“Excellent weekend getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Fredericksburg, VA
“Excellent weekend getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2008

My boyfriend and I decided to get away for a weekend and visit JMU as alumni as well as go snow tubing at Masanutten and we decided to book at the Courtyard Marriott in Harrisonburg. We booked the King Suite with Whirlpool and it was well worth the price (even though it was expensive). The beds were very comfortable, we didn't have a problem with noise (except when the room next to us decided to run their whirlpool), hotel staff were always very helpful, the shower was very nice (except it did leak a little) and the whirlpool was verrry nice. I wasn't sure what to expect since there are no pictures of the whirlpool on their website, however it is big enough to fit two people and it is nice because you can watch tv while sitting in the whirlpool...it is separate from the shower. The breakfast buffet was around 9 dollars but it was delicious and very convenient. The one problem was that the pool was cold because the heater was broken. That's about it! I would definitely stay there again!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — The leaking shower, the noise form the whirlpool next door
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sweetlilme910

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2007

I book a room with two beds and I only got one bed. Although I made due with only one bed, when I spoke with the desk clerk I was not happy with the response, so I asked for the manager. The manager was very rude and actually insulted me by suggesting that I had made a mistake when making my reservation! I will never stay at this hotel again. For $110 a night, I feel like I should be treated well and I will stay at another hotel next time I visit Harisonburg.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MikeCrowner
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2007

We stayed here one night 11/20/07, and can say that our room was up to the high standards of the Courtyard chain. The check-in people were friendly, our room was large and clean, and the bed was super comfortable (important to us senior citizens).

This hotel is a very nice place to stay.

• Liked — Very comfortable bed.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elonole
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2007

Clean and roomy. The beds were very comfortable (a bit high).

• Liked — comfy beds
  • Disliked — no dvd player
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
NoVA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2007

Was visiting H-burg for business. I like staying a Marriotts/Courtyards because of the consistency. Nice, clean, comfortable rooms at a reasonable price. This hotel met all of those criteria. Seemed to be conveniently located near the univeristy as well.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank NoVAFamilyof4
Cheraw, SC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2007

Normally I can count on Courtyards to be very clean, comfortable, and well run. Unfortunately this one didn't fit that norm. The pool is right off of the main lobby, which reeks of chlorine - not a pleasant introduction to the hotel. Once in our room it initially seemed just as I would expect from a Marriott - clean, spacious, well equipped. Then I took off my shoes and went to set up my laptop....and walked into a swamp by the AC unit next to the desk. Yuck!

I called the front desk, which assured me they would fix it the next day. We left early that morning for our day's activities, and they once again assured me it would be fixed.

When we returned that afternoon, they had replaced the AC unit, and said they had dried out the floor, but whoever put the new unit in did not turn it on AC despite the 90+ degree weather - they put it on fan, which pulled the hot humid air into the humid damp room, which then - surprise, surprise - developed major mold and mildew problems! My daughter and I are both extremely allergic, and immediately had asthma attacks. I called the front desk and said we needed to be moved....they said sorry, we're full. I said great - you'll be paying two hospital bills. I had to go down to the front desk and insist on being moved - they even tried to move us to another hotel (at their cost, but we would have had to pack up, load the car, move, unpack, etc. etc. no dice!). I finally did get them to move us into a room down the hall, which was better than the one we had left, but still very musty - we had to leave the window and hall door open for several hours to air it out. Not good!

Not sure if I'll try it again next year on our annual weekend in Harrisonburg or not...... Too bad it doesn't live up to my overall experience with Courtyard.

• Liked — Good location, easy free parking, large rooms.
  • Disliked — Stuffy rooms, trouble with mold/mildew.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Cumberland, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2007

We walked into the Courtyard, right off the street, to book a room after a fiasco at another hotel. Chase, the front desk clerk, was an absolute doll!!! So helpful and he booked us exactly the room we wanted. The room was big, nicely decorated and exceptionally clean. I am super picky about hotel rooms, and I could find no fault at all with this property. It's right in the middle of a bunch of restaurants and shopping. We had a wonderful weekend here after what had started out as a nightmare at another establishment. I would highly recommend the Courtyard to anyone.

• Liked — The location and the cleanliness.
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple