We made our reservations six months in advance because it was a special weekend at our daughter's college and all hotels book up quickly. Six months later, I could not find my confirmation notice, so I could not remember the arrangements for getting the key to our cottage if we were arriving late (which we were). I sent an email to the Inn asking them to remind me of the procedure as I might be arriving as late as 10:00 p.m., but did not receive an email reply. Around 10:00 p.m., when we were about 15 minutes away, I tried to call the inn to let them know we would be arriving - left a message. When we arrived, the sign on the door of the main house said "Open", lights were on, and there was a note with the innkeeper's cell number. We called that number. When the innkeeper came to the door, he was incredibly rude and annoyed. We apologized profusely, explained we had sent an email, that we had made reservations six months ago, could not remember which cottage we were in, etc., etc.. He was annoyed to the point of being angry. He said "I have no idea" which cottage we were in, stomped upstairs presumably to the office, got the information, and basically threw it at us. At first we were embarassed, felt terrible, etc. But then we became really upset and angry. What should have been a lovely weekend started off with a very negative experience that really soured much of our stay. The innkeeper even put an "I-told-you-so" memo in with our breakfast basket with a copy of the confirm email they had sent us six months prior!! I'm sorry, but if you go into the B&B business, you must accept that people sometimes arrive later than you'd like. Also, it would be good business practice to send another copy of the confirm to people who made reservations way in advance (particulary if you have specific instructions such as "Don't bother us because the door is already unlocked." We paid a significant premium on top of an already expensive price for this room because it was a special weekend. I am so angry that we were treated like children who had misbehaved - or worse - like criminals, by a surly innkeeper. Do NOT stay at this inn unless you enjoy being treated very rudely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to our Inn, located in Harrisonburg in Virginia's central Shenandoah Valley. Whether staying one night or more, our one-of-a-kind Shenandoah Valley lodging is legendary. Guests return time and again to experience the comfort and intimacy of our four Main House Suites and five Luxurious Cottages. We hope to meet you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotels.com and getaroom.com so you can book your By the Side of the Road Inn & Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- By The Side Of The Road Inn & Cottages Hotel Harrisonburg
- By The Side Of The Road Inn And Cottages