“Close to Dulles, and easy to avoid the traffic. Great staff, small beds.”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport Herndon/Reston
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Close to Dulles, and easy to avoid the traffic. Great staff, small beds.”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I've stayed twice at this property on business trips when I've had an early morning flight. Above average for Holiday Inn Express, the hotel is clean, and the staff are terrific, helping me find a place for a pizza on a Sunday night at 10pm.

The rooms are smaller than average, at least the basic/standard room I booked, but everything fit well and it was cozy. The beds were reasonably comfortable, but were double beds and not Queen sized - a consideration if you're traveling with a family, for me they were fine.

The best part was getting to the airport. It's a short trek up to US 50 from the hotel, and other than having to wait at a number of traffic lights, there was little traffic on a Monday morning.

For those travelers without their own private transportation, the hotel has a free shuttle. The shuttle will also take you to the Udvar-Hazy (Smithsonian) Air and Space museum that's located in the Dulles Annex.

I'll certainly stay at this property again the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Arabic first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I arrive at 1am it was a very long day traveling. When I opened the door to my room I was greeted by a vase with flowers and a note thanking me for staying. Funny because I first I thought the flower might have been from my husband. The staff was friendly the hotel was clean. If my travels ever take me back I will be checking in here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My wife and I were at this hotel for 2 nights. The staff was all you could ask for, friendly and very helpful. The hotel shuttle took us to Dulles airport where we caught an airport shuttle to the space center and back. The hotel shuttle then picked us up at the airport and took us back to the hotel. Our room was spacious and clean and the beds were comfortable. There was a coffee maker with coffee, microwave and mini-fridge which was larger than the normal mini-fridge. Unfortunately it did not have a freezer, something that we really enjoy having. If it had a freezer, I would have given it a 5. If you don't care about a freezer, consider this review a 5. Breakfast was very good and there was plenty of it. Should we be in this area again, we will definitely stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
B.C
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We spent 3 nights at this hotel with a tour group visiting Washington, D.C. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Fridge, microwave and coffee maker in the room was convenient. Plus Free wifi and cable tv.

Next door is a Safeway grocery store and across the street many ethnic restaurants. We had sushi one night that was very good (Thai and sushi mixed restaurant ) and Chinese buffet another... That filled us up. The last night we had a large salad and soup at the Panera bread which was all excellent, large portions and fresh. I would recommend the hotel for its facilities and the ones nearby. A pool would be great.... But you can't have everything.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
cheshire
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Ok, so most HIEs are much the same but this one stands out because the staff are exceptional. Nothing is too much trouble, from checking in to the shuttle back to the airport which took us directly to the car rental place.
The only downside was that when we arrived, tired and hot from a long flight from the UK the hotel shuttle seemed to take ages to come, so we took a taxi. It would have been good to know approximately when a shuttle might be due, it was chaos at the hotel shuttle area at Dulles.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Surrey, England
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My elderly mum and I stayed here 2 nights 10-11 September. We walked in and were greeted warmly by the staff and fresh baked chocolate chip cookies were at the table. We were handed a paper bag with 2 water bottles and a choice of snacks to take up to our room. The room was comfortable, nice sheets and towels and a decent list of TV channels to choose from and a complimentary newspaper was offered. There was a chocolate on our pillow and a notice of the next day's weather. All the staff from the cleaning staff to the maintenance men greeted us cordially and with a smile when we passed them in the hallway. Breakfast was adequate too. I think the management here tries very hard to make this a nice experience and it was. Thanks to everybody at the hotel. It is well managed and friendly! For a nice snack, try "Hot Bread" in the shopping centre across from the hotel; we had a vegetarian puff pastry that was tasty.

Room Tip: 4th floor was fine.
Green Features: I really liked that the hotel chain recycles leftover soap for 3rd world countries.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pate-in-Surrey
HolidayInnDulles, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport Herndon/Reston, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Pate-in-Surrey,

I think the part of your review I like most of all is the way you note how friendly the staff is, and that each member you encountered made you feel welcomed. That's exactly what we are aiming for, and I think that's what sets us apart from many hotels in the area. Those freshly baked chocolate cookies are always appreciated, but there's nothing to make someone feel like they're at their "home away from home" like a staff that works hard to make you comfortable. Thank you so much for sharing your comments.

Patrick Foley
Panama
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, the front desk clerks and the driver were amazing, the hotel has a nice location and not to far from Dulles. The rooms were clean and breakfast was splendid. I will def will be coming back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AGMB
Travelers also viewed these Herndon hotels
Hampton Inn & Suites Herndon-Reston
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel
Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport
Residence Inn Herndon Reston
SpringHill Suites Herndon Reston

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport Herndon/Reston? Share your experiences!