“Best Restaurant and bar in the 'Burg, hands down!”
Review of Union Station

Union Station
Ranked #17 of 264 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Union Station Restaurant and Bar offers very nicely priced, delicious food and drinks! The bar itself is nicer than most entire restaurants in Harrisonburg. This is, by far, my favorite restaurant in town!

They have a wide selection of entrees, including a great selection of gluten-free choices. Whether you want a perfectly cut/cooked steak, or the best burgers in town (I dare you to try The Cannonball and not love it), a beautifully prepared, healthy portion of Swordfish or Salmon, or any of their fresh, hearty salads you will leave full, happy, and not too light in the wallet. Every item on the menu is well-priced. The specials are always wonderful and you must leave room for their heaven-inducing desserts, all baked fresh in-house. They also offer a very inexpensive and appealing happy hour menu.

The service is always top notch and the ambience cannot be beat. There isn't a bad spot in the whole place, with a large main dining room, a smaller, more private second dining room, and a very spacious separate bar room with both tables and bar stools.

Bottom line: Don't waste your time driving around looking for the best place to eat in Harrisonburg, Union Station is that place.

5  Thank Christopher L

Reviewed January 4, 2012

Though I usually do not review restaurants on TripAdvisor, I was going to make an exception for Union Station. Since my daughter beat me to the punch ("AWFUL EXPERIENCE"), let me add a few items which helped make the entire experience a disaster. First, let me assure you everything she mentioned is correct.

The wrong food being delivered included a soup not ordered, an entree not ordered, and (incorrectly) sweet potato fries coming with the correct entree---this literally seconds after my mother-in-law informed my daughter how much she did not like them.

Drinks were not refilled until someone was flagged down.

To round out the experience the pen provided with the bill did not work. Note many of the issues were not within the control of the waitress and we did not penalize the tip.

P.S.---the Trip Advisor header notes "Good for Large Groups"---check you are the only large group or pay the price.

In addition, be prepared for a inconsistent overall experience.

Pace is not consistent. Tables were given attention intermittently resulting in down time between courses @ our table. Refills of non-alcoholic drinks was almost a pleasant surprise; it was a nice touch providing a glass of ice with each iced tea but they should leave 2-3 carafes of tea @ the table of 11 so we can refill without bothering the wait staff. We could have used 2 servers for 11 people--another table of 11 used one server AND our server. Based on our experience reservations/call ahead (like Texas Roadhouse, ec.)---@ least for peak times (James Madison University graduation day being one of those times) would help us consider returning for a future meal.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

We went to this restaurant on a Sunday afternoon and were quite pleased with our experience!! The menu has so many offerings that were appealing!! As we were pressed for time, we all opted for burgers and sandwiches. My husband had a sauerbraten burger--the Germantown (what a clever idea!!), I had the Chicken Foccacia with bacon, havarti, lettuce, and tomato which was quite good, one person had the Nuthin' Fancy burger and loved it. The only one who was dissatisfied was the person who ordered the Veggie Foccacia. They felt that the veggies were skimpy and the sandwich was unsatisfying. All came with fries that were delicious!! The appearance of the restaurant is very appealing. To access the restaurant, you go up a flight of stairs. (They probably have handicapped access, we just didn't notice.) Good food! We will go back again!! Highly recommend!!

4  Thank imatbobs
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We went on a Tuesday night with about 10 family members. We called in advance to let them know there would be about 10 of us (days in advance). They told us they did not need advanced noticed & we'd be fine just coming in. We got there at 6pm and only had to wait a few minutes to be seated which was great. However, after that it was a MESS! They put us in a room with a large table as well as a 2nd large table for other guests. The poor waitress couldn't even get in-between the two tables they were so close together once both tables were occupied. (We also had a family member in a wheelchair and we had to move all the tables to get them out of the eating area). We may have been seated quickly, but the wait for our food was OVER 1.5 hours - we had some young children and it was a little too long! Most of us ordered the 1/2 sandwich/salad/soup, so there was not too much to cook. The poor waitress was actually running back and forth I"m assuming due to the fact that there was not enough help on staff. The food was very mixed ... a few people thought their food was ok but most did not like it at all. My soup was awful & cold! It was asparagus soup - the stalks must not have been cleaned or woody-parts cut off because we were pulling TONS of woody stalks out that were not even chewable. I finally quit eating the soup because I couldn't stand pulling the things out of my mouth! I bet by the time I was done I had almost 1/4 cup full of them on the plate! Other family had different soups & meals and most were unhappy, but we felt so sorry for the poor waitress that was overwhelmed we didn't want to return it. This place needs to add to it's staff & come up with cooks that can make the meals a little better, because the potential is there, they just really miss the mark!

1  Thank meamaam
Reviewed December 22, 2011

The restaurant doesn't take reservations and we were told there would be a 1 hour wait for a table. Since it was a special occasion (my niece was graduating from JMU) and I'd read a number of positive Trip Adivsor reviews, we decided to wait. Big mistake. The wait turned into 2 hours. By that time some of the group wanted to head out for Panera Bread. In retrospect, that wouldn't have been a bad idea. The service was slow. It took 30 minutes to serve the entire party of 11 after the first of us had been served. There was a 20 minute delay between the same sandwich being served to 2 individuals. My brother, who was hosting the now dour celebration, just had his sandwich boxed to go. We had a 3 hour drive home and had wasted 3 hours already for mostly mediocre food (my ham & cherry salad excepted), indifferent service, and no refills on any of the drinks. All I could think of was all the restaurants in Baltimore that we could have gone to if we had only skipped this "destination spot". Go during off hours and perhaps you can experience the kind of meal that other people have written of. If there's any kind of wait, I'd suggest you get out of Dodge.

1  Thank JJaffa