“Lethargic and Underwhelming”
Review of Union Station

Union Station
Ranked #16 of 257 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Lethargic and Underwhelming”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Had to overnight in Harrisonburg for a business conference. Hotel staff recommended this place, and after the experience I had I'm thinking there might be some hotel / restaurant nepotism. Was directed to the bar to wait for table. Not sure why when half the restaurant was empty. Bar maid approached me and asked what kind of beer I wanted. Told her I preferred a martini and asked to see a list. She walked away and never came back. After 10 minutes I waved down the other girl working the bar and asked her for a Cosmo. There was no acknowledgement from her whatsoever, she just turned and walked away. She did however return with a heavily watered down cranberry concoction in a martini glass. Two sips and I was approached by a waiter to take me to my table. I could not take my drink to my table as part of my dinner bill; had to "cash out" at the bar. The waiter sat me at a table in the middle of the restaruant even though I asked for a booth (I was after all ... alone). I ordered a medium rare sirloin, couple of sides and iced tea. The waiter wanted to know if I wanted another martini. I reiterated that I'd like an iced tea. I got a blank glare and he walked away. Over 20 minutes later I was presented with a piece of well done 'shoe leather', cold vegetables and stale bread. I'm not going to embellish any of this because it is what it was. By this time it was late, I was getting tired of the poor everything; I ended up eating less than half of my meal and just wanted to get out of there. I had to get up from where I was seated to track down someone to find my waiter who 10 minutes later brought me the bill. Having said all of the above; I say to all road weary travelers, who on the advice of their hotel staff, recommend this place - DON'T DO IT! I'm not sure whats going there, but it sure isn't CUSTOMER SERVICE! (I might add that from reading the reviews below, and not seeing one single comment from management, good bad or indifferent, is further indication that management simply does not care and might actually be non-existent). Thank you Trip Advisor for being here for those of us that live on the road! Wish I had checked you first before venturing out!

6 Thank Shawty A

Bulverde, Texas
“Good food, ample portions, quaint area, somewhat slow service.”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Ample free parking, to include handicapped. Though on 2nd floor, HC access available. Visited about 12:20 P.M. on a Monday. Quickly seated and given menus. Area very clean. Waitress arrived about 3-5 minutes later (though only about 4 tables, including ours, were in her area). Drink order taken and she returned shortly w/drinks & for order; also w/complementary bread. Our order was given. Meal arrived about 20 minutes later. Meal portions very ample and prices very reasonable. Room had filled up. Finally got her attention for our check and she returned w/it shortly thereafter.

1 Thank Dewey O
Stockholm, Sweden
“Fresh restaurant with quality food”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This restaurant is one of the better slow-food establishments in Harrisonburg. The service is good as one would expect. The atmosphere gives it a nicely formal feel. The food was hearty, yet delicate and well made. They have different specials every day and a good selection of soups that I would recommend.
I would go back if I am in town again.

1 Thank Daniel E
Rock Hill, South Carolina
“Very disapointing!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The four of us ( 2 couples) went here on a recommendation from our hotel manager. We arrived around 7:30pm and had a 20 minute wait for a table, o we waited upstairs in the bar. That was expected on a Saturday evening. My gf and I had filet mignon. It was good, and cooked to order. My friend's wife had the meatballs with pasta, and she said it was very good. Now the problem that ruined our whole dining experience. My friend ordered a ribeye steak. It arrived 5 minutes after the rest of us received our meals. The steak was nothing, and I mean nothing, but fat and grissel. The mean time, the 3 of us are eating our meal while its hot. It took 10 minutes(yes 10 minutes) for my friend to get our waiter's attention. When our waiter came over he took the plate and said what can I bring you instead. My friend said he wanted the filet mignon, since ours was good and lean. The mean time the rest of us begain eating our meals. After 5 minutes a young girl, manager on duty I assume, came over and said she saw the ribeye and it was "disgusting". She said she was putting in and order for the filet mignon and it wld take 8 minutes to cook medium rare. The mean time the rest of us are half-way thru our meals, as 10 minutes have passed since the ribeye was sent back, and 20 minutes have passed since he rec the bad steak. We waited another 15 minutes and my friend's steak was not out to yet. At this time I was getting angry, as this couple was our guest. I went up to the young lady and asked where my friend's steak was. I told her I would be writting a review on Tripadvisor. She looked at me like I was crazy! She said the grill was very busy and she was doing the best she could. He FINALLY got his steak 35 minutes after he sent the ribeye back. The rest of us had finished eating, as my friend begain eating his meal. The waiter came over and asked if the rest of us wanted desert, while he ate his meal. This was unexceptable. The young lady did not charge him for the steak. This in no way made up for how awkward it was for my friend. I felt so bad for him. The four of us will never return to this restuarant again!!

• Visited September 2013
4 Thank mikeyt62
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Bravo! Great Lunch Experience”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I stopped by Harrisonburg, for the first time, recently. We asked someone on the street for a lunch recommendation and we were pointed to Union Station. Great menu, great food, and great service!! Highly recommended.

• Visited September 2013