaning staff, but ok - I was to tired yesterday to think about hanging - do not disturb card outside the door...

Last think I do not like so far - at the entrance I was not offered even a small bottle of water - I have found one in the room for 5$.

Other than that - I don't know yet, I will update review when I leave this hotel, as I'm still there for another few days.

2  Thank Hiyaho2014
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your current stay. I sincerely hope we have addressed your concerns and that you are satisfied with the corrective actions taken. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you feel that we could be of any additional assistance. We look forward to your continued patronage and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Just spent one night here in the middle of a long business trip--during which I stayed at other Starwood properties on the other nights. I thought to myself as a sat down to write this review "I should have given the other places lower marks so that this one would stand out more." The hotel is magnificently appointed, and the rooms are clean and spacious. The bathroom is one of the better ones I've ever been in, and certainly the best I've seen at this price point. The double head shower was a treat, and the provided products were all excellent. The food in the bar and restaurant was excellent, and quite reasonably priced. The fitness facility here is nicer than a few of the gyms that I have had memberships too. To top that off, Westin has a program where they will lend you workout gear right down to the running shoes. While I travel with my own stuff, I thought I would give it a try. One phone call and 5 minutes later I had a brand new (tags still on them!) running shirt and socks to use--saving me one washing-out-in-the-sink for my own stuff. All the service that I received was fast and efficient, and I would stay here again anytime I needed to do an overnight at Dulles.

1  Thank Tom B
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Wow! Thank you so much for your very kind review. I was thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and your compliments are truly appreciated. We do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I was at the Westin Dulles Airport for a business meeting for 5 nights in January. I was underwhelmed, mostly by the lack of attention to service. The front desk staff is more interested in talking to one another than helping the guests.

In the room:
-the rooms were a GREAT size. Plenty of room to move around; Bathroom and shower were both pretty large.
-The room temp was nearly impossible to get right--regardless of the temp you set (on the digital thermostat), it was either a hot box or a freezer. No middle ground.
-The Make a Green Choice program is confusing. If you elect to have your room not cleaned, you get a $5 food credit. What the sign (and front desk) doesn't tell you is that you have to have the front desk sign you up. When I asked the desk about why I didn't get my credit for two days, no apology for the mixup--only a "well, did you ask us to sign you up?"

Restaurant:
No complaints. Service was pretty good, food was good! I got a lobster carbonara, and the lobster tail was cooked very well.

Shuttle:
Ho boy, don't piss off the shuttle driver. He's not a friendly guy (I realize there is more than one driver, and I don't want to speak poorly of the others).

With so many hotels in the market, this one doesn't necessarily have a location advantage. No real reason to stay here vs. any other hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We take great pride in our level of service and our overall service ratings which is why it was very disturbing to hear of your experience, particularly with our staff. I can assure you I will address our Front Desk team directly to remind them that they should always be aware of any and all guests in the lobby and ready to assist with a smile.
To clarify the Make A Green Choice program, if you sign up for Make A Green Choice at check-in, housekeeping will not clean your room during your stay and you will receive a voucher redeemable for 500 points or $5 towards a food and beverage purchase.
If you would like to pick and choose the individual days you can simply use the hanger found in the room and just place it on your door the night before so you won't receive service the next day.
We have a great team of shuttle drivers so I will make sure to address your comments with them so that they are on top of their game 100% of the time.
Thank you for staying with us Andrew and feel free to contact me directly if you would like to elaborate in any way.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Hyatt Regency Dulles
Hyatt Regency Dulles
#5 of 20 in Herndon
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Hilton Washington Dulles Airport
Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel
Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!