“Beware of rooms being "switched over" to non-smoking.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Harrisonburg

Holiday Inn Express Harrisonburg
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Beware of rooms being "switched over" to non-smoking.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed here on Saturday, July 14th, 2012 for one night. I echo Rick M's sentiments and would like to add a couple of comments of my own. The warm cookies in the lobby at 8:30 PM on a Saturday night were much appreciated! Getting put in a heavily-scented sour smelling room that was in the process of being converted to non-smoking was not! While I made my reservation well in advance using my Priority Club information, the hotel was full last night and they were not able to change me to a true non-smoking room.

Room Tip: If you need a true non-smoking experience, request a room on a non-smoking floor. In addition, I wi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisonburg, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear kaldri01,

Thank you so much for being a Priority Club Member and for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. It is great to hear you enjoyed our warm cookies in the lobby. We always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. However, please do accept our apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced due to the unusual smell in the room. I have noted your comments and I will make sure that this will be looked into to improve the quality and service that we offer to all of our guests.

Thank you again for your review. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you soon.

Zelyn N.
Case Manager
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Gastonia, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here on Friday July 6th, 2012 for one night. I have read a few of the other reviews and believe that others are too picky or have become too comfortable in today's lazy and instant gratification society. Let me address a couple of the concerns that I have seen. First, restaurants, someone said they were too far away. We drove to the local town near James Madison University to eat. All the Restaurants began to appear on the same street as the hotel within the first mile. If you like the standard chains they are located within a mile or two of the hotel, less than a 7 minute drive. If you want local fare, drive a little further into the town of Harrisonburg and eat there. We found a pretty good little bar/restaurant called Union Station. It was less than 15 minutes from the hotel. Secondly, I am sorry to hear that the user named "momoftwoboys" had a bad experience. I was there just two days ahead of her and our experience was not even close to hers. She mentions that there was a smell of paint on the third floor. This is true. I smelled the paint as well and was actually glad to see that the hotel was proactive enough to maintain the hallways with a fresh coat. The smell remained only in the hall and could not be detected while in the room. The hallway itself was a bit warm and humid as she described but did not affect the quality of the room. The room itself was very clean. I checked the sheets for bedbugs that I had read about in another review, there were none. The sheets were clean. The room was ample and spacious with a desk and chair that more than adequately accommodated my laptop and I. There was also a chair to sit in which was comfortable as well. The ottoman was a little hard, but that was not an issue. The bathroom was clean, the linens and towels were clean. The front desk staff was friendly. What I liked best about the hotel was that they provided a full breakfast, not a continental. The fare included, Small cheese omelets (unfortunately it was cheese wiz), sausage, cereal, pancakes, muffins and English muffins, bagels, and an assortment of pastries. Was the good great? No, but it was good enough for a hotel that was an overnight stop while heading North. Overall the room was clean, cool, and comfortable, the food was average. It's a three diamond hotel according to AAA, and that's exactly what we received. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are light sensitive in the morning and you want to sleep in, request a room on the Southwest...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

We were driving north and had to stop for the night with our two children. Got a suite on the 3rd floor with a fold out couch and crib, fairly standard and decent. That's the best part. All of the bedding we saw was stained. The crib had no bedding at all. Went downstairs to get some and there wasn't any. Had to make due with queen size bedding?! Went to clean bottles and sippy cups in the sink in the kitchen area and the entire faucet came out and landed in the sink! It was really hot, sticky, and humid on the 3rd floor and the ac just barely cooled the room. We also smelled some type of paint or adhesive in the room and hall. We were next door to a truck stop so I don't know if smells were coming from that or not. Finally, we had flies all over our food at breakfast. We could hardly keep them away. Overall, I strongly don't recommend this hotel. Tripadvisor gives ot 2.5 stars. I'd say its closer to 1.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Very nice, clean hotel. Helpful staff. Good breakfast of waffles, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, bacon, toast, sweet rolls etc. indoor pool and hot tub..very clean. Guest laundry $2 per load for wash or dryer is located on second floor. Fridge, microwave, coffee maker, iron &board in each room. Cost $ 104 with tax on a Thursday night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
The Villages, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

Stopped here on my way to WV. It fit the bill. I was greeted as a priority club member. Nice clean room with a Jacuzzi. Also had a big indoor pool and a good breakfast. I'd stay here again

• Stayed June 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

We spend 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Express. The front desk was knowledgeable and upgraded our room as "platinum" Priority Club members. The "suite" was more of a large, very nice large room than a suite. It was clean and quite. The bed was a little firm for our preference. The breakfast was average although the automatic pancake maker caught my fancy.

We selected the hotel, in part, because of the pool. The hot tub/spa was crystal clear and the perfect temperature. However, the pool was dirty with floating debris, including long strands of hair. That was the one disappointment of an otherwise very nice stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lynn1950
Fort Lauderdale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

Stopped at Holiday Inn Express after a good experience at several other HI Express. The room was comfortable, guy at front desk gave us a first floor room near an exit door. That made it very easy to load and unload the car. Breakfast was good, not as much breakfast choices or as well staffed as other HI Express. We were in very slow traffic for about an hour and I was getting tired of driving but I didn't realize that there are no restaurants at this exit and we probably should have gone an exit or two to be closer to restaurants.

Room Tip: First floor near the exit door
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family