All reviews heavenly bed dulles airport parking garage nice hotel starbucks coffee front desk staff connecting flight breakfast buffet an early flight business trip comfortable room fitness center reston town center free shuttle dc area shuttle service spg
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Was stranded due to flight cancellations recently and Westin was my 6 hour oasis
Arrived at 1:00 am and staff provided me a quiet room to catch a quick sleep before flight back out
Also provided me with Westin Workout clothes to utilize for sleep as I was stranded due to flight cancelation
Rooms are new, clean and very comfortable w the Excellent Westin Bedding
Walk in shower w dual shower heads always a plus

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Got this property off HotelTonight when we decided to extend our DC trip an extra night. VERY impressive hotel. Huge, gorgeous lobby. Very nice, spacious rooms. Large bathrooms.

I hope to return to this one next time we visit D.C.

ONE complaint!
Asked for extra water bottles since the ones in the mini-fridge were frozen solid and the gentleman at the front desk said he'd have them delivered to our room. The water never showed up.
Not a huge deal tho.. the tap water was cool enough.

Room Tip: Make sure you're facing the fountain/pond
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying here for a night after missing a connection. The shuttle ride to the terminal is about five minutes and runs 24 hours. Check in was quick and easy and the room was clean and what I'd expect for a Westin. We took advantage of room service for breakfast which was top notch. The hotel charges for high speed wifi, but does have available for free a 128K wifi connection which was usable for emails and simple web browsing. We had a good experience and would likely stay again if opportunity presents itself.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Justin D,

Thank you for your kind words, we take pride in the Westin experience we provide to our guests. We have a great team of bellmen who pick up at the :15 and :45 of every hour at airport for a short 10 minute ride to the hotel.
We hope to see you jumping on our shuttle again soon.

Yours in hospitality,
Linda Tierney
Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed at this hotel due to business I had at one of the local offices. Drove to the location as I live approximately 70 miles away. First, let me say this has to be one of the oddest locations for a hotel. It sits off of the main road behind some apartments/condos. You better have a GPS to find it because you will never see it otherwise. That all said, the area was very nice. The hotel was well-kept. The staff friendly and my room clean. As I drove, I had to park in their parking garage located behind the building. My only complaint with the garage was that it was too dark in there. They should consider some better lighting for safety reasons. But the garage was easy to enter and exit and they have an elevator to take you into the hotel. If I'm being picky, I wish the doors from the parking garage to the elevators would open automatically. Nothing like having your luggage, laptop and bag and then trying to open the doors while watching for the "mugger" that could be lurking in that dark garage.
As for location, I've already noted the hotel was built in a really odd spot. I kept wondering how they could zone residential and commerical like this but I guess VA has their own rules. For my purposes, this hotel was great because I could walk over to the office building of the company I was visiting. No need to drive my car there. The office park has built their own mini-lake with a water spout in the middle. I had a nice view of the water from my room. I could see the walking path around this mini lake and upon arrival decided to walk around just to get my bearings for the next days meeting. Well, wouldn't you know, the building's security officer stopped me while in the parking lot of the office building and asked me my business there. He was very polite and not threatening, I just found it unusual that he thought to stop and question me. Well, when I told him I was at the Westin and had business at the building that week, he said I was "OK" to walk the area but guests of the hotel in general are not allowed. As well, this walking path is NOT for those who live in apartments/condos that also sit next to this lake. What a shame but I guess the business pays for it so they set the rules and they just need the security to ensure none of the "neighbors"/hotel guests are walking on their path. So, if you are visiting at the Westin and not on business at the offices across the way, don't get tempted to walk around the lake path as you may get stopped by their security.
OK, on to food. Big note, there is NO WHERE to eat within walking distance except for the hotel. The first night, I just ate dinner at the hotel and the menu is very limited and very much overpriced. So disappointed by them. I never understand why hotels don't go more out of the way for better options but I guess in this case the Westin figures they have a captive audience for those who don't have cars and they are stuck with whatever food/prices they offer. Although I didn't use it, I do understand the hotel offers a shuttle to take their guests to various places around Herndon, which would include some restaurant options. I'm not sure how this works in regards to when you get picked up, if you call, or are there just scheduled times but something to check out if needed.
Last general issue, why can't house-keeping staff even speak a "smattering" of English??? I'm not asking for perfect English but a guest should be able to make a simple request that is understood without going through a 10 minute game of charades. It is typically my habit to not use house-keeping for short stays. I just request extra towels for the few days there. Well, I happen to catch the housekeeper as I was leaving my room the first night and was trying to ask her for some additional towels. Her poor eyes glazed over at me as if to say "OMG, what does this woman want". The housekeeper was very polite while we both went through the motions of figuring out what the other was trying to say. I truly think this was a moment for America's Funniest Home videos. Anyway, I got the extra towels and this poor woman probably never wanted to talk/mime to me again.
It may sound like I'm complaining more about this hotel than recommending it, but I'm not. It really was a very nice hotel with a great location for my purpose. I would gladly stay here again as it suited me just fine.

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the mini-lake if you want a nice view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Great place to stay, just a well kept and attractive hotel. Great bed, clean and fresh. Great staff! So why does a high end hotel that offers so much make pay a fee to use there wifi? I can get free wii at a coffee shop, I don't stay at a Westin cause its cheap, so why trouble me with a separate charge for what budget Hotels provide for free?

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Rwill97,

Thank you for your compliments and feedback about your experience.
I understand your frustration with the $9.95/24hr internet charge. Larger businesses and hotels (Westin Dulles has 314 guest rooms) usually charge more for internet because it is more costly for bandwidth and maintenance costs to provide high speed internet access to the modern guest who often has an iPad, laptop and smart phone all connected at once.
We truly appreciate your feedback as we are constantly analyzing ways to provide the most enjoyable stay possible for our guests.

Yours in hospitality,