“No worries, super staff”

Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for business twice in 3 weeks. Front desk is super friendly and helpful. It really is guests and customers first here. The breakfast is good, parking is easy, and the rooms are always clean. Great location to Reston Town Center and Herndon restaurants.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I would like to preface this review by saying that Jim, the hotel manager did everything possible to try to remedy the problems that I encountered by giving me points and by refunding most of my stay costs, which I felt was both generous and appropriate.

Having said that, I chose this hotel because when I called and asked they said that they had an on call shuttle and that meant that within a few minutes the shuttle would head to the airport to pick you up. It was exceptionally cold in DC and the front desk said the shuttle would be 15 minutes. It was almost 55 minutes of freezing after an international flight, waiting for the shuttle. The front desk also lied about how long it would take. Their restaurant is closed for lunch and room service and the restaurant close at 10pm, which is not the best for an airport hotel . At least have a light tapas type menu until midnight.

There were quite a few problems with my room, no bath tub, no heat until I called and they had to change out the unit,so I was freezing until it was fixed.

The manager and manager on duty did their best and I appreciated that. I would stay here again if they have a restaurant that is open late, which is important for an airport hotel and also if they have an on call shuttle. They should combine with the Hyatt place which is next door and they manage both hotels.

Room Tip: If you would like a bathtub, be sure to ask for a double room
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The only positive aspect of the hotel is that it has a club lounge and it's a SPG Category 2 meaning it only require 3000/4000 SPG Starpoints for a free night. Few Sheraton around major cities require such low point value. Nevertheless, with the poor experience I had, I'll stay at the nearby Aloft which is also a SPG Category 2 hotel the next time.

1) During check-in, I specifically asked about lounge access / breakfast as I'm a SPG Platinum member and was told that the lounge is closed during the holiday week (understandable). However, it would have been nice if the agent told me about the substitute vouchers for the hotel restaurant. I later saw the sign on the club floor and had to go down to request it.
2) The club lounge isn't really a lounge. It's that little space in the lobby of the club floor right by the elevator. Very awkward location for a club lounge.
3) The hotel just doesn't have the Sheraton feel, from the rooms to the hotel restaurant, and I've stayed 50+ nights in in 2013 in Sheraton brand alone. Shower head isn't the one found in Sheraton hotels and hotel restaurant is tiny and more comparable to a Four Point hotel restaurant. The hotel is overall really more at the Four Point level.
4) Breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant is the worst I have ever seen. It has a smaller selection than most of the club lounges I have visited. Comparable to Days Inn I have stayed in but this Sheraton charges $10+ whereas it's complimentary at Days Inn.
5) Restaurant staff wasn't particular nice. I handed over an appetizer voucher and was moving my hand back into my pocket to pull out my room key so that I can tell the bartender which room to charge the rest of the balance to. He however had to pre-empty yell at me that I can only use one voucher.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul L
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I booked this hotel for an overnight stay during business travels. This hotel is an airport hotel and you feel it. I had to pick a cab because you had to inform the hotel that you are arriving, although all the other choices around run several shuttles per hour without being noticed before.

In-hotel service is fair, but nothing to write home about. The hotel itself seemed to be deserted, some lonely figures hanging around at the bar, the swimming pool closes in the evening. Flexibility in terms of breakfast is non-existent, they know that the majority of their customers will leave after one night.

However, if you need a decent place to stay for a fair price, this might be an option.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank traveltheworld34
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I want to preface this review by disclosing that I have stayed at this property before and was very much impressed by their level of customer care. Regretfully I cannot speak the same of the level of service after this last stay. Like most costumers my main concern is with a clean hotel and room, however, when I have more than my share of hotel options what eventually sells me on the quality of the stay is the overall level of customer care by the employees. That is what makes a “raving fan”. As a SPG Platinum do not expect consistency with level of care nor amenities. The indifference and lack of training from the Sheraton staff during this stay was enough motivation to think twice about staying at an alternate property in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Niecer1079
Jim K, General Manager at Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Niecer1079,

Thank you for your review of the Sheraton Herndon Dulles Aiport. Please accept my apologies for the level of service that you recieved. I would like to make this right. Please feel free to contact me at 571-943-0905. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Arrived at Sheraton 0130am with no luggage after 13 hours waiting for onward flight at Dulles Apt. Staff friendly & very helpful, especially as no suitcase for two of those days. Friendly dining and bar and reasonable pricing. As I do one or two nights a year here, will definitely use the next time.

Room Tip: The fifth floor was totally quiet all three days and nights.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank jack c
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Even though there were a few bumps in the road initially, the staff and especially the manager, went out of their way to make things right. The staff were professional, friendly, and made my stay away from home very, very pleasant. The room was clean (which is a must for me although the bump was the bathroom not being stocked). The free shuttle to and from the airport was invaluable. Upon walking into the hotel, it's warm and cozy and everything conveniently located. You're greeted by friendly service and faces. I would stay here again whether on business or pleasure!

Room Tip: Having a disability, I try to get a handicap room. If not available online, ask at the front desk. I...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear ReRe3,

Thank you for the great review of the Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport. I am glad that you enjoyed the service, rooms and hotel amenities. I am sorry to see that we did not stock the bathroom appropriately. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
Hyatt Regency Dulles
Hyatt Regency Dulles
#5 of 20 in Herndon
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Hilton Washington Dulles Airport
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East

Been to Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!