“Innkeeper was extremely rude”

By the Side of the Road Inn & Cottages
Ranked #2 of 4 Harrisonburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Innkeeper was extremely rude”
Reviewed October 6, 2008

We made our reservations six months in advance because it was a special weekend at our daughter's college and all hotels book up quickly. Six months later, I could not find my confirmation notice, so I could not remember the arrangements for getting the key to our cottage if we were arriving late (which we were). I sent an email to the Inn asking them to remind me of the procedure as I might be arriving as late as 10:00 p.m., but did not receive an email reply. Around 10:00 p.m., when we were about 15 minutes away, I tried to call the inn to let them know we would be arriving - left a message. When we arrived, the sign on the door of the main house said "Open", lights were on, and there was a note with the innkeeper's cell number. We called that number. When the innkeeper came to the door, he was incredibly rude and annoyed. We apologized profusely, explained we had sent an email, that we had made reservations six months ago, could not remember which cottage we were in, etc., etc.. He was annoyed to the point of being angry. He said "I have no idea" which cottage we were in, stomped upstairs presumably to the office, got the information, and basically threw it at us. At first we were embarassed, felt terrible, etc. But then we became really upset and angry. What should have been a lovely weekend started off with a very negative experience that really soured much of our stay. The innkeeper even put an "I-told-you-so" memo in with our breakfast basket with a copy of the confirm email they had sent us six months prior!! I'm sorry, but if you go into the B&B business, you must accept that people sometimes arrive later than you'd like. Also, it would be good business practice to send another copy of the confirm to people who made reservations way in advance (particulary if you have specific instructions such as "Don't bother us because the door is already unlocked." We paid a significant premium on top of an already expensive price for this room because it was a special weekend. I am so angry that we were treated like children who had misbehaved - or worse - like criminals, by a surly innkeeper. Do NOT stay at this inn unless you enjoy being treated very rudely.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The incredibly rude innkeeper!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank Traveller102008
by the side of the road, Owners at By the Side of the Road Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, November 6, 2008
While hospitality is our business we are unable to take responsibility for actions of guests who claim no responsibility for their own actions. This party booked six months prior to arrival and the confirmation provided at that time gave detailed instructions as to "Self Check-In" (no specified arrival time required & direct access to the Cottage reserved). While the Main House is open from 9:00am to 9:00pm, these guests had reserved a "Self Check In Cottage" and made no further inquiry as to access to our property until the doorbell/cell phone call after 11:00pm on the date of arrival. It is accurate to say the innkeeper was irritable. These folks didn't even know what accommodation they had reserved. They chose to go to dinner before coming to the inn. A ticket from Outback Restaurant left behind in the suite revealed they paid the bill at 10:18pm, meaning they arrived here (with no clue where to go) after 11:00pm. If you've taken the time to read through the guest's complaint and our response and choose to go elsewhere, we regret losing the opportunity to serve you. We accepted this reservation with a substantial surcharge because it was for James Madison University's Family Weekend - the busiest of the season. Once confirmed, with all the appropriate informatiion provided, we have no way of knowing that a potential guest needs any further information unless they ask. We are only human.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed August 19, 2008

It really is by the side of the road in a suburban neighborhood surrounded by residential housing. There was some traffic noise during the day of course but amazingly very little in the evening. The Bergey Cottage was attractive and clean, well-equipped with a great bathroom tub and gas fireplace. Comfortable bed - a couple more pillows would be nice. The Inn provides a small refillable jug of filtered water from the Main House. Their concern with individual plastic bottles of water is environmental and rightly so. But the jug of water is too little. Small glass bottles of Perrier or other glass bottled water would be nice to find in the refrigerator. We had an issue with the price of the cottage and it was resolved to our satisfaction by the innkeeper.

• Liked — bathroom
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville VA
Reviewed August 10, 2008

My fiance and I wanted a nice place to stay for our small wedding in Harrisonburg. With several B&Bs to choose from, I have no doubt we made the best choice. The Eselyn Taylor Suite was beautiful and homey and we loved being in the guest house - especially for breakfast. The owners and their family were accomodating and friendly. I could not have been happier with our experience!!

• Liked — The comforts of home without actually being home!
  • Disliked — It's proximity to the main road (hence, it's name - I'm sure road has expanded recently)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville, NC
Reviewed June 28, 2008

My husband and I had an amazing time here. He had just got back from a recent deployment and this was our time away from the kids. It is a very peaceful atomosphere. We stayed in one of the cottages that was very private and romantic. We also got to experience the picnic lunch the day after we arrived. We opted to take it up to the Shanandoah Valley State Park and have a picnic lunch on the mountain. Each morning, breakfast was brought to our front door in a nice basket. It was quite delicious!! I would definetly recommend this place to anyone who needs time away. The cottage was very clean and decorated beautifully...and the tub is awesome!!!

• Liked — The privacy of the cottage
  • Disliked — Loved everythilng!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed April 12, 2008

Visiting a local college in the area I thought staying in a B&B would be a nice experience for me and my teen daughter. By the Side of the Road is everything it says it is, charming, romantic, and very much by the side of the road. There is some road noise, but a sound machine is provided and it certainly helps. The beds are comfortable, and our room was nicely appointed and clean. The breakfast was also very good. Arrive by 9pm or you will be treated rudely. Our arrival was delayed by a multi-car accident and traffic. At no point was I told we had to arrive by 9pm, it is indicated in the website policies, but not on the e-mail confirmation. When I called to advise of our delay the owner was very rude on the phone. I apologized profusely, explained the situation and offered to pay for any inconvenience. When we arrived the owner was pleasant enough, but he was clearly annoyed, and it made us very uncomfortable. My daughter was so rattled she insisted we go down to breakfast 15 minutes early so "he" wouldn't get mad at us again. We tried to make amends, didn't use a towel, or ask for anything, my daughter even made her bed. I understand we were late, but we called, apologized, explained, arrived exhausted, and practically in tears fearing we would have no place stay, we didn't need to be made to feel worse.

• Liked — The garden and the sunrise view from our room
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank COH3
Media PA
Reviewed April 4, 2008

We spent two nights at this beautiful property in the Shenandoah Valley...and can't wait to visit again. The innkeepers are lovely people - I loved the interior color of our cottage, and they obliged me by finding the paint can so I could get the name of it. When I called to make the reservation, the owner learned that we are trying to watch our weight and eat better - so breakfast included yogurt and fresh fruit. We took advantage of their discounted mid-week rate on a luxury cottage ($159/night with a continental breakfast). We arrived at about midnight on a chilly night after a long ride - to find our cottage ready and waiting - heat on, soft lighting, soft music, tomorrow's breakfast in the fridge, and a personal welcome note from the owners. The cottage is stocked with small appliances (fridge, microwave), soft drinks, snacks, tea, coffee and hot chocolate. There is a nice supply of higher-end toiletries in the bathroom. After a wonderful night's sleep in the comfy bed, we awoke and had breakfast on our porch as we enjoyed the view of Massanutten Mountain, then stopped in to the main house to chat with our hosts. Our porch became a favorite spot to relax with morning or evening drinks...and enjoy some quality time with the inn's cat. The pictures on the inn's website don't lie - the cottage room and bath are truly that large and inviting. The double-sided fireplace - with the bedroom on one side and the large whirlpool tub (big enough for two) on the other - made the cottage exceptional and exceptionally romantic. I have raved about it to all my friends - and wish I lived closer to the Valley so I could stay there frequently. It's a wonderful place to relax and rejuvenate in peaceful surroundings. Great as a special occasion getaway!

• Liked — Double-sided fireplace
  • Disliked — Live to far away from it to stay there as often as I would like
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Ashburn, VA
Reviewed March 16, 2008

We just spent a weekend at this B&B. First time in a B& B and the experience was wonderful. The place is what we wanted: quiet, private, excellent service, and beautifully decorated. The Fitzgerald's were very friendly and helpful, providing suggestions and directions for dinner and other activities in the area. Breakfast was great too!! We highly recommend By the Side of the Road and we'll definitely go back.

H & W