WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Motel 6 Harrisonburg

Motel 6 Harrisonburg
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
NJ
“you get what you pay for! (not a bad review)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2010

that is not to say this is a bad place. it's a cheap place. so the space you get is simple and so are the amenities. it's a room with hard flooring (some kind of tiling), no carpets - as they allow pets (which is great if you're traveling with man's best friend.) they have smoking rooms available if you smoke, and internet will run you $3/24 hours. not bad. the bed/pillows leave a LOT to be desired...but like i said, you get what you pay for. there are many other hotels in the immediate area, so if you like something more refined, i suggest you go elsewhere. if you're on a budget and just need a room to sleep/shower, then this is your place. staff is pretty darn friendly too.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2010

I stayed here because I was traveling with 2 large, bully breed type dogs, and it's difficult to find accomodations that will accept them. Where to start???

Cigarette ashes on the floor of my NON-SMOKING room, that I confirmed was non-smoking at check in. Cigarette burn marks on the sink, and a very heavy, stale cigarette odor. Too late to change rooms, as they were full; the windows don't open for ventilation. The clothes I took in had the odor for 3 days until I could get them in the wash. I grew up in a smoking house, and this disturbed even me. To the point I didn't sleep, even with a sleep aid. Sinus congestion and a headache when I checked out at 5:25 am.

This motel is right next to a trailer park, and you will hear them if you step out or turn your room fan off. Trash in the yard area; no bags to pick up after pets, so dog messes everywhere.. watch where you step. I was afraid to go out after dark, even with my dogs.

Rooms are very dark, dingy and depressing. bathroom light took forever to come on; piece of dried up ham/bacon/corned beef under my bottom sheet, found during inspection for bedbugs. Took a while to identify as it was petrified. No sign of bedbugs, tho.

Cracker crumbs and miscellaneous debris and sticky spots on the floor. I wore my flipflops everywhere and didn't dare go in the shower. I showed pics to the clerk when I checked out and she did apologize and give me a voucher for a free night at any Motel 6, good for a year.

As to THIS Motel 6, I would sleep in my car next time. Really.... I would.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Harrisonburg hotels

new jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

only hotel avail for JMU homecoming weekend. Room was very clean. No shampoo, towels are very thin. Poor excuse for pillows. Hotel staff very, very nice! It was fine for 1 night stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
manassas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2010

Hotel 6 is a budget hotel so don't expect to much.The towels,wash cloths,and bed sheets are budget style.Soap but no shampoo. The comforter was nice and colorfull with motel 6 logo ,some thing you would see on a kids bed. The staff is nice and friendly, This is nice to see now days.The coffie was in the loby untill around 10am.....We got there 10:15 and got 2 1/2 cups which equals 1 cup .Other people didn't get any so I guess we were lucky. It was a safe place place to stay with out no worries, I would definitely stay here again it was a nice place to stay on a budget.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

This was the last of 36 h/motels I stayed at on a cross-country road trip, and one of the five cheapest. I was pleasantly surprised by the cost ($50 at the time), compared with $70 at nearby motels that were reviewed.

The rooms were newly renovated -- nice wooden floors, TVs, etc. Clean. There was some traffic noise, but what can you do? The only real thing was, after I checked into the room and tried to access the Internet, I was prompted for a credit card. At the front desk, at check-in, I'd noted how I couldn't wait to check in online, and they gave me NO indication that I had to buy Internet access (for "just" $3/night, but still). I'm a 20-something. Why wouldn't you tell me about that?

I'd stayed in 35 motels, and NONE of them charged for wireless Internet. I've been to other Motel 6s that have them free. Come on. I just can't stand when I'm not informed of fees upfront.

There were no other issues with my stay (except with the utter nastiness of the check-out woman when I asked for my money back, which I then received -- I'm sure she didn't appreciate my request, but I didn't appreciate her attitude).

Now that all that's been said, to be fair, this was definitely cheaper than other places in the area, and as I said, the rooms were pleasantly nice. I'm just a man of principle: state your costs upfront; don't nickel-and-dime me later. This COULD have affected my decision on where to stay (since if I chose another motel in the area, I would've gotten a free night). I believe they still charge for Internet to this day.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank RoadTripToSFO
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

I was looking for a room in a dog-friendly hotel for a short overnight stay, so this hotel was perfect for me. I love the laminate flooring - the wood look is appealing and it is very clean. Everything in the room was clean, shining, and odor free; everything worked well; there was plenty of light; and there were lots of easily accessible electrical outlets for cell phone, computer, etc. The beds are quite firm and the pillows are thin, but I slept OK. They charge a small fee for wi-fi which seems rather odd. I begrudgingly paid the fee, and the reception was fine. They don't serve breakfast, but there is a wonderful bagel shop across the main road, and the hotel price is so low that it is still a bargain. I'll stay there again when I'm in transit on I-81.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank trishlh
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

I stayed at this hotel when I attended my nephew's graduation at JMU. We paid about $58 for 3 adults and 2 kids. The hotel was close to where we needed to go and close to stores and restaurants. The only thing I liked about this hotel was that they had a coin laundry which I needed to use. The pool looked OK but we did not get in it. The rooms had NO ammenities! It was literally 2 beds, tv and chair. The room had hardwood floors, no carpet. There was NO alarm clock, hairdryer, iron, coffee pot, fridge or microwave. I found out later that you have to specifically request a room with a fridge and microwave when you check in. The room was not really all that clean. A few stray hairs and dirty ice bucket.
The hotel is OK If you are just looking for a place to spend the night and don't really care about the other stuff.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family