“absolutely terrible”

Motel 6 Harrisonburg - South
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Reviewed September 28, 2008

this motel has to be the worst one i have ever had the truly bad luck to stay in. The room was filthy. The sheets had what appeared to be dog hair on them. The bathroom was so dirty I laid a towel on the floor to walk in. We walked around the outside of the motel and discovered a different world. There were literly dozens of ferral cats running loose, broken down cars, people openly consuming alcohol...the list goes on. Avoid this place at all costs!

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank ironcheflauren

Reviewed August 24, 2008

wouldnt let my dogs stay at this hotel. dirty, holes in the walls and ceiling, mold in bathroom, rusty fixtures, totally outdated. i can go on and on....but ,u get the picture. do urself a favor and dont ever stay there!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank dcsDcs
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I originally booked thru cheaptickets.com. When I called to confirm 2 days prior they couldn't find my reservation, so I contacted cheaptickets & they weren't helpful - so I cancelled & rebooked directly w/ the hotel. The motel is an older 1 story motel, you park in front of your room. The room was very large & totally sound proof (hotel is sandwiched between I 81 & Rt. 11). The heating/cooling unit is whisper quiet & the beds are very comfortable. I slept over 8 hours! (usually an impossible task in a motel) For $49, the room was great, staff friendly & accomodating - only negatives are due to age of motel & need for renovating the bath & replacing carpet (musty smell that goes hand in hand w/ older motels). The rooms have a recliner chair, microwave & mini fridge, the "continental breakfast" isn't much, but Waffle House & Cracker Barrel are a block away. I enjoyed the retro character of the motel & it's a fine place for a night on the road!

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed September 8, 2006

Yuk. I could have forgiven the mildew on the shower curtain, (well, maybe not) , but there were grimy black finger and hand prints on the outside door, and what appeared to be cigarrette ashes and dust along the baseboards. One trashcan had water and cigarette buttts in it. I could hear the guy in the next room snoring. I know....you get what you pay for, but I won't stay there again. I go to that area frequently, but i have learned my lesson.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Cavegroupie
A TripAdvisor Member
Phoenixville, PA
Reviewed May 9, 2006

This place was horrible. We stayed here for one night, because we drove 5 hours from Philly to attend the graduation ceremony at JMU.

It was the only place in the town available at all.. so they charged $122 for the night! Yes, $122!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no choice but to stay there.

Luckily, I brought my own sheets, blankets, towels, and pillows.. you certainly don't want to use theirs.

The room was disgusting. Everything was discolored, the room smelled like mildew, everything was cracked and worn out.

At least our air conditioning worked (our neighbors' didn't). Yeah and the walls are so thin you can hear conversations almost as if you are in the same room as your neighbors.

I so wanted to yell at the people working at the desk, but I knew it wasn't their fault.. and that it's the manager that is responsible.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Merrimack, NH
Reviewed May 1, 2006

I have never stayed at a hotel in such poor condition. I would have left if this wasn't just an overnight stay & I was tired from a long drive. OMG- holes in the walls- big, not little. Drink splash stains on a wall, wallpaper missing, everywhere I looked this room (probably the entire hotel) screamed- fix me or tear me down. I saw other Red Carpet Inns as I continued my travel into TN- I didn't even consider stopping based on this one. Really- should the health department or building inspector be called? I wish I had taken photos to share.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 2, 2006

My husband and I were tired and hungry from a long day of travel. We stopped at the Red Carpet Inn and rented a room for the evening. Hungry we went to the Cracker Barrel nearby for a bite to eat, then to the room. Upon entering the room I noticed a very musty smell. The bathroom was loaded with black mold. When I turned down the sheets there was blood on the sheets and mattress. Were they ever changed between rentings? I then went back to the lobby where I tried to explain to the young gal how dirty the room was...she visibly had no patients for my and with much hesitation did give us another room. From the frying pan into the fire. The room at the rear of the hotel was steaming hot. The heater was on full blast and if you turned it down, it went off. The dressers, night stand & tv was full of mouse droppings. The bathroom was full of mold. We were so exhausted that we lay on top of the covers, in our cloths. We nodded for a few hours and left without ever getting a shower. It was so disgusting. How can this continue? Isn't there any agency who would be willing to look into this? Or will other unsuspecting travelers fall prey to this. We paid $66.54 to be subjected to this horrible nightmare. I hope I will get a response from this managment, but I truly don't think they care. Where do I go from here with this issue??????

Stayed: November 2005