“Slightly surprised and slightly dissapointed”

The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Royersford, PA
“Slightly surprised and slightly dissapointed”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We booked this hotel for a short stay to help my son relocate to the Herdon Area. While the hotel is very modern and the lobby is well appointed there were two items which left me dissapointed. Firstly when we arrived around 5:00 p.m. we were informed that their restaurant would be closed for the evening. After many hours of driving there we were back in the car to find something for dinner. I will point out that there are literally hundreds of places to eat, but I really didn't feel like driving anywhere else. Secondly when we were preparing to check out the next day I did the normal double check to make sure we hadn't forgotten anything, and was surprised to find the entire top dresser drawer filled with SOMEBODY'S CLOTHES......NOT OURS! This does not speak well for the cleaning of the room. Also we noticed empy "sleeves" from cookies under the chair by the window. Nice room overall, but more attention needed to details!

Room Tip: They have a $10.00 fee for Valet, but if you pull around the back into the parking garage it is simp...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RofoBeth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Phoenix AZ
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Stayed with a group. Lovely property; comfortable room. Attentive and responsive front desk. Outrageous room service charge ($6 for 2 slices of toasted bread - no butter, no jam, nothing!!) Decent work-out facility (used treadmill only, but there was much more). The only odd thing ( which I deem "creepy") is that housekeeping folded my clothes daily. Anything left on a chair back or small table was folded! At first, I thought I was imagining things, so I left clothing conspicuously out the next day. Sure enough, it was folded upon my return. Also, my cosmetics on the bathroom counter were placed on a washcloth and arranged just so. Some may like it; I'm just not a fan of people handling my belongings.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
NYC
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Arrived late evening and was surprised by the atmosphere with people in the lobby and bar ( normally airport hotels are just for staying over ). It felt like I am in downown DC. Not sure when the property is opened it looked very new and fresh, smell of true westin property. Check in was smooth and quick. Room clean with all Westin amenities available. The rate I paid worth every dollar spent. Definately will stay here if any chance in the future

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank SahibM
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your stay at the Westin Dulles hotel. We are delighted our staff provided a great experience and appreciate your positive feedback. I have shared your comments with our team. We hope to have you as a guest again if your future travels bring you back to the Dulles area.

minneapolis, mn
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We needed a Dulles area hotel. The shuttle worked well. The room was Westin standard. The restaurant was surprisingly very good. There is a manmade lake across the street for a walk. But there is nothing else nearby--no other restaurant, coffee, nothing. And there were no cabs. This is Dulles shuttle in, Dulles shuttle out. To get into town, you shuttle back to Dulles and take it from there. Hotel is used by flight crews.

Room Tip: long halls. when I asked for a quiet room, it was 30 doors down from the elevator...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nonamesforme
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Hotel was nice - shuttle was easy and convenient. Great stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cdntraveller060
We appreciate you taking the time to provide the hotel with feedback regarding your recent stay.
I am glad you had a wonderful experience and we hope you will stay with us again if your travels bring you back to the Dulles Herndon area.

New Philadelphia, Ohio
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Of course Westin hotels are usually very comfortable and very nice , but I just wanted to say if you stay here order the poached eggs for breakfast. Organic and cooked perfectly.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Delcie S
Columbia MD
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We've stayed at this hotel 4 times, and each time there has been some kind of issue. We have continued to try again since we're active Starwood members and this hotel is the most convenient for us to stay at before an early morning flight from Dulles. However, we're going back to the Hyatt from now on.

Back in mid-February we ordered room service and received the most vile meal I have ever experienced at a Westin. We sent it back and received no acknowledgment from management, just a defensive comment that there was nothing wrong with the eggs (they were most definitely from a carton, not from a real egg, despite the Westin's claims to offer fresh/healthy foods). We made the mistake of going back a couple of weeks ago before an early morning flight to St. Maarten. I requested a wake up call and also tried to set the alarm in the room, which was not working. It was late so I programmed my iPhone for 15 minutes later than my wake up call, just as a precaution. Well, thank God for the iPhone alarm! The wake up call never came. I called down to the front desk to complain and they again just said/did nothing.

On top of the service issues there are several other problems, including the world's loudest slamming doors on every room, bright flashing red lights on the sprinkler system that keep you awake at night, an excruciatingly slow/long airport shuttle trip, and other infrastructure flaws that make this beautiful hotel less than restful.

Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me. There won't be a third time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your candid remarks about our hotel. I apologize we fell short in meeting your expectations during your past visits to our hotel. Our entire team at the Westin Dulles is dedicated to providing excellent service, a comfortable guest room and exceptional food and beverage service. It is very disappointing to hear we failed to deliver our promise in so many ways during your stay. I have shared your comments with our team. I apologize again and hope you will consider returning as a guest in the future.

Linda Tierney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Hyatt Regency Dulles
Hyatt Regency Dulles
#5 of 20 in Herndon
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Hilton Washington Dulles Airport
Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!