“Authentic German Food”

Dining options: Reservations
Falls Church, Virginia, United States
“Authentic German Food”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

It would have been easy to walk into a restaurant closer to James Madison campus, but I was drawn to this place based on reviews and a sudden urge for German food. Although the restaurant sits within an older shopping plaza that overlooks a Sheetz gas station, they did a great job of sprucing up the outdoor seating while capturing a simple but nice restaurant inside.

Our waitress was very nice and the staff seemed to work well together. The television inside showcases pictures of Germany and it made me want to book a next day flight to Deutschland.

Our meals were excellent. The potatoes were lightly friend with some onions, giving this side some great flavor. The kraut was the perfect compliment for the homemade sausage too. The Black Forest will lead me back to Harrisonburg very soon.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank cobmets8

“Delicious meal!”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We recently ate in the Black Forest for lunch--our first visit. It was clean and tidy, and pleasant as far as surroundings, but more importantly--our lunch was delicious. We both had pork cutlets (I won't attempt the German!) mine with mushroom gravy and his plain. The accompanying potatoes and red cabbage were both well prepared and tasty. The noodles were good, but slightly overdone I would guess, as just a bit mushy (hence the 4 stars rather than the otherwise 5). The salad with house dressing was fresh, crisp and good with a variety of greens. Our waiter was attentive and pleasant, without being intrusive. On top of all the rest of my positive review, and not unimportant in today's economy--it was inexpensive compared to other lunches. We had ample portions for less than $10 each. Will we return? You bet, and as soon as we are again in the area!

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank greyhairedwanderer
Upstate NY
“Very Good food, Poor Service”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I wish I could rate this 5 stars, the food was bordering on that good. The location is in a small almost run down strip mall, with a difficult parking lot. The facade is unimpressive and the interior almost stark, with very little decor; like a sit-down pizzeria. The salad greens were average but the dressing was different and excellent. My wiener schnitzel was among the best I've had, but there were few vegetables on the plate. My wife ordered steak but was offered a sliced / cubed steak, something new the chef was trying. Again the taste was excellent. The Paulaner lager was new to me and an excellent offering. Then the experience went south fast. When we asked for dessert, we were told we couldn't have it because the kitchen had already been 'broken down' and it wasn't even 8:30PM, yet new diners had entered a few minutes before and had not yet eaten. That was probably why we had so few vegetables; they were running out and didn't want to dirty another pan. When we asked if we could get the dessert to go, we were told 'No'. A really good restaurant / staff would have approached us BEFORE closing the kitchen and asked if we wanted dessert and offered an explanation, instead of here's your bill, we're closing. Not sure who's idea this was, kitchen or wait staff but it told me I'm never going back there again.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank 2drchevy
“Reminded me of Germany”
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I have visited Germany and Austria many times and am a fan of schnitzel. The schnitzel here, and the roasted potatoes, brought back good memories. They were crisp and flavorful. My mother had the chicken skewer. The presentation was a bit intimidating - it is served with the full skewer dangling from a holder, and we struggled a bit to slide the chicken off, but it was juicy and flavorful once we did. The potato pancakes were also a standout. And then the dessert with cherries and ice cream ( which tasted like rich homemade ice cream), shared among three of us, topped the meal off nicely. I would definitely go back.

Visited August 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Amazing food! Go here!”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I had a date here on a Thursday night and it was great. The food was just delicious and it's our favorite place we've eaten in Harrisonburg. Now, granted, we just moved here, but we've eaten at some of the best restaurants in Philadelphia and New York. The food here is on par. We spend some time living in Austria and have traveled through Germany extensively. The food was authentic, perfectly seasoned, good portions, and had beautiful presentation. I ordered the beef skewer and my husband had the bratwurst. The beef dish presentation is pretty awesome. It comes served skewered on a little sword hanging from a metal stand. The beef was tender and flavorful. I probably would have preferred it more rare (they didn't ask how I wanted it cooked), but it didn't bother me. My husband's sausage was excellent. We both also had salads, which were yummy with the yogurt dressing. I need to learn how to make dressing like that. Our bill for 2 dinners with 2 Oktoberfest beers (on tap-excellent) was about $50 before tip.

Here's my only critique - the ambience isn't great. It's located in a little run-down strip mall right next to the highway (Rt 33). They have an outdoor garden area in the front, but I don't think I would like sitting out there due to the noise and ugly view of the road. The flooring in the restaurant isn't very attractive either. They have a large screen TV inside and while I generally don't like TVs in restaurants, it shows a slideshow of photos from Germany. It made us nostalgic for Europe. What I would like even more is to see this restaurant continue to succeed so much that they can move to a fabulous location with a beautiful beer garden in the back of the restaurant.

As is, I will still be back to enjoy their incredible food. You should go too. Yum!

• Visited August 2013