“Very Comfortable Hotel in Good Location”

Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Hertford, North Carolina, United States
“Very Comfortable Hotel in Good Location”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We booked this hotel because of the excellent rate I found at Southwest.com. The hotel is relatively new and was in a good location for our business appointment. We were very pleased with the exterior appearance of the hotel and with the excellent front desk staff. Check-in was very quick and easy. Our guest room was spacious and nicely decorated with dark woods and muted, calming color scheme. The bathroom was very large, with a glassed, walk-in shower and marble 48" vanity. Both the guest room and bathroom were spotlessly clean. About the only thing that would have made the room better is a mini-fridge and microwave.

There was no breakfast included with the room rate, but there is a restaurant in the hotel that serves breakfast and dinner. We didn't check the dinner menu, but the breakfast buffet ($12.95) was extensive.

I would recommend this hotel if you need to be in the Reston/Herndon area, as it is convenient to both locations, as well as to Dulles Airport.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
on vacation
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I'm used to getting stuck in hotels overnight due to bad weather in other cities, but when my flight was cancelled last night, I was pretty scared. I didn't know the airport (Dulles) and I didn't know the area. It was late and I needed a room. I tried booking over my Blackberry but all I could tell from that was that a Sheraton existed near the airport and it had a shuttle. I called Starwood and was treated so kindly by the reservations clerk, who found me the lowest rate (AAA) and gave me the direct number to the hotel.

I finally found the area where the shuttles came and went, and was shocked at the number of people waiting b/c of cancelled flights. I was a bit disappointed when I heard that I'd missed a Westin nearby, as I usually prefer them, but I was VERY happy with the Sheraton.

First, the shuttle that came by was from a neighboring property and the driver actually got out to LOOK for me! I had called to ask where to wait and they knew I was coming. The kind man drove me to the Sheraton and helped me in (I only had carry-on luggage) and then I met yet another kind man- the one running the front desk. I told him a bit of my day and he was so sweet. Knowing I had NOTHING to wear but the clothes on my back, he found me a very soft and nicely thin robe to wear to bed. He told me to grab what I needed to drink from the club's fridge, and call if there was any trouble. And as most Sheraton's do, there was toothpaste, etc., for those of us who are stuck.

I was upgraded to the Club Floor, and I have to say, especially for an airport hotel, it is nice! I did have to move from my 1st room b/c someone had actually left the HEAT on! It may have been the 1st days of September but it was ridiculously hot out. People, please! Think of the next guests and don't leave heat on in the summer!

I took a shower and waited for the AC to kick in but it only got hotter. The gentleman at the front desk brought me up a new key for the room across the hall, and I breathed a sigh of relief just walking in. The room was set at 65 (though it was about 70 degrees) and SO much cooler than the 1st room. Also, this room was a bit bigger. It was longer, with a very comfy lounge chair in the corner. This is something EVERY hotel room should have. Watching tv in bed is not good for your back and we're finally getting some attention from hotel designers. This is the 2nd Sheraton (1st is Sheraton DTW) with a comfortable lounge or recliner type chair for people who don't want or can't, sit on the bed.

I also loved the fact that the lounge club is open, no key needed to get in, and there is a small fridge with soda in it. I needed a Sprite about then and it was nice to get a Coke with my breakfast. I had been considering ordering room service, but the Club Lounge had hot food at 630am. I had scrambled eggs, toast and they had hash browns (good ones!) and breakfast meats. Also, fresh fruit and cereals. I am getting on a tiny plane later and I'm lucky if it serves me a drink. There's no 1st class, just a small plane that may or may not take off today. So it was quite nice to get a full breakfast and soda (needed the caffeine) before leaving for the airport.

As a frequent traveler, there are ALWAYS things I see that could be improved. One is that the rooms up here had no tubs. I had 2 very nice showers, but I really needed a soak this am and there's no bath tub. The bathroom was stocked with all the usual Shine products and a hair dryer. If I'd had my round brush I could've used it, and I sure wished for a straightening iron, but all-in-all, I did VERY well for being a displaced traveler.

That's another thing I might add to airport hotels. Have some curling irons, razors, sleep shirts, etc. I'd bet they'd sell very well. Last night I would've bought a nightshirt or t-shirt- ANYTHING that resembled clean underwear, etc. Airport hotels should have specialty stores. And curling irons are appliances like blow dryers that many women use- have those for rent maybe? I'm stuck in hotels too often w/o luggage, and know that these airport hotels have tons of people like me daily. It might not hurt to cater to them a bit. Not just here, but all airport hotels. I was lucky in that this IS a Sheraton and they found me a robe, but it could've been a very uncomfortable night w/o it.

The bed was very fluffy and nice as all Sweet Sleepers seem to be, and the decor was nice. I liked how the AC vent came out of the desk. There is also a wardrobe instead of a closet, and a coffee maker. I could see getting comfy in this room if I had the time. There's a flat screen mounted on the wall and accessible outlets to charge the phone and laptop, etc. I liked that they have in-room movies b/c all too many hotels are losing this.

I'm very happy that there was a Starwood hotel, as being a Platinum Member, I am always looking for points! But moreover, I'm happy that everyone dealt with me so kindly and the price was right. It's worth being a AAA member just for the discounts Starwood offers its members. And the shuttle runs on a hourly and half-hourly basis so I'll be heading back soon. It's about 10 minutes they say; I felt it was more like 7-8 minutes last night, but I was the only passenger.

For an airport hotel, this is nice. For a Sheraton, this is nice. For any hotel, this is a nice place. I'll be leaving soon, HOPING to get home on the next flight, but I'm leaving soon and had to add this review. If you're ever in the Dulles area looking for a hotel, I found this one to be a step above most airport properties. It was quite nice!

Room Tip: If you are a SPG member, you'll like the Club Rooms. Club Lounge Breakfast was very nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I totally agree with Mariana H's review. On Aug. 25 we also experienced the excellent, professional service of Boris. Plus he speaks French! He fixed a glitch in our reservation and transferred us to a room with two beds for our family. The Sheraton Dulles was an excellent choice for my travel-weary family driving in from Hilton Head, SC on our way home to Pennsylvania. The front desk staff was very helpful in getting us to the excellent all-night diner Amphora nearby and sites in downtown DC the next morning. We will stay at the Sheraton Dulles again the next time we are in the DC area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Espoo, Southern Finland, Finland
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We were staying at the Sheraton mid August 2012 and EVERYTHING was OUTSTANDING.

Not only was the service great it was above and beyond. Everything was taken care of even before we asked.

I especially would like to put the spotlight on Boris Tanny! He is the most amazing young man! He was always there to serve us in our EVERY NEED! Whether that was a bottle of water and extra bed or whatever we needed.

He was kind, proffesional, sincere, respectful, honoring, just phenominal.

I am not saying this being someone in the same industry for about 11 years, working not only in fine hotels but also restaurants, resorts, catering, bars, clubs in short every part of this industry as well as other industries regarding service.

I as well as my guests were blown away by Boris and how he took care of us with a huge smile on his face.

My advice to Sheraton is keep this young man whatever it takes and he will definitely be someone that will lead this hotel to even more greatness than it already has!

Have a wonderful day!

Mariana Hilker

Room Tip: Talk to Boris Tanny he will make sure you are taken care of!
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I just stayed here one night and came in late in the evening and left early in the morning. Beds were comfy and the rooms were clean. Got a room for $79 which I thought was a decent price. I would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Sheraton was a new, very comfortable hotel close to Dulles airport in a newer area, located less than five minutes fromt the Highway. There is one restaurant on site, but other things were a 5-10 minute drive away. The rooms were very spacious and modern. I was not happy that there was no closet, just an airmoire that was not very convenient. It was tucked away between office buildings and large apartment complexes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tina A
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I stayed two nights at this hotel during a recent business trip. The property is located very near Dulles airport in a residential / office complex neighborhood. Very convenient.

The rooms were ok but there is a noticeable lack of power outlets right where you need them - on the desk.

The best part of the stay was the staff. Their service was exceptional.

Overall, I would stay here again if I had business in the Northern Virginia area.