“Service great, but Hotel nothing special”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport Herndon/Reston
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Service great, but Hotel nothing special”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This was a fine stay...nothing great (except the service) and nothing terrrible. This hotel is a little outdated and could use a facelift. My room wasn't dirty by any means, but could use a little work. For the price it was a fine stay. The location was great for my needs and they have a shuttle service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Cmcraven

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Arabic first
New Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I have followed Tripadvisor's ratings and reviews all over the country. This is the first time I strongly question the reviews. I have been put here with a group of five coworkers and we are all in agreement. One coworker moved her room due to bugs. So on the Seven Dwarfs theme...

Sheets = sandpaper. There is another review and response saying that they get them from corporate. I suggest then investing in fabric softener or better detergent. I have been itching for the past 24 hours. I am sleeping in August in a long sleeve shirt and legging... in DC = Scratchy

Noise: Hotels equal noise I travel alot. I get this. I was finally drifing off to sleep when some in another room opened the ironing board at 2AM. You should be able to do this without waking up guests. At 5:30 AM, someone started a Tractor Trailer and reved the engine. Again, this guest has to leave. Just know if you are in for meetings at a company in Town Center, this is the type of guest... or it was a truck servicing the Safeway next door that will keep you up until midnight. Another coworker asked to move a room because they were in the front over door and could hear every conversation at reception . Avoid rooms 221 and 223 as a result. : Noisy

Beds: I have a blog focusing on the seven dwarfs of bad motels... Above I have referenced Scratchy and Noise... let me introduce Lumpy and Saggy.

Vending Machines: Get whatever you need prior to coming here especially from the airport. Their is one .. it was empty last night when I wanted a bottle of non sugar substance to take medication. The front desk was kind to find me one bottle behind the desk. Thirsty

Room: Carpet ancient. Didn't want to take off my shoes and I have two dogs and a cat at home. Plugs. I have only found two that work in my room with available sockets. Yes, I turned on the lights first to see if they worked. This dwarf: Edison (think Doc)

Odor: The smell hit me when I walked in. There are signs everywhere this is a non smoking place. Well, the odor reminded me of sweat, locker room and the town pool. Problem is they don't have a pool. Add Smelly.

There you have it the 7 dwarfs off why to stay elsewhere.Scratchy, Noisy, Lumpy, Saggy, Smelly, Thristy, and Edison.

The personnel is friendly and wants to help . The shuttle is responsive and again the drivers are lovely. One night and you are a sound sleeper. Have at it. If you are trying to replace more expensive options in the area., Don't!!! Whatever the travel person at your company is telling you and that they have toured the location.

I worked through college at the Susse Chalet Hotels 800 reservation number taking reservations and complaints. Your facility is built on the same model of hotel. I think your failure, beyond needing a renovation, is you have gone after a market that is not accustom to staying at this type of hotel. You love your status on Tripadvisor. Own your market ... you have a following that obviously loves you. We did too but we never tried to replace a Hyatt Regency. The staff here is terrific. You don't deserve to have angry guests that aren't happy because of expectations gone astray

Room Tip: Avoid Odd numbered rooms ... Rooms in the 15-23 range are over the front door or around the elevato...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank phbranny
HIExpressHerndon, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport Herndon/Reston, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
I’m so sorry to hear you were unhappy with your experience at our hotel.

When your company decided to house you with us instead of the Hyatt Regency we knew we had big shoes to fill. As you and many others noted in your review, we really do have a great staff that does everything possible to make sure you are happy. We do our best to accommodate all of our guests but I hope you can understand that it would be impossible to account for every preference our guests had.

We don’t pretend to compete with a full-service Hyatt Regency, with three times the staff and twice the rate, but we do know we are the best select-service hotel in the area. We’re proud of our record, and keep working hard to provide the best value and service to our guests.

Patrick Foley
General Manager Holiday Inn Express Reston/Herndon
Philadephia
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My family and I visited the Washington, DC area over the 4th of July. We felt welcomed and accommodated at the HIE. Above all we were so impressed by the friendly staff. Gustavo and Jason, who appeared to be maintenance staff, both made a point to say hello, smile and interact with our family and children. We have a very active toddler and the staff were always kind and accommodating. Miriam, the breakfast attendant had a friendly smile and greeting both mornings. Our rooms were quite clean and quiet. Overall we just found this a very comfortable stay. Oh, and the breakfast was delicious!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Denise B
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Holiday Inn Express is our favorite chain. We stayed here one night and chose the location because of it's proximity to the airport. Staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcome would definitely stay here again when we are in the area.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kimgnix
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have stayed in other HIE properties and was encouraged by the great reviews on TA. However, the sheets on our bed were a jersey-like material, pilled and ill-fitting-- definitely not the crisp clean presentation I would have expected. Perhaps housekeeping used an old set in our room? I really am perplexed at the disparity between the reviews online and the experience that we had.

The bed was overly soft and I woke up with an aching lower back and the bathroom was incredibly small. The fitness room is also tiny but they do offer a couple of good cardio machines. The trash bin in the fitness room was overflowing and the public toilet on the ground floor was neglected. Perhaps key management was on vacation while we were there? Again, I have enjoyed several good sleeps in other HI Expresses but this one completely missed the mark.

On a positive note, the property is easy to find and conveniently located next to a supermarket. We were warmly welcomed upon arrival and were given an excellent suggestion for a casual dinner. However, there was no one manning the desk when we departed and the breakfast attendant just watched from a distance as we looked around for some sort of send-off. We left our key on the counter and departed for the airport feeling downright dissatisfied. I hope this property can review the state of the linens and the cleanliness of the public areas so that future guests can enjoy their stay more than we did.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
WashDCHotels, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport Herndon/Reston, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear WhaddoWino,

I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience. While this isn’t the type of feedback we hope to hear from our guests it none the less helps us improve so that we can provide an excellent experience for all of our guests.

I’m so sorry to hear you were disappointed in your stay. As you pointed out, our reviews are usually very good, so it is embarrassing when we fail to provide the experience you have come to expect from Holiday Inn Express. The hotel purchases linens and mattresses only from vendors approved by Holiday Inn, so we are looking into our laundry processes to address any possible problems.

Clearly there were staffing issues with housekeeping’s’ ability to keep our public areas clean while you were here. I have met with our housekeeping manager to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Our staff is proud of the level of service we provide our guests, though we obviously did not meet our usual standards during your visit.

I hope you will allow us to change your mind on a future visit.

Patrick Foley
General Manager - Holiday Inn Express Reston/Herndon
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We have used the park and fly 2-3 times a year for the past several years for foreign trips. The shuttle service provides a smooth beginning and end to a trip. We look forward to the clean, comfortable room and a complete breakfast. What a great welcome home! We can always count on the staff being friendly and very accommodating. Our stay is one part of our travels that we know will be top notch.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RoseAnn T
Walkersville, Maryland, United States
Reviewed June 21, 2012

we stayed here one night and parked our car here for stay park and fly . excellent hotel good trip over and back from airport . will be staying here again october 2013 for our return trip to california thank you for your great service!!!.

Room Tip: great room great service
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family