“What a MESS!”
Review of Union Station

Union Station
Ranked #18 of 280 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We went on a Tuesday night with about 10 family members. We called in advance to let them know there would be about 10 of us (days in advance). They told us they did not need advanced noticed & we'd be fine just coming in. We got there at 6pm and only had to wait a few minutes to be seated which was great. However, after that it was a MESS! They put us in a room with a large table as well as a 2nd large table for other guests. The poor waitress couldn't even get in-between the two tables they were so close together once both tables were occupied. (We also had a family member in a wheelchair and we had to move all the tables to get them out of the eating area). We may have been seated quickly, but the wait for our food was OVER 1.5 hours - we had some young children and it was a little too long! Most of us ordered the 1/2 sandwich/salad/soup, so there was not too much to cook. The poor waitress was actually running back and forth I"m assuming due to the fact that there was not enough help on staff. The food was very mixed ... a few people thought their food was ok but most did not like it at all. My soup was awful & cold! It was asparagus soup - the stalks must not have been cleaned or woody-parts cut off because we were pulling TONS of woody stalks out that were not even chewable. I finally quit eating the soup because I couldn't stand pulling the things out of my mouth! I bet by the time I was done I had almost 1/4 cup full of them on the plate! Other family had different soups & meals and most were unhappy, but we felt so sorry for the poor waitress that was overwhelmed we didn't want to return it. This place needs to add to it's staff & come up with cooks that can make the meals a little better, because the potential is there, they just really miss the mark!

1  Thank meamaam

Reviewed December 22, 2011

The restaurant doesn't take reservations and we were told there would be a 1 hour wait for a table. Since it was a special occasion (my niece was graduating from JMU) and I'd read a number of positive Trip Adivsor reviews, we decided to wait. Big mistake. The wait turned into 2 hours. By that time some of the group wanted to head out for Panera Bread. In retrospect, that wouldn't have been a bad idea. The service was slow. It took 30 minutes to serve the entire party of 11 after the first of us had been served. There was a 20 minute delay between the same sandwich being served to 2 individuals. My brother, who was hosting the now dour celebration, just had his sandwich boxed to go. We had a 3 hour drive home and had wasted 3 hours already for mostly mediocre food (my ham & cherry salad excepted), indifferent service, and no refills on any of the drinks. All I could think of was all the restaurants in Baltimore that we could have gone to if we had only skipped this "destination spot". Go during off hours and perhaps you can experience the kind of meal that other people have written of. If there's any kind of wait, I'd suggest you get out of Dodge.

1  Thank JJaffa
Reviewed December 17, 2011

If you have any sense whatsoever don' t even THINK about coming here during graduation or any other POSSIBLY busy time. It was literally the worst restaurant experience of my life. They told us it would be an hour wait (there was 11 of us) and it ended up being closer to 2 hours. The rolls were beyond dry (they may have been a week old) and there was 1 pad of butter for 11 rolls. We also didn't get silverware until we got up and got it ourselves. After the longest wait for sandwiches ever, we finally got our food one by one. Four of us got the same sandwich and there was at least 30 minutes between when the first person got their food and the last (including the wrong food they delivered). Then the chicken sandwich was half chicken half plain bread with absolutely nothing on it. Save your time and money and go to Panera. I'm not exaggerating on anything I have posted and I would never ever recommend this restaurant to anyone.

2  Thank Jaffaje
Reviewed December 4, 2011

My family and I ordered burgers and sandwiches from the union station and they were delicious. Especially the "cannonball." Service was great and atmosphere was classy and historic, a must see in harrisonburg

3  Thank piper0407
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Ate here for lunch today with JMU son. I ordered a Garlic Bread appetizer which was good but not great. Then ordered the 1/2 Dried Cherry/Ham Salad which I really liked. Had the Sherry Vinagrette dressing. The VA salted Ham was great as was the Bacon. Also had the BLT sandwich which was good as well. It came with fries which were probably good but I was too full to enjoy them. My son had a Chicken sandwich which he liked. The place is nicely decorated and the staff were pleasant and professional. Definitely a good place to take a date/family or friends or colleagues. The prices were reasonable.

3  Thank Bigfoot424