By the Side of the Road Inn & Cottages
$116
Hampton.com
$82
Country Inn
The Village Inn(Harrisonburg)(Great Value!)
$81
$78
Orbitz.com
All reviewsthe main housepicnic basketquill cottagebed and breakfasteach morningwater lilymountain laurelromantic getawaymanor housebreakfast deliveredsoufflebath saltssoft music playingboth morningsgas fireplacelittle toucheswonderful weekend
Reviewed April 4, 2010

The Fitzgerald Cottage was so beautiful and comfortable. We signed up for the "Local Package" and were not disappointed. We were greeted by romantic music in background and a welcome sign w/chocolates when we enetered cottage. The bathroom is truly the main reason for staying here. The fireplace in front of tub was just wonderful. Very romantic and made you feel like there was no one else for miles. The wine tastings, local dinners, farmers markets and dairy bar really help you to understand how much community means in Harrisonburg,VA. My husband and I do not get a lot of "quality time" together- so this was a real treat. We look forward to being able to return again in the future. We highly recommend By The Side Of The Road.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2010

We stayed one night at By the Side of the Road Inn while travelling through Virginia and had a lovely evening. The house is quite obviously old, so don't stay here unless you appreciate historic houses. Our room was on the first floor, right off the foyer, and our bathroom was quite spacious, with a separate tub and shower. We had a tv in our room and wireless Internet access. Breakfast the next morning consisted of sausage, an fennel and egg souffle, rolls, juice and coffee. Pound cake was available in the foyer when we checked in. Our hosts were friendly and gracious.
There was a feather bed topper on our bed which made the bed soft and fluffy. Of the 3 b&b's we stayed in on our trip, this inn was the most expensive ($200 with taxes, etc.).

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
by the side of the road, owner at By the Side of the Road Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2010

Always grateful when our guests take the time to review our inn, we need only to clarify the above reference to our house being "old". Indeed, it was built in 1789 with an addition built in 1840. Even so, it is fully renovated with all 21st century creature comforts. Interior brick walls assure quiet and privacy, even in the room located adjacent to the foyer. Original fireplaces have been converted to gas logs and WIFI is provided via the use of three routers - to circumvent the masonry wall challenge. We also wanted to address the "Value" rating by these guests. It should be noted that all of our Main House suites have been adjusted to a slightly lower tariff in our effort to provide our guests with the very best value. Thanks for a thoughtful and most appreciated review.

Reviewed March 16, 2010

My stay was very peaceful. I received a warm and friendly welcome before and upon my arrival at By the Side of the Road Bed & Breakfast. My four rooms were beautiful and clean. The selection of reading materials in the rooms was of the perfect genre. I felt at home without the clean up. I highly recommend a few days stay at By the Side of the Road Bed & Breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2010

A truly fantastic B&B! Exceptional people delivering extremely professional and friendly service and five star dining. We elected to stay in the Fitzgerald House which was like stepping back into the 19th century with the conviences of today. We'll certainly be back to visit the Fitzgeralds in the future and would strongly recommend it to anyone that wants to stay somewhere that feels like home.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I don't think there are enough words to describe the By The Side of the Road B&B! The BtSotR B&B is a wonderful, quaint, clean, romantic, and private place (ok, so there are words, but there aren't enough!) for staying for a weekend away from the city. I chose this location as the place to stay for the weekend that I proposed to my now-fiance! I'm so glad I chose this B&B because of the hospitality that we received as well as the good food and privacy. The Quill Cottage put us into a great mood and it will be in our memories for years to come. Thank you, Dennis and Janice, for your great work!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple