“Very nice apartment style living”

Residence Inn Herndon Reston
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This hotel is styled into separate buildings sort of like condos. It is somewhat spread out from the office, with sidewalks connecting all the buildings. Very family and pet friendly, with a nice vibe. The rooms have a full kitchen, and would be very comfortable for a multiweek stay. The staff is friendly. Everything was clean and in good repair. The rooms are like an efficiency apartment with plenty of space. I would definitely come here again.

Room Tip: I would get a second story room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This property consists of multiple buildings. The one I stayed in was 2-story, so U have to walk upstairs rather than an elevator which could be a drawback if U have lots of luggage. The rooms and bathroom are upgraded with modern finishes. The common area carpets and paint could use some modernization. Very comfortable mattress, TV on a swivel. Set-up like a living room or mini apartment home i.e. sofa, chair, full size stove and kitchen. I booked through a 3rd party provided, but was charged twice. When I notified the hotel they did credit the charge back. All in all I would recommend it over some higher rated properties, especially for the price.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank HQOFCMGR
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Full time business traveler: The Residence Inn in Herndon is an apartment style hotel. Individual buildings each with 2 floors, 4 units per floor, access to each unit through a small hallway, and each unit has a sliding glass door for outside air (if you are on the first floor you can walk directly to the outside....a big plus). From the outside the grounds are kept nice and the buildings are kept well. The hallway is ok though a bit dated feel to it. Inside the room it is roomy and, again, it is like a like a small apartment (Bathroom, kitchen, living room). The furnishings are in fairly good shape though a bit dated and some of the fixtures and trim were most definitely wearing. I had an issue with a 'running' toilet that sometime required the time honored 'jiggling' of the handle to get it to stop, however, that can happen at any hotel (I did not call the front desk about it, I didn;t see it as a big deal). Where I had my biggest concern is housekeeping. There just is no way to be nice about it, it was subpar. Maybe that was just my unfortunate luck and otherwise, and for other guests, it was/has been good. For me it was not and it kept it from getting an additional rating point.
I like the layout of the hotel. The apartment feel and openness to it was great for my 4 days and I can see that being a REAL plus for someone needing long term accommodations. However, for me housekeeping is a deal breaker.

Room Tip: Opt for a first floor if you want direct access to the outside through your sliding glass door
Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 10, 2013

A townhome style Residence Inn with 8 apartments per 2 story building. Rooms seemed more updated than the buildings suggest. Lots of space, with full kitchen. Room is one large space, not with a separate room for couch and tv.
Staff does a very good job. Room was clean with no problems at all.

Green ranking: mixed. They had recycle cans, which is not common. They still replaced the towel when I hung it and then put the hang tag that explained their towel re-use policy right on the towel. Old habits are hard to break I guess.

It was quiet while I was there. They apparently allow dogs, but I heard and saw none.

Free breakfast was standard fare for Marriotts, which is just fine. Hot food, juices, cereals, etc.
They hold a free dinner on week days. Not as good as other Residence Inns in the DC area, and no beer/wine included nor available that I saw.

When staying in the area, I would stay here again. I'd rank it as average against other Residence Inns, but ranking it very good against all hotels everywhere I've stayed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stay at this hotel anytime I am in the Reston/Herndon area and will be there for more than 2 days. There is some age to the rooms but the large rooms are very well kept and the newly renovated common areas are very nice. Service is excellent!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I've been to this hotel on many occasions. Location is great. It's close enough (20-30 min depending on traffic) if you're visiting DC, but also close enough to walk to many restaurants and a grocery store. The Reston Town Center is a mile up the road, and has several upscale restaurants and shopping, as well as a great movie theater. There's also a paved trail right outside the hotel if you bring your bike, or are a runner. The hotel is in tip top shape...clean everywhere, and the staff is second to none. Not to mention, great value. In the northern Virginia area, you cannot beat the value of this place, the cleanliness and the service. Don't bother going anywhere else.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Residence Inn Herndon. Check-in was quick and efficient; the clerk was very nice and gave me a choice of rooms/buidings. The room was very clean and well organized. I appreciated the HD TV and the number of channels as many hotels only have a limited selection of channels and are non-HD. Also, I left behind some jewelry and frantically called in the hopes that housekeeping would have turned it in and they did, thankfully. My one complaint would be that the room smelled of cigarette smoke - it wasn't strong but definitely distinctive. I didn't tell the front desk but I'm sure they would have taken care of it had I alerted them. Had it been stronger I would have said something. I travel to the area quite frequently and this is now my top hotel choice.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Hyatt House Herndon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport Herndon/Reston
Staybridge Suites Dulles
Staybridge Suites Dulles
#10 of 20 in Herndon

Been to Residence Inn Herndon Reston? Share your experiences!