“Historic building, decent food”
Review of Union Station

Union Station
Ranked #16 of 263 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Union Station is located in the historic Whetsel Seed warehouse. The renovations keep the character of the original building with exposed brick walls, wonderful old wood floors, high ceilings, and the original freight elevator. The parking lot is small and fills up quickly. Union Station keeps a number of interesting beers on tap, some of them by local brewers, and has a wide selection of bottled beers as well. FYI, Sunday is happy hour all day in the bar, and beers and drinks are discounted along with a happy hour menu - but this is just in the bar!

A group of about 20 of us arrived without warning. They sat us quickly and accommodated us with no problems as the group continued to grow. All the employees were helpful, cheerful, enthusiastic, and really nice. Plates of warm pumpernickel buns appeared magically all up and down the table. All the servings were generous. I had the steak and cheese sandwich which was served on a ciabata bun and arrived with steak cut sweet potato fries and a huge dill pickle spear. The fries were excellent, the pickle disappeared instantly, and the sandwich was quite good. The steak was shaved and cooked just right. The bun was fresh. Over all, very enjoyable! My husband ordered the fish and chips platter which arrived with three large pieces of fried fish, steak cut french fries, and the pickle. The fish was just barely overcooked - one minute less in the fryer and it would have been perfect. The fries were excellent. We would definitely plan to return - perhaps making a point to go on a Sunday and try the happy hour menu in the bar!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Our company has hosted a few events here and they have one of the nicest private rooms in the area. The food is delicious and the service is great! I can't say much more about them other than if you are visiting the area and debating whether you should dine here--don't debate, just go!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is one of my favorite places in Harrisonburg's thriving downtown. I've eaten many meals here and also am a regular for happy hour. All the dishes I have tried have been good—maybe my favorite is the roasted meatballs, or maybe the smoked sausage. The staff are well-trained and friendly. And I love it that they (almost always) have Jefferson Reserve on tap.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Really neat building that has an old elevator still in it...you can dine there as well. I had the quesadilla for an app that was really tasty. My husband had the clam chowder that he enjoyed. I had the pulled pork sandwich with fries, my sister had the pork platter that she liked but they forgot to send the fries. Overall the food was good and I would go back, but probably after trying some of the other downtown restaurants Harrisonburg has to offer.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The bar here is nice and big and fun. The food is really good and the staff are friendly. Nice place to come and eat out!

1  Thank Claire B