“Try the Fried Fish Burrito”
Review of Rick's Cantina - CLOSED

Rick's Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican
Virginia
“Try the Fried Fish Burrito”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

We've eaten at Rick's a few times as our daughter is in school at JMU. We love the downtown location and the historic building plus the roof top seating. I am not a fan of their salsa or qua ample. They are both bland BUT the fried fish burrito with blackberry habanero sauce is to die for!

Our daughter had the Chicken Caesar Salad and it was ok but the dressing was terrific and the crispy corn bread croutons-yummy.

We will be back for sure.

• Visited August 2014

Harrisonburg, Virginia
“The most expensive. Mexican I could not eat”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

It start with the margarita it was sa glass of sour mix, I told them I could not drink it. My waitress insisted on bringing another. It was made different than the 1st but was also worse. Gaucamole was very bland and seemed like it might have cream cheese in it. The cheese dip was good but not hot. The fish tacos were very bland and tasted very earthy. After 1 bite I just wanted to go. It was the worse Mexican I can remember having in years . I love Mexican but for $ 32 I could of ate twice at el charo and been much better. On the good side I love the atmosphere and my waitress did a really good job as I was a bit irritated at the end.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank travelingtarheel81
“Weekly outting”
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

My friends and I come for burritos every Sunday after church and sometimes on Friday nights. The steak burrito with blackberry habanero sauce is to die for. The chicken quesadilla and gringo tacos are great also. The service varies but our two favorites, Mary and Stephanie, take great care of us! :-)

Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Multiple Bad Experiences”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I really want to love this place. With Dave's gone, I was looking for a replacement for a good outdoor bar/restaurant downtown. This isn't it.

We once waited 45 minutes for a table, only to be told after being seated that they were out of: duck, guacamole, chicken, and even ground beef - the majority of the menu. How do you run out of even two of those at once? And why would you not tell us before we were seated? On top of that, the atmosphere was ridiculously loud and nothing was done about it. A table of around 20 girls were (literally) screaming for the entire hour we were there. I know, it's a bar - but it was almost impossible to talk in the restaurant section. The other two times I've been, the service has been godawful. A friend's drink was once forgotten on the stairs and it took our waiter 10 minutes to find it. Didn't offer to make her a new one or take it off the bill. I also once was brought my food but had no silverware. It actually took over 10 minutes to get silverware while my food got cold. This would all be somewhat excusable if the food was great, but nothing I've ever ordered has ever been better than average, if even that.

I hate to say this about a local business, but I can't wait for a better restaurant to move into this great location.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Matthew S
Temperance, Michigan
“Meh.”
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

I was underwhelmed. We were attracted to the rooftop seating as it was a beautiful evening, but once up there the view was limited to the parking lot and the rooftop of the next building. The menu was seriously limited. My hubby loved his pork quesadilla but my cheese one was middle of the road. Chips and salsa cost $3 and the salsa tasted canned. I won't go back.

1 Thank CSliwka