“Staff really went above and beyond, also baked us cookies”

Hampton Inn Harrisonburg South
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Lexington, Virginia
“Staff really went above and beyond, also baked us cookies”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife, who is 5 months pregnant, and I live a short drive away from Harrisonburg and came to the Hampton Inn South for a weekend "staycation" to recharge our batteries and let her catch up on some much needed rest. At check-in, the lady at the desk, Victoria, was able to switch us between rooms, despite being booked to capacity, to get in a room with the amenities we'd asked about. We were very happy with her willingness to work with us to make sure my wife was comfortable. That alone is worth a positive review, but we were delighted this afternoon when Sonya and the ladies at the front desk volunteered to bake cookies for my wife when I'd gone down to ask if they were planning to put any out in the lobby like they had at check-in yesterday. I told them that she had mentioned them earlier and I was hoping to grab a couple (these are the kinds of cravings I am extra motivated to help out with). Apparently they don't typically put cookies out on weekends, but as soon as I mentioned that my wife is pregnant Sonya went off to pre-heat the oven and shortly thereafter delivered a big bag of hot chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies to our room. They wouldn't even let me wait around in the lobby - just asked for the room number and brought them up. I felt like I was making a strange request asking the desk staff for sweets, but their responsiveness and excitement about our new baby was really touching and made our stay that much more enjoyable.

Room Tip: If you want a bath tub instead of a walk-in shower, you need to go for a room with 2 queen sized bed...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Harrisonburg South, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Hampton Inn Harrisonburg South. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our hotel team was so accommodating to you. We will pass along your kind words to our team. Thank you for your business and thank you again for your review! We look forward to seeing you again in Harrisonburg soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Polish first
Kingston, PA
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed at the Hampton Inn for our nephews wedding. It was wonderful! Great rooms, great staff and great breakfast! The staff there was so friendly and helpful- they went above and beyond to help you in any way. They were undergoing a renovation but it did not interfere with our visit. Would recommend it .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Hampton Inn Harrisonburg South. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our complimentary breakfast. Thank you for your business and thank you again for your review! We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the Harrisonburg area!
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Recently stayed overnight heading to Atlanta. Service was wonderful and rooms were very clean and comfortable. Tonya at the front desk went above and beyond in meeting our needs. Will defiantly stay again on our way through!

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Hampton Inn Harrisonburg South. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that Tonya was able to go above and beyond to assist you while you stayed with us. Thank you for your business and thank you again for your review! We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the Harrisonburg area!
Silver Spring
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel before, this stay was great. Even though the hotel lobby was under renovation, I was treated well. Room was clean,fresh smelling,shower was great,great water pressure. Could use a bigger screen TV,but room does have 32" flat screen. Breakfast was served where the pool is usually,you couldn't tell the pool was beneath you. Good selection of proteins and carbs,juices,coffee,etc.

Room Tip: I always get a king size room in the back of the hotel facing the residential section.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Hampton Inn Harrisonburg South. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the complimentary breakfast. Our renovation is scheduled to be completed in April and we are certain that you will love our finished product. Thank you for your business and thank you again for your review! We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the Harrisonburg area!
Potsdam, New York
Reviewed March 4, 2013

During early March 2013, my spouse and I stayed one night at the Hampton Inn South in Harrisonburg, VA. The facility is under a needed renovation, including a full re-build of the breakfast area and much more, but in contrast to some facilities we have visited under similar circumstances, the management at the Hampton Inn South in Harrisonburg keeps it relatively inobtrusive and exercises very good “mess control” procedures. Our room was an oversized double queen – very spacious – had a refrigerator but did not include a microwave oven and the bed we chose to sleep in gave an okay night sleep. The room was clean, and the combination tub/shower worked perfectly. The dinner recommendation provided by the front desk, however, turned out to be just so-so. The fitness facility provided decent aerobic equipment if not top-of-the-line (elliptical, treadmill, and recumbent cycle) and was in good repair. Breakfast was standard fare for Hampton Inns and fully filled the bill. Overall, the Hampton Inn South in Harrisonburg is well-run, very cost-effective, and with the facelift underway, promises to be an excellent choice of landing zones in the Harrisonburg area for the foreseeable future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Hampton Inn Harrisonburg South. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our renovation is scheduled to be completed in April and we are certain that you will love our finished product. Thank you for your business and thank you again for your review! We look forward to seeing you next time you soon in Harrisonburg!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I booked this hotel because it I was in Harrisonburg on business and it was cheaper than the other Hampton Inn near the University. I am loyal to Hampton Inn because of the service and breakfast. However, this one was not up-to-par with my usual experiences. The room was clean, spacious, and well stocked with the usual Hampton Inn amenities. Shame about everything else...

Firstly, when I pulled up I could not immediately find the front entrance because of the construction which I had NOT been advised about when booking. After walking around in the dark I finally located a door marked enter here. There was a gentleman checking in when I located the front desk and the receptionist was giving him details about the hotel, breakfast etc. When she got to me, she did not say anything except to ask for my name. She gave me my key and turned to the lady behind me to serve her. She was treated like the gentleman before me, with a smile, details, and directions. The only reason I found the elevator in the construction mess is because I overheard what she was saying to the lady. I can only imagine I was treated abruptly is because I was wearing jeans and not my business attire. Not a great start.

Next, my hilton honors profile and my instructions to the hotel requested a room away from the elevator as I am a light sleeper. However, I got off the elevator and there was my room - right next to it!!! Frustrating to feel like my hilton honors status does not mean anything at this hotel.
Also, there must have been a party going on or something because people were back-and-forth to the ice machine all night and there was a lot of noise from people moving around in the hallways. It would not have been a big problem if I had been in a room away from the elevator and ice machine as I had requested. Not a good night's sleep and frustrating to have to wake up and give a lecture first thing in the morning. I did not book at last minute so I could not understand why my request would be ignored.

I missed breakfast because I was not advised where the breakfast room was located within the construction mess. I found it on my way out.

I would not stay here again. They do not care about customer requests or treating guests with equal respect.

2 Thank sortiz
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Hampton Inn Harrisonburg South. We are so sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay. Would you please send an email to Loni@beckcompanyhotels.com with your name? We would like an opportunity to make this right. We will also offer you a complimentary upgrade at Hampton Inn University next time you are in the area. Thank you again for your review and for your help in making us a better hotel. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Rochester, New York
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is the 4th year we have used the Hampton Inn South for our group event. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff is both professional and personable. General Manager Jennifer Estep has put together a great team, including Tanya (front desk) and Victoria (assistant manager) who consistently go the extra-mile to ensure that our group reservations are handled according to our needs. The rooms are exceptionally clean, and even with the renovations taking place this year, it was clear that cleanliness and guest-comfort was a priority. Can hardly wait to see the new breakfast, lobby and sun-room areas! Each room has free wi-fi, and the free breakfast, 24-7 coffee, and fresh cookies are wonderful perks as well. The hotel has easy access to and from I-81 (yet it's quiet), and a choice of gas stations and restaurants make this a perfect location for the traveler. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Hampton Inn Harrisonburg South. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that your group has stayed with us four times! We cannot thank you enough for your business! We look forward to seeing your group for the fifth time next time you are in the Harrisonburg area! Thank you again for your business and for your excellent review!