New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rockville, Maryland
“Bizarre inconsistencies!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

If all you want is a really nice, comfortable bed and a clean pretty bathroom, stay here. If you want good food and any kind of design logic, stay elsewhere. In other words, if you are tired and not alert to very subtle clues, be prepared to be extremely frustrated.
Entering the lobby, the check in is so discreet, it is hard to find. I never did find a restroom on the first floor. I drove around the hotel looking for the entrance to the parking garage only to find, after I'd parked in one of the four spots by the restaurant, that the dirty service alley I thought went to the kitchens actually led to the garage - there is no sign. The elevators to the rooms are hidden (no sign) and when we finally got the attention of the valet parking attendant, we found out the elevator to the parking garage is even more hidden behind the conference center (no sign). We had chosen this hotel because it had a pool and a hot tub and we had to be somewhere nearby at 7am. So we went to the pool and tried 4 times to get in the door labeled "Pool - hours ...." The lifeguard was lounging within sight of the door on his phone. Eventually we found a second, unlabeled door (of course) which did open to our key cards. The tiny pool was not really worth it, but the hot tub was very hot and the towels were nice. After the pool, we went to the restaurant for a quick bite before bed and the service and food was typical of this type of hotel - very expensive, not very good, with very slow service. All in all, I don't regret it, but I paid more for 2 meals, 4 desserts, 2 cups of coffee and 1 glass of wine than I did for the room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MeganBTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Korean first
Anderson, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

We spent one night at the Westin Washington Dulles Hotel- What a great place to stay. The beds were by far the most comfortable that we have ever slept on. There is a restaurant onsite that has a great breakfast buffet but if you don't want that much to eat, you can order off the menu.
Very clean and the bell hops were the best. We used Valet parking ($10.00), we used the valet 3 times and the car was always waiting for us when we got to the lobby.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ginnyeck
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

Stayed here for a night en route to downtown DC. This a clean, modern property. I found the service fine, including room service and the hotline calling me a cab to DC. Room was large and clean, reasonably quiet for an airport hotel. There is really nothing around the hotel for a visitor. The airport shuttle runs every 30 minutes, which is not sufficient in my opinion for an "airport" hotel. Having said that, it was right on time.

Overall, I would stay here again for a night. This is a nicer property than many other hotels around Dulles, some of which are real dumps. I would not recommend for a longer stay unless you have a car.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

it's a nice westin. what you expect in the rooms/
when i checked in the lady didn't look me in the eye.
i ordered room service. i was excited about the pasta with morels and braised veal shanks. i was disappointed when it arrived. the food wasn't seasoned. the pasta was overcooked. the veal was so so. i found a few morels.
but overall the hotel is nice. what yo expect for a westin.

Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Virginia, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

Our stay was wonderful, the room and public areas were very clean. The issue arose the day after check out. I left my camera charger plugged in at the desk. Admittedly my fault. When I called the hotel to inquire, I was treated rudely by the front desk attendant who answered the phone and treated rudely again by the manager after I requested to speak with him. Neither employee spoke English with any degree of proficiency. The manager immediately told me that "nothing was left in the room", then hung up on me while I was still speaking. I called back and requested the housekeeping department, was asked to hold, then cut off. I hate to blacklist a seemingly fine hotel since we had no issues with the actual stay, but this is a SERVICE INDUSTRY. If one expects some degree of help or professionalism from the staff I suggest staying elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank E11bee
Baltimore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

Nice facility - well maintained - good location for Dulles flights.
Service is not up to what you would think Westin standards SHOULD be. It started at check in with an indifferent welcome at BEST. I am a Starwood Platinum member - so have been around the block a few times. The service was average at best. In the room - although clean and well maintained - the iron was a mess - with something crusted over it. Requested a replacement - which took forever. The second iron leaked all of the water - over my clothes. Requested yet another replacement. Finally - it worked.
The following morning was catching an early flight out. The restaurant does not open for breakfast until 6:30 - which seemed late for an airport and business hotel. I arrivede at 6:35 - and could not even get a glass of water for 10 minutes!
But the shuttle was the worst! Had to wait to depart until the flight crew was ready - even though it was past the standard departure time. And on the return pick up - the same. Except with that - the flight crew was late - so it became very frustrating. The driver said that they have a commitment to the flight crews. I guess so - obviously NOT to regular paying customers or their top customers.
I called to clomplain to the manager. He was not available. I asked to have him call me - he NEVER did.
I WILL NOT STAY AT THIS FACILITY AGAIN.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tropix7
Roswell, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

From the moment the shuttle picked us up at the airport, this hotel was first-class all the way. Free shuttle, the glorious Westin beds, exceptional service at check in, free breakfast buffet for two at an AWESOME price. Not one detail is missed in the rooms. The view is even lovely for an airport hotel. There isn't any place near by to eat, but you don't need it. The hotel restaurant is delicious and very, very reasonably priced. When they finish the Metro rail line to Dulles, this will be my hotel of choice.

Room Tip: If you aren't a rewards member, sign up before you make reservations. They really do treat you s...