“Fantastic place, good food”

Black Forest German Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 262 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We came on a Friday night. The place was not particularly busy. We brought a 9 and 12 yr old with us, and that seemed O.K. for the clientele.

The German beers on tap were very very good. The food was served quickly and was very tasty. I was very happy with everything about our meal!

There are newer reviews for Black Forest German Restaurant

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Dined there on Friday night of JMU homecoming weekend. The restaurant is in a nondescript shopping center, but the interior reminds me of numerous places I've dined in Bavaria. Not a lot of decorations, but it's German food. Ordered the Jaegarschnitzel and the wife had the Pork Medallions. Both were very good. The schnitzel would have benefitted from more gravy. The rotkohl was excellent. Three good German beers on tap. The restaurant has the potential to become a fixture in Harrisoinburg.

1  Thank Bob S
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We were in town for JMU Family Weekend looking for a "go to" restaurant for what we hope will be many visits to Harrisonburg. We've had our fair share of German food over in Germany -- and knowing that the owner is from The Black Forest -- were 100% certain that the meal would be outstanding.....or at least an A-. Sad to report that it was mediocre. Our server was nice and efficient but nothing could make up for the slow kitchen. It took and hour and half from the time we ordered to get our food. We have no idea what was going on in the kitchen, but whatever was happening back there wasn't working. The shrimp skewer had a dramatic presentation on a vertically hanging skewer. Too bad it was dry and tasteless. Thank goodness for the nice sauce that came with it. The special brats made from a "900 year-old recipe" were dry and overcooked. The frankfurter was nothing special. It tasted like any ole hotdog. The sides were salty and the spaetzle pretty much occupies the lower tier of that which can be purchased in a German Deli (the packaged Black Forest Girl brand is our guess). The salad dressing was the only highlight. Correction: the salad dressing and the draft beer (Paulaner Hefe-Weizen and Bitburger Pils) were excellent. They were out of cupcakes (poor planning for Family Weekend) and no one was patient enough to wait for a dessert that required preparation. The strangest thing of all was that when we asked to speak to the owner we were told that he couldn't or wouldn't pop out for a minute. We asked to speak to him, not.....and I repeat NOT to complain, but rather to introduce ourselves. We had made the reservation personally with him over the phone 3 weeks ago and, at that time, it was suggested that we say 'hi' when we came in for dinner. Eventually, upon our third inquiry he finally came to the table appearing rattled and in a hurry. For what reason, I don't know. We think it's safe to assume that the owner should never put patrons in an embarrassing position where they are almost reduced to 'begging' just to say 'hello!'. Not good.

All things considered, I'd like to give this place another chance because I think it may have potential if they could get organized and properly staffed. They really shouldn't accept reservations if they can't accommodate several large groups at one time. In the end, the server, Ryan, asked what he could do to make it right for us. We asked for the Paulaner glass that my beer was served in. Earlier in the evening, he indicated that he would sell me the glass. By the end, we got the glass for free. He even wrapped it up. It was the right thing to do --- even if the owner didn't seem to have a clue about customer satisfaction, Ryan certainly did. I hope that the restaurant can successfully rely upon the Harrisonburg locals to patronize the establishment. Unless there is a good explanation, we won't be back again unless we're in desperate need of a wheat beer on a 90 degree day -- and only then if we see a 'Brotzeit' sign (typical in German beer gardens) posted near the outside tables so that we know we can bring our own baked pretzels, radishes and a bit of Bavarian cheese to munch on while waiting the hour or two for the meal to be prepared.

3  Thank Traveler22202
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Excellent food, good flavors and always fresh and tastes like the food I grew up with. You have to wait a while for your food, but WORTH the wait!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

It would have been easy to walk into a restaurant closer to James Madison campus, but I was drawn to this place based on reviews and a sudden urge for German food. Although the restaurant sits within an older shopping plaza that overlooks a Sheetz gas station, they did a great job of sprucing up the outdoor seating while capturing a simple but nice restaurant inside.

Our waitress was very nice and the staff seemed to work well together. The television inside showcases pictures of Germany and it made me want to book a next day flight to Deutschland.

Our meals were excellent. The potatoes were lightly friend with some onions, giving this side some great flavor. The kraut was the perfect compliment for the homemade sausage too. The Black Forest will lead me back to Harrisonburg very soon.

2  Thank cobmets8