WINNER WONDERLAND

The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Florida
“Could have been very good.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Westin is convenient to Dulles-less than a 5 min drive. The hotel is located in a residential area so there is a lack of restaurants unless you have a car. If you have a car the good news is they have free parking and there are some places to eat I the area...check Yelp. The parking garage is attached to the hotel so you have easy access.

The downside.....I can't believe that they charge for WIFI and the charge is $9.99 per day...are you kidding? Even the cheapest of hotels have free WIFI...in today's world that's like charging for TV. I am sure that I am not the only one who gets pissed when you are paying premium rates and then they rip you for something as common and free as WIFI....WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?

I would easily give them 4 stars if they weren't so greedy!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear ComeflywithmeFlorida,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Feedback from our guests such as yourself gives us the information we need to to improve our hotel and hotel service...
I understand your frustration with the $9.95 charge for internet per 24 hour period as I realize that many hotels offer complimentary internet access. Hotels have to make a decision between offering free internet access at an increased room rate or keeping the room rate low while charging for internet access. Of course, we have gone with the latter. You will find that most large hotels charge for internet access because providing internet service has become more and more costly these days. Many of our guests have multiple devices accessing the internet between tablets, phones, and laptops which demands exponentially more bandwidth and maintenance.
Regardless, your comments are well received and our management team in combination with Westin and Starwood Hotels determines the best strategies to make our guests happy each and every stay.
Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope that you are enjoying your Thanksgiving holiday!

Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Korean first
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

4 Star Hotel for 3 nights. What a nice place to stay and the staff is extra friendly. Found a very cheap rate for the stay. Clean room, good bedding package and close to all activities. Hopefully we will stay again.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be wonderful.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Mount Pocono, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Washington Dulles airport was built with the intention of it being isolated and far away from the madding crowd in Washington DC. Thirty years ago it was often a pain to have to pay for the boring toll road out of DC to Dulles in order to catch international flights. The Dulles toll road ran almost from the steps of the State Department, past CIA HQ in Langley then on a seemingly neverending, boring highway to far distant Dulles. It was perfect for government types and big shots because they could take advantage of a long limo ride away from the congestion of National (Reagan) Airport.

I was shocked to see how much the area around Dulles has changed over those 30 years. Talk about "urban sprawl"! It's unreckognizable. I was told it is very reminiscent of Silicon Valley now - with modern high-rise office building and blocks upon blocks of townhouses littering the once rolling farms and meadows. In the weekend we spent in that area I never once caught a glimpse of the actual airport. Just too many shopping centers, business headquarters and cookie cutter homes.

But in this morass of conformity we were very very pleased to find accomodations at the reasonably priced, yet elegant Dulles Westin. From the moment we pulled into the curved driveway this place exuded class. Not stuffy, but efficient, friendly and modern trappings for the business and leisure visitor. The doorman, the front desk staff and the bartenders on the ground floor entrance made our initial impression very positive with their smiles and willingness to accomodate. By joining the Westin frequent visitor club (which we will probably never use again) we acquired two free passes to the over-priced breakfast buffet.

Our rooms were well-maintained, modern, spacious and comfortable. You would never know there was an airport nearby. We never heard any planes until we walked outside the hotel. There was plenty of free parking, although the setup was somewhat inconvenient: the lot was a multi-level garage that required guests to take one elevator down to the ground level near the many ballrooms, then walk through the lobby, then down another corridor to the elevator bank for the rooms. Kind of a pain with lots of luggage and a dog.

Oh yeah, the second floor is dog friendly. You do have to put down a refundable deposit, but you are allowed to bring your pets with you. It is a testament to the maid service that this super allergic guest had no problems with previous pets' dander or "deposits". Considering the fact that it had been used on previous occassions by other visitors' pets, there was no indication of any messes or damage. Very clean.

For airport travelers the Westin has 4 different shuttle buses. It seemed there was always one available in the front driveway.

Other than the strange parking lot set-up, the only other minor gripe was the difficulty in finding the Westin. There is no signage in the area, I suppose to mainatain the "beauty" of the locale, but our GPS was able to direct us there eventually. Without a GPS we'd still be looking.

Room Tip: Stay off the second floor if you don't need to bring your pet. Unless you get it free, pass...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Doug L
Atlanta, GA USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel is a good choice if you need to be close to IAD. The shuttle service is good and the staff is helpful. The room is exactly what you would expect from a Westin: clean, comfortable, and very pleasant.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We needed to find last minute accommodations due to a flight mishap. We we picked up at
The airport by a cheerful shuttle driver and greeted at the front desk by two friendly expert staff. Our room was quiet, modern, clean and comfortable. We went to the lobby at for dinner ad a drink. We were really pleased. Again, excellent service and good quality. I would not hesitate recommending His hotel to anyone needing an overnight stay near the airport. Can't imagine you will find better, particularly at the low rate we had. This was high quality/value fo the price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear funandrelaxation,

We have many guests in your same situation who must book a hotel reservation last minute due to a flight mishap. We understand what you may have been through already at the airport and our team does our best to provide a welcoming, peaceful and enjoyable experience at our hotel.
Our "cheerful shuttle driver" and our "two friendly expert staff" at the Front Desk as you put it understands they are your first point of contact with us and they do their best to make your stay an enjoyable one.
Thank you for your kind words and we hope that we will see you again in the near future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for an overnight layover at Dulles. For an airport hotel, I would say this property is above average, but inferior to other Westins I have stayed at. However, it met basic requirements of cleanliness and modern amenities.
My biggest complaint was with the competency and professionalism of the front-desk staff. Upon check in, I was interrupted so that staff could discuss the score of the world series baseball game. More importantly, I was not offered the "welcome gift" of free in-room wifi or bonus starpoints. When asked about this, the front desk clerk incorrectly told me that free wifi was not available for gold-status members. In addition, a room-upgrade was denied to me even though I know (based upon the SPG app on my smart phone), enhanced rooms were available. Finally, upon check-out, the front desk clerk was "multi-tasking," attempting to check me out and reserve a cab on the phone. This same clerk also tried to convince me to forfeit a cab that I ordered for myself and give this cab to another guest.
In summary, the Westin Dulles would be considered adequate as an airport hotel, but would only recommend it if you are able to get a competitive rate or have SPG points to burn.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Traveler644,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am very disappointed to hear your report about how you were treated during the check-in and check-out processes by our Front Desk staff. Our staff usually does a great job of remaining professional and always giving undivided attention to our guests. I will most certainly address this with our Front Office Manager, Sean Holcombe, to make sure that he addresses your concerns with his staff.
If you have more details about who you spoke with specifically or even which day and time it was, feel free to e-mail Sean at Sean.Holcombe@westinwashingtondulles.com so that he can speak with that associate directly.
Thank you once again for your feedback, it allows us to improve our hotel service.

Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had a crappy day trying to get home from Dallas to NY. I got stuck overnight due to the airlines issues and was given a voucher for the Westin. Now, normally I would not write a review like this, but I am fed up with this crappy customer service.

my credit card was taken for "incidentals", but I was told that I would not be charged for anything since I checked in after the restaurant and vending area were closed. I even have a reciept to prove a zero balance when I left after only stayin in the hotel for 5 hours to get back to the airlines. I am all checked out with a 0 Balance only to get my CC statement that they charged me $100.!!! Now, NO one from the Westin is calling me back so that I can get this charge taken care of! I have left 3 messages and I am going to be fighting the charge with my CC company.

But feel that this kind of run around should stop! I have the 0 balance reciept..... This is also from a stay on 10/5, so now 20 days later I am still having to deal with it. Just take this as a warning, nicer is not always better when you stay away from home... I have never had this problem while traveling for work with other hotels in the holiday inn, marriot, crowne plaza family.

Room Tip: Dont stay here if you get the vouchers from an airline at the DC Airport. Apparently the vouchers ar...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank BadgerFan2402
Dear BadgerFan2402,

I am sorry to hear of your trouble with the billing issues you experienced here. First and foremost, I can assure you that the $100 charge you see on your account is only a hold since the airline is paying for your room and tax. I realize that it has been weeks since your departure, however often times with debit cards the hold can take weeks to be released. We release holds on our end as soon as our guests check-out but the banks often take much longer to release the holds depending on the individual bank policies.
Please feel free to call our Front Office Manager, Sean Holcombe, at his direct line, 571-485-4401, to further assist you with this issue.

Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Hyatt Regency Dulles
Hyatt Regency Dulles
#5 of 20 in Herndon
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel
Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!