“A beer menu, great idea.”
Review of Capital Ale House

Capital Ale House
Ranked #22 of 273 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

I was taken here whilst visiting on business. What a great choice so much to try.
I really hope I get to visit here again as there are loads of beers on that menu I would like to try.
Was very impressed with our waitress who had a very good knowledge of the beers and didn't mind talking about them.
We had come here to eat as well, and I enjoyed the prime rib very much.
Would love to know how they keep so many beers in good condition, some of them cannot get drunk that much.
Try the three brothers hoptamization a real flavourful beer from a local brewer.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

My roommates and I love walking downtown to Capital Ale, getting a great appetizer, a few drinks late at night. Fair prices, great service/food/atmosphere. Love it here! Highly recommend.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were a party of 16 who were in Harrisonburg for a wedding and made reservations for dinner at the Ale House while the wedding party was at their rehearsal and dinner elsewhere.
We were seated in a private room on the top floor adjacent to the pool room which worked well for us. However, I had the impression at the restaurant, or staff, were not accustomed to large groups. There was a pocket door between our room and the restaurant room next to us. Because the tables for our party were not set up well, when the rest of the wedding party joined us after dinner for drinks, our crowd (lots of people standing and chatting) was overflowing into the main restaurant room on that floor. Had I been a guest In that room I would not have been pleased by the intrusiveness. It was too late for us to ask the staff to rearrange things more intelligently and, perhaps, close the pocket door.
While the waitresses, Jaime and Liz, worked valiantly to take our orders and deliver our food and drinks, the kitchen staff seemed to be sabatoging them.
1. At least two of us were served cold soup ( I didn't poll the rest of the group).
2. The group ordered several orders of wings for appetizers. The waitress came back to tell us that they were out of wings (at 7pm on a Sat night ?) So we ordered alternate appetizers. When the apps arrived, the waitress was very excited to announce that the kitchen had 'found' some wings for us. But they also sent the alternate apps as well. It is my understanding that they did take off the charge for the extra apps.
3. One guest ordered a Grilled Romaine Salad for her main course.. The romaine was not grilled. It was just a plain salad.
4. Another guest has dietary issues and specifically requested a piece of chicken
,PLAIN, no seasonings. He was sent a chicken sandwich loaded with toppings and sauces. As soon as he called the waitress back she recognized the problem, apologized, and went back to the kitchen. The replacement chicken was not fully cooked.
5. Another guest ordered a brownie Ice cream sundae and received a bowl of chocolate mush with no ice cream.
Because we were on the top floor, all the mistakes meant extra trips up and down to the kitchen for the waitresses.
I felt badly for the waitresses who were working so hard to accommodate us, while bad kitchen staff was making it very difficult for them. I don't know what the problem with the kitchen staff is but I hope management gets on top of it. Our group left agreeing that we won't return. By the end of the night, the group had grown from 16 to 30 so that is unfortunate bad publicity.

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We were referred to Capital Ale for atmosphere and a local flavor with good food.
We just lived the college town feel of downtown Harrisonburg and Capital Ale was right in the middle of the area with lots of casual festive atmosphere with a great beer selection and good food.
While we waited for our seat (15minutes) we had free beer tastings at the tap, but found out that once you leave the standing at the beer bar tap area, they charge 25cents per tasting at your seat....which was fine for us since by then we knew what we wanted to drink.
The wait staff were friendly and prompt.
My son and I had lamb burgers, which were excellent, and my husband had a grilled salmon salad that was good too.
We would definitely return.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We were in town overnight with our teenage kids. We wanted a casual place where we could catch the Redskins game while enjoying dinner. Being a "beer chick" the 100 taps got my attention.

The waitress started strong, but, fizzled after we asked if we could change the TV to the game. We were the only patrons watching this specific TV, but, she seemed a bit put out when we asked. After that she wasn't as friendly and much more scarce the rest of the evening.

Beer selection was great. My husband asked for a few tastings to make his selection. When I asked for a few tastings one was apparently from the upstairs bar. This seemed to be an issue. Then for some reason it was unavailable. It was taking a while for her to return so I decided to go right to the bartender for another tasting since I didn't care for the first one. Lesson learned: The bartender always knows best. I told him what liked and wanted to try something new. He was very knowledgeable and presented me with 2 great tastings. He was more than happy to write down the selections for me so I would remember them for later.

I enjoyed my steak salad. My husband said his bean burger was a 6 out 10. My daughter wasn't a fan of the mac-n-cheese, however, she prefers hers from the box. My son said the burger was good. We thoroughly enjoyed our dessert (brownie and ice cream).

When the bill arrived I was surprised to find we were charged for my husband's beer tastings. We were not charged for my tastings (one at the table and two at the bar). We have ordered a round of samples at other restaurants that we have paid for, but, we have not been charged for tastings. The charge wasn't significant, and we still would have asked for them, but, we weren't told there would be a charge in advance. We were put off by this.

I would go again. I would sit the bar instead, especially if that same bartender was there. He knows his beer and can make good recommendations.