“By the Side of the Road was perfect!”

By the Side of the Road Inn & Cottages
Ranked #1 of 4 Harrisonburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 10, 2008

My fiance and I wanted a nice place to stay for our small wedding in Harrisonburg. With several B&Bs to choose from, I have no doubt we made the best choice. The Eselyn Taylor Suite was beautiful and homey and we loved being in the guest house - especially for breakfast. The owners and their family were accomodating and friendly. I could not have been happier with our experience!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 28, 2008

My husband and I had an amazing time here. He had just got back from a recent deployment and this was our time away from the kids. It is a very peaceful atomosphere. We stayed in one of the cottages that was very private and romantic. We also got to experience the picnic lunch the day after we arrived. We opted to take it up to the Shanandoah Valley State Park and have a picnic lunch on the mountain. Each morning, breakfast was brought to our front door in a nice basket. It was quite delicious!! I would definetly recommend this place to anyone who needs time away. The cottage was very clean and decorated beautifully...and the tub is awesome!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2008

Visiting a local college in the area I thought staying in a B&B would be a nice experience for me and my teen daughter. By the Side of the Road is everything it says it is, charming, romantic, and very much by the side of the road. There is some road noise, but a sound machine is provided and it certainly helps. The beds are comfortable, and our room was nicely appointed and clean. The breakfast was also very good. Arrive by 9pm or you will be treated rudely. Our arrival was delayed by a multi-car accident and traffic. At no point was I told we had to arrive by 9pm, it is indicated in the website policies, but not on the e-mail confirmation. When I called to advise of our delay the owner was very rude on the phone. I apologized profusely, explained the situation and offered to pay for any inconvenience. When we arrived the owner was pleasant enough, but he was clearly annoyed, and it made us very uncomfortable. My daughter was so rattled she insisted we go down to breakfast 15 minutes early so "he" wouldn't get mad at us again. We tried to make amends, didn't use a towel, or ask for anything, my daughter even made her bed. I understand we were late, but we called, apologized, explained, arrived exhausted, and practically in tears fearing we would have no place stay, we didn't need to be made to feel worse.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank COH3
Reviewed April 4, 2008

We spent two nights at this beautiful property in the Shenandoah Valley...and can't wait to visit again. The innkeepers are lovely people - I loved the interior color of our cottage, and they obliged me by finding the paint can so I could get the name of it. When I called to make the reservation, the owner learned that we are trying to watch our weight and eat better - so breakfast included yogurt and fresh fruit. We took advantage of their discounted mid-week rate on a luxury cottage ($159/night with a continental breakfast). We arrived at about midnight on a chilly night after a long ride - to find our cottage ready and waiting - heat on, soft lighting, soft music, tomorrow's breakfast in the fridge, and a personal welcome note from the owners. The cottage is stocked with small appliances (fridge, microwave), soft drinks, snacks, tea, coffee and hot chocolate. There is a nice supply of higher-end toiletries in the bathroom. After a wonderful night's sleep in the comfy bed, we awoke and had breakfast on our porch as we enjoyed the view of Massanutten Mountain, then stopped in to the main house to chat with our hosts. Our porch became a favorite spot to relax with morning or evening drinks...and enjoy some quality time with the inn's cat. The pictures on the inn's website don't lie - the cottage room and bath are truly that large and inviting. The double-sided fireplace - with the bedroom on one side and the large whirlpool tub (big enough for two) on the other - made the cottage exceptional and exceptionally romantic. I have raved about it to all my friends - and wish I lived closer to the Valley so I could stay there frequently. It's a wonderful place to relax and rejuvenate in peaceful surroundings. Great as a special occasion getaway!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2008

We just spent a weekend at this B&B. First time in a B& B and the experience was wonderful. The place is what we wanted: quiet, private, excellent service, and beautifully decorated. The Fitzgerald's were very friendly and helpful, providing suggestions and directions for dinner and other activities in the area. Breakfast was great too!! We highly recommend By the Side of the Road and we'll definitely go back.

H & W
Ashburn, VA

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed February 8, 2008

Wonderful romantic getaway. The B&B is elegantly decorated. The Innskeepers attend to your personal needs. They also gave great tips on local sites that matched our interests. The food was excellent. Would definitely return.

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed February 1, 2008

My husband and I had an unfortunate experience with this Bed & Breakfast. I'd like to preface this review by saying we are not angry nor impossible to please. In fact, I don't think we've ever written a negative review about anything. We're not complainers. We simply feel we were treated unfairly by the owner of By the Side of the Road.

We found the B&B's website through an Internet search. We were looking for a place to stay for our anniversary. We decided to try to book a suite at BTSOTR, so we filled out their online reservation request. We received an email saying our request for reservation was received, yet we never received a confirmation email that our request was accepted and that the suite was ours. A day or two (minimum) after filling out the online reservation request, my husband called and left a message saying we decided not to stay at the B&B afterall and to please disregard our request. The owner returned the call a couple days later and said that, since it was a holiday weekend, he would have to charge us for one night's stay if he could not re-book the suite. (We called to cancel our request more than 2 weeks prior to the date.) When my husband explained that that policy isn't written anywhere on the website, the owner said it is mentioned on the confirmation email. My husband pointed out that we never received a confirmation email. However, the owner essentially said that wasn't his problem. We were charged more than $250 by a place at which we never stayed.

I just wanted to make others aware of our experience. We would not recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: November 2007
5  Thank bam01
by the side of the road, Owners/Innkeepers at By the Side of the Road Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2008

We document every guest contact, especially regarding reservations, thankfully. We have records of each contact with this guest and regret that their experience was considered to be "unfair treatement". The reservation was made via Webervations on Saturday, 10/20/07 for the Veteran's Day Holiday Weekend, 11/09/07. We sent (through Webervations) an immediate acceptance of the reservation, followed by a "formal confirmation" directly from our e-mail address on Monday, 10/22/07. Nothing was returned as undeliverable.
On-line bookings through Webervations, clearly reveal our policies. When guests provide the required credit card information, they agree to the defined terms. Non-refundable deposits are only required for "holidays & special events". This was Veteran's Day.
The formal confirmation, that follows the immediate acceptance e-mail contains specific notice that the deposit is Non-refundable. The email to which our confirmations are attached points the reader to our reservation and cancellation policies printed on the Confirmation. When these guests cancelled via telephone, we offered to post a special notice on our website in a effort to relieve them of forfeiting their deposit. Unfortunately, the room did not rebook for the weekend.

We are disturbed by harsh criticism. We made a special effort to assist these people. They entered into an agreement, and then changed their mind. We accept the difficulty of having to forfeit a deposit but cancellations cause adverse impact due to our small size. If you would be deterred by their experience, at least you have read both sides of the story and can make an informed decision. Thanks for taking the time!