“Not what I expect from a Marriott Property”

SpringHill Suites Herndon Reston
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I have stayed at every level of Marriott in cities around the world and as a Lifetime Platinum member I have a few - not unreasonable - expectations. When visiting the area on business (about once every six weeks) I usually stay at the Courtyard down the street. Tried this just to check it out. I should have stayed away. No wastebasket in the bathroom, no hair dryer, called the front desk multiple times with no answer, no shampoo, and no bill in the morning. I tracked down the front desk person and listed my issues. He had an answer for everything and was clear that it certainly wasn't his fault. He offered me some points and I replied that I would rather have a properly prepared room and a capable staff. No reply. No enthusiasm. Obviously not concerned.

Room Tip: Don't bother. But if you must, try to get a room away from the lobby.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank George C
Sabrina B, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Herndon Reston, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. You indicated in your response that your stay was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. You are a valued customer and we certainly want you to have an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed here around 13 years ago and loved it. Going to the soccer games at Fedex Field in June, I and nine others wanted to spend the night before heading back to Richmond. I was wondering if it would still be as nice as I remembered.
I was pleasantly surprised to find the hotel as wonderful as before. Everything appears to be new. The room was perfect, new tiled bath, fresh white and turquoise linens with lime green and peach accent pillows. Great new carpeting. The lobby was the same, new and bright and clean. The rooms are huge, and the kitchen/desk area is open and spacious. My husband and three children fit in the room easily. The beds were very comfortable, and the sleeper couch is located at quite a distance from the two doubles if someone wants more privacy.

At check in,the desk clerk was very kind and polite, helping us locate great places to eat. There are many fine restaurants within a few minutes drive, and many stores. We tried O'Sullivans Irish pub and loved it. Near by was the Ice House Cafe which was closing but it looked elegant.

The cost is very reasonable, surprisingly reasonable. I love hotels, and my friend and her family are quite particular about where they stay. No complaints. Am I a fan of this hotel? YES!

I strongly recommend this hotel and cannot imagine anyone not liking it. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We have visited this hotel several times over the years. But this facility is getting stale. The staff is very friendly, the rates are reasonable, but the carpets are worn and dirty around the edges, the ice machine on 3rd is very noisy, and the oily elevator door cleaner smells. This place needs an update to keep pace with the many newer hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Presently, the 3rd floor is nosy. This hotel is well located away from high traffic roads, so most r...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sabrina B, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Herndon Reston, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear Aubreyrich,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience was unsatisfactory. We are continuing to make upgrades to our property and there are many to follow before this year is over. We know that you will be pleased with many of the upcoming changes and we certainly hope to serve you again in the future. Thank you for staying with us and again, for the feedback.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

I stay in at least 2 different hotel every week and I keep coming back here. The staff is so welcoming and helpful. Rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The hotel has a shuttle that will take you to the town center, airport or anywhere near by and they are so accommodating. Only drawback I have found is that the towels aren't very fluffy - trivial I know. I also really enjoy the breakfast, one of the few hotels i have found that always have Greek yogurt. They also have apples and Chupa Chup lollipops out all day, and cookies out every evening. Its my home away from home. Jeff the manager is great, as are Alex & Ridvan.

Room Tip: I always stay on the top floor so as not to hear people above me
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We are visiting with family. Hotel in very modern. Rooms are very large. With fridge and microwave. Kids loved the pool which has an attendant and is open till 10. Breakfast is wonderful but crowded. Lots of parking. Innumerable restaurants of every type nearby. Beds are comfy. Bath is tight with cheap shower head. We are very pleased.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 19, 2014

This hotel is close to the D.C. area and to the highways, but close enough into suburban Herndon/Reston that you don't *have* to venture into the capital if you're not up for it.
We stayed on a very crowded weekend, which made the Saturday morning breakfast buffet kind of like a cattle call. The breakfast area has kind of a weird configuration and could probably use more seating, and maybe a few more people to help with replenishing food, coffee etc.
Everything was clean, and staff were friendly. For the proximity to D.C. you can't beat the price. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: I'd request a room on the top floor if possible; ceiling noise is a problem if you have noisy pe...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went to DC for Cherry Blossom Festival weekend with friends and stayed here. We reserved 2 rooms, both king studio suites, via booking.com. They were sold out that day.

Check in was simple, just gave our full names and the gentleman at the front desk located our reservation. He excuses himself to take a call which was regarding the hotel shuttle, which sounded very efficient and a nice service (we did not use).

The room was beautiful! Nice open floorplan. We loved the soft soothing classical music playing in the background as we entered the room. The color scheme was also very relaxing, pale blues and greens. We were in room 401. The living area had a long 4 seater couch that pulls out to be a queen sized bed (linens located above the open 'closet area' that you can hang clothes). There was a kitchenette area with a sink, microwave, small fridge, and coffee amenities. Very nice and neat. There was a desk with lamp and plenty of outlets for our devices.

The king sized bed was very comfortable and we slept very well. Our friend said that the pullout sofabed was better than expected and she wouldn't mind sleeping on it again.

We had one problem with our door the first time we went out; the deadbolt seemed to lock whenever we turned the handle so we couldn't pull the door shut. It finally closed after the 8th try so we didn't report it. It gave is no other problems the rest of our stay.

The free breakfast the next morning was very crowded and busy with many families. The spread was comprehensive: scrambled and hard-boiled eggs, sausage Patties, make-your-own waffles, apples, bananas, cereals, milk, oatmeal and fixings and coffee/tea/juice. The scrambled eggs and sausage was replenished quickly buy once the fruit and hard boiled eggs were gone, they were gone. We still got in a substantial breakfast after we located a spot to sit.

It took us a but less than half hour to/from DC, but be prepared for the many tolls that are on the route. It does add up! For that reason, I would consider looking to book somewhere else next trip, but for the price and quality of the accommodations, I would recommend this hotel!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank everfair
Sabrina B, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Herndon Reston, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Everfair,

Thank you for the feedback! We are happy to hear that your stay was delightful. We are having a metro built in the area, one mile from our property, that will take you into DC. We would certainly invite you to come back in the future and give us another try. Thanks again for the review!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Hampton Inn & Suites Herndon-Reston
Courtyard Herndon Reston
#16 of 20 in Herndon
Residence Inn Herndon Reston
Hyatt Regency Reston

Been to SpringHill Suites Herndon Reston? Share your experiences!