“Anyplace but here!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Carrollton
“Anyplace but here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

First room had an odor, turned on light & carpet was filthy. Pet stains, hence the odor. Went & asked for another room- this one had odor , stains on carpet (pet), folded back covers & sheets were torn, not clean. Found another hotel & left. The clerk did offer a third room, but there was no way I could sleep there, nasty! Really? The lobby area appeared nice & there were several people there, obviously they had better rooms.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

We booked this Hotel thru Obitz at $ 104.50, but Orbitz paid only 84.50 and kept the difference. The Government rate is just $ 77.- so I would suggest calling directly and negotiate. The Hotel itself is fine and the room is comfortable ith a decent breakfast.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Carneys Point, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

It is a hit or miss with Comfort Inns, I really wish they would post when the hotel was built and renovated last on their websites. This is an older hotel that they have spent a ton on making the lobby/food area really nice, but when you get to the rooms, they are just older rooms with new furniture. If they would update/replace the carpet and bed covers it would make huge difference. The overall hotel is very clean and the fitness room is up to date and everything works, that is a plus in my book. Breakfast was fine and coffee was hot. The price I paid was fair for the location. There are plenty of places to eat/shop across the street. For business a pretty good stay, for family on a budget OK, date weekend, move on……

Room Tip: Upstairs is quiet, but only can access by steps.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Forest, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I was checked into the Comfort Inn-Harrisonburg by a very friendly gal in a really nicely remodeled lobby and went to my first floor room. As I opened the door to the corridor, I thought heard barking from the end where my room was. The closer I got to my room, the barking was louder and when I got into my room there was still barking. I called the front desk and asked about moving to another room and also asked about a Choice Privileges Elite upgrade. She said she would check and I told her I would just come on to the lobby. When I got there she already had a new set of keys for me for 2nd floor king suite on the opposite side of the building. Unfortunately, there is no elevator so I had to lug my stuff up the stairs. When I got into my suite I was shocked to see two very "upright" wingback chairs where you would find a couch. Not very comfortable for kicking back & watching TV for any length of time. The lighting was very dim as other reviewers had pointed out. They used very low watt white bulbs in the lamps and I had to turn on more lamps than I normally do. The bathroom door also partially blocked the toilet so you had to close the door even if you were the only person in the room. The decor and furnishings were somewhat dated and did not match the lobby area.

I went out to dinner and several people were walking dogs around the parking lot. When I came back from dinner, there were people walking dogs everywhere and I heard a dog barking in a 1st floor room as I re-entered the building. The bed mattress was ok but I had to really crank the AC down to get rid of a clammy/humid feeling when I was under the covers of the bed. The next morning I went down to the fitness center and heard another dog barking on this hallway even with my headphones from my iPod on. I also heard barking while in the fitness center with the door closed. The workout room was ok except the treadmill sounds like it has a bad bearing and it faces away from the TV when there was no reason it couldn't be turned around. The weight machine looked like new but had a few minor issues. The breakfast area was very nice and seemed to be well stocked. I was checked out by another very nice gal.

On the positive side, the hotel is very clean and the only place I really smelled dog was oddly in the fitness room. Also, the people are really friendly.

I would say that:

A) if you want a very reasonably priced clean place to hang your head, sleep, eat and go. Then this is the place for you.
B) if you are traveling with a dog, then this is DEFINITELY the place for you.
C) if you are allergic to dogs, a light sleeper or need an elevator then this hotel is not for you.
D) if you are a night owl and like to watch TV comfortably or like to read under good light, then this is not the place for you.

If you do stay here, make sure you specify smoking or non-smoking as well as barking or non-barking.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Daytona Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Due to severe weather we decided to call it quits for the day and go to a hotel. We had had extremely good luck with the Comfort Inns we had stayed in during our two-week trip so there was no hesitation when we pulled into this one. Check in was quick and the front desk staff very friendly.

The first thing we noticed was that it was like going through a maze to find our room. A group of guys on motorcycles that checked in ahead of us also apparently had difficulty in finding their rooms as we saw them wandering the halls and then back at the front desk when I went back out for some luggage. Every time one of us left the room for luggage, information, or whatever they would end up being locked out. I'll bet we had the key cards redone, plus a few new ones at least a dozen times. The front desk clerk would just smile and reset it, she had more patience than I was having since there were a few times that I had to either had to call my dad or walk around the building to the front to get back in the building and then my mom had to let us back in the room.

Even discounting the key card issue, this was not the level of accommodations I have gotten to know and expect from Comfort Inn. There were no fresh cookies and coffee in the lobby, no laundry and the cleanliness was far below par. I found out later that this property and the Holiday Inn next door, was in fact, at one time, part of a Sheraton Conference center. That explained a lot in terms of the maze-like design and the outdoor pool in the parking lot.

After two weeks on the road which included stays at 2 other Comfort inns, this one has almost soured me on staying at another since I had gotten an expectation of consistency after such great experiences in the others. Comfort Inn should consider dumping this property and building their own facility with the amenities that the guest are used to receiving. Do keep your front desk clerk, I don't think she ever went home during our entire stay and was as helpful and cheerful the morning of check-out as she was during the previous afternoon's check-in and the resetting of keys all evening.

This facility is a little tricky getting into as the service road is between 2 stoplights about 100' apart.

Room Tip: Don't get the queen suite, there's not enough room to walk around the beds. If you end up s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

We arrived on a Monday evening with a coupon and had a quick and courteous check-in. The room is clean and the furnishings are attractive. The air-conditioner works well and is a decent air-blowing unit on the floor. The inn is right off of Interstate 81, so that is a plus. There are numerous restaurants nearby, and there is also a mall on the same road very close to the inn. The price of gas here is lower than points north, so we will get our gas here before heading north.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank karoleigh
Somerville, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

I'm always a little wary of hotels priced under about $100, but I really wanted to save money on this trip as this hotel stay was unplanned.

With my AAA discount, the quoted $94 rate dropped about $10.00. The location was convenient to 81, the check-in was painless and the room was in better shape than I could have imagined. Only the somewhat worn carpeting let it down a bit. What set the room apart, though, was the spotless bathroom. I mean it sparkled.

So, the walls were a trifle thin, but it was clean, safe and in good repair. And, it included breakfast. For the money it would be very hard to beat this hotel if you're passing through Harrisonburg.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo