“Different opinions, and some confusion about the coffee” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Harrisonburg

Courtyard Harrisonburg
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Grand Prairie, Texas
“Different opinions, and some confusion about the coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

I got a deal on Priceline, and this was one of my favorite places. The pool was heated and the hot tub was working and was a good temperature. The towels were good and I liked the room. I thought the bed might be a bit too soft, but I slept just fine. Someone had unplugged the cable from the TV, but we figured it out. There was no micorwave (but we didn't need it anyway), which I'm thinking was a mistake cause there was a space for one, and the fridge was tiny. I love the place for one night, but I can't recommend it for long stays because of the microwave and fridge.

My husband doesn't care about hot tubs and pools as much as he cares about getting FREE breakfast, so he was upset when he didn't get one. And he didn't like the "marshmallow mattress" very much. So he didn't like the place nearly as much as I did. But he still liked the dark room and the towels and the bathroom.

On the way in we saw a sign that said something about Starbucks coffee. We wanted to get to the room and didn't really pay attention. But I'm thinking Starbucks, the place where I rarely go and get something with tons of sugar and whipped cream and carmel and such. When we got to the room we were looking through the book that says what they have and what hours and such, and it says complimentary coffee. I don't drink much coffee, but my husband does, so I went downstairs to get coffee. Only I guess they meant the coffee that you can make in the room. I think the coffee that is downstairs, that most places is free, is the mentioned Starbucks coffee, and you're supposed to pay for it, just because it is Starbucks. Not anything fancy, not whipped cream and such, just coffee. Starbucks coffee costs almost as much as breakfast some places, so I skipped the coffee.

Anyway, I would go again, even if you don't get free breakfast and you don't get free coffee or tea or whatever. My husband might have to think about it.

Room Tip: I loved that the pool area was open for so long, I think from 7am-11pm. But I didn't have a roo...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Clarksburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

what a great place to stay. clean. modern. the mattress was amazing. i felt like i melted into it after driving all day back from the beach. ironically they sell the mattresses online.... which i am considering. the breakfast is made to order. huge comfortable lobby. and the greatest - and rarest - part was that check out wasn't until noon and breakfast was until 11am on weekend! THANK YOU COURTYARD!!! you understand travellers. good location too. lots of shopping and restaurants. and the view from the room of the mountains toward home were gorgeous.
upscale. felt safe. felt comfortable. well rested.

Room Tip: got a nice quiet room at the end of the 3rd floor hallway = quiet!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SHerbst, General Manager at Courtyard Harrisonburg, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Hello,

Wow. Thanks for the great review. I am pleased you appreciated the comfortable beds, the beutiful views and convenient location. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you continue to make our hotel your first choice when visiting the area.

aikoaikoallday
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

The hotel pretty new or recently renovated, with a much larger & varied ground floor than most Courtyards. It is closely located to both JMU and downtown Harrisonburg. The check in process was OK, the pool area is not too large but practical and good. Rooms were on the larger side, but not immense. Friendly staff and great beds and quiet hallways. The downside was two areas of mold on the bathroom walls and when I dropped a pair of socks and looked around the bed I found a dirty diaper (thankfully rolled up) on the floor between the bed skirt and the metal base from a previous guest. When I stay at a hotel, only four things count (in this order) Cleanliness, bed, location and staff. They missed out on number one but get a B+ for the other three.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank aikoaikoallday
Thank you for staying with us at the Courtyard, Harrisonburg. I appreciate your comments regarding our location and spacious lobby areas. However, I sincerely apologize that we struck out ont he cleanliness issue. We share these comments with our housekeeping staff and do everything we can to correct the issues. I would appreciate it if you reach out to me so i can assure we have taken care of any mold issues in the bathroom area. I would like to verify the room number for inspection purposes. I can be reached at cy.shdcy.gm@marriott.com. Thank you for your feedback as it helps us improve. I look forward to hearing from you.

Bel Air, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

The staff was very friendly -check in and check out was quick and efficient. Rooms were clean. Halls and area around rooms were quiet. I would stay again. There was a special for only a few dollars more you could order from the breakfast menu. Not a big selection, but it was good and worth the extra cost.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
Michelle,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. I appreciate the comments regarding our pleasant staff. We strive to provide the best possible service and a comfortable stay to all our guests. It was also great to hear your positive comments regarding the Bistro. The food is fresh and we offer many healthy options to our guests. Thank you again and we hope you continue to choose the Courtyard, Harrisonburg when visiting the area.

Pa.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Coming home from North Carolina, stopped in to see if room available and was. Room was wonderfully laid out and king size bed. Nice and clean.
Will stop in again next time. Great view of town.
Didn't stay for breakfast but hotel breakfast is a little iffy.

Room Tip: Front has great view
      Location
      Cleanliness
Hello,

I am thrilled you had a great first visit with us. Thank you for the great review. The mountain side/town side view from our hotel is lovely. I hope you enjoyed your visit to the area and welcome you back in the furture. Thank you for your feedback.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Stayed here one night on a road trip; near the interstate. Clean, comfortable and quiet, even with a little league team and their families in the hotel. I especially like Marriott's beds. I can always depend on a good night's sleep!

Location
      Rooms
Helen,

Thank you for the great review. It is always great to hear that our guests had a quiet, comfortable stay. I appreciate your positive comments regarding the beds. I agree that Marriott does a great job at assuring we provide great quality bedding for our guests. I recently stayed at a Marriott property on my vacation and was thrilled with the comfort of the beds. Again, thank you for your great review and we hope to have you stay with us again in the future.

Dumont, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

We chose Harrisonburg as a good area to stay and explore the Shenandoah Valley. The Courtyard is just off route 81 on a hill overlooking James Madison University and the town. With all the chain restaurants and stores right there.

We had a King suite on the 4th floor with a balconey that faced the rear, so no view, but was quiet. It had two nice size rooms. The living room had a couch, flat screen tv, two chairs, coffee table, desk, and a wet bar with fridge and microwave.

There was a bathroom sink area with a long counter and a separate shower and toilet.

The bedroom also had a flat screen tv.

Everything in the room seemed clean and well taken care of. Housekeeping always left extra towels and soaps.

All the staff were friendly and helpful. We asked for a room on an upper floor at check in and they had no problem finding a suite for us.

This hotel does not include breakfast, but they have a little cafe area to purchase your own food. And free coffee until 10:30 am.

There is a small indoor pool and whirlpool tub. We didn't use it, but a traveling little league team looked like they were having fun!

I would definitely stay here again on my next visit.

Cleanliness
Kathy,

Thank you for the great review. I am happy we were able to find you a quiet room and that you were happy with the spacious suite on the fourth floor. I hope you enjoyed exploring the area. The Shenandoah Valley is beautiful and there are many great things to do in the area. We hope you will continue to make our hotel the number one choice when visiting the Harrisonburg area.