“Seems like a nice place”

Courtyard Harrisonburg
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Reviewed October 24, 2007

Was visiting H-burg for business. I like staying a Marriotts/Courtyards because of the consistency. Nice, clean, comfortable rooms at a reasonable price. This hotel met all of those criteria. Seemed to be conveniently located near the univeristy as well.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank NoVAFamilyof4

Reviewed October 10, 2007

Normally I can count on Courtyards to be very clean, comfortable, and well run. Unfortunately this one didn't fit that norm. The pool is right off of the main lobby, which reeks of chlorine - not a pleasant introduction to the hotel. Once in our room it initially seemed just as I would expect from a Marriott - clean, spacious, well equipped. Then I took off my shoes and went to set up my laptop....and walked into a swamp by the AC unit next to the desk. Yuck!

I called the front desk, which assured me they would fix it the next day. We left early that morning for our day's activities, and they once again assured me it would be fixed.

When we returned that afternoon, they had replaced the AC unit, and said they had dried out the floor, but whoever put the new unit in did not turn it on AC despite the 90+ degree weather - they put it on fan, which pulled the hot humid air into the humid damp room, which then - surprise, surprise - developed major mold and mildew problems! My daughter and I are both extremely allergic, and immediately had asthma attacks. I called the front desk and said we needed to be moved....they said sorry, we're full. I said great - you'll be paying two hospital bills. I had to go down to the front desk and insist on being moved - they even tried to move us to another hotel (at their cost, but we would have had to pack up, load the car, move, unpack, etc. etc. no dice!). I finally did get them to move us into a room down the hall, which was better than the one we had left, but still very musty - we had to leave the window and hall door open for several hours to air it out. Not good!

Not sure if I'll try it again next year on our annual weekend in Harrisonburg or not...... Too bad it doesn't live up to my overall experience with Courtyard.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 25, 2007

We walked into the Courtyard, right off the street, to book a room after a fiasco at another hotel. Chase, the front desk clerk, was an absolute doll!!! So helpful and he booked us exactly the room we wanted. The room was big, nicely decorated and exceptionally clean. I am super picky about hotel rooms, and I could find no fault at all with this property. It's right in the middle of a bunch of restaurants and shopping. We had a wonderful weekend here after what had started out as a nightmare at another establishment. I would highly recommend the Courtyard to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank kwt1966
Reviewed January 21, 2007

The Courtyard, Harrisonburg is exactly what you'd expect from Marriott; a clean, up to date, comfortable hotel near an interstate highway. This hotel was typical of most Courtyards I've stayed at. Everything was as it should be. The bed was great, the room clean, and everything worked properly. I had breakfast in the Courtyard cafe and for about $10.00 enjoyed a good hot breakfast served quickly and effeicently.

I used Marriot Rewards points for my two night stay. This saved me over $250.00 including tax. This made my stay even more enjoyable.

The hotel is a short drive from Shenendoah National Park, which is a must see if you are in the area in mid to late October, as the fall colors are incredible. But beware, this time of year can drive up hotel prices as the demand is great, especially on weekends.

Stayed: October 2006
1  Thank capman100
Reviewed November 12, 2006

I just love the Marriott's new 100% smoke-free policy. As part of the new policy, they are redecorating the rooms. It was very welcoming to walk into a room that looked fresh and smelled fresh. Now is the time to stay at a Marriott--while the rooms still look brand-new. The beds were very comfortable and I loved the fact that they use fitted sheets that stay in place no matter how much I toss and turn.

This Courtyard is high up on a hill and if you ignore the urban sprawl at the bottom of the hill the view is lovely.

Smokers beware, the hotel does charge a remediation fee of $250 if you smoke in the room--and they do warn you about it.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2006

This hotel is situated on top of a hill overlooking the town of Harrisonburg. Within the area there is a Walmarts, IHOP and various restaurants to choose from and gas stations.

The reception area is straight ahead of you as you go through the entrance. The staff were helpful. There is also a couple of computers in the lounge for residents to use free of charge.

Our room, was a basic room but it had a whirlpool in it. It was fabulous, but just make sure you don't put too much foam bath in as bubbles will go everywhere. It is great to share with your partner to relax after sight seeing, you can watch the tv too, which was a novelty. If it wasn't for the whirlpool, I would never rate this hotel as a 4*, it was just like a Quality Inn. It's ok if you're on a budget or just want to stay one night. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. The hotel has a large car park. Harrisonburg and the surrounding areas are wonderful, this hotel was in a great location for all of the sights.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank Sarajl71
Reviewed November 15, 2005

We stayed at the courtyard Harrisonburg for two nights while touring the area. This Hotel is just ok, nothing fancy. The rooms/ bedding are clean. Location is on an elevation and gives a good view of downtown from room balconies. Hotel was actually fully booked for this weekend, It looked like most guests here are visitors to JMU. Breakfast was OK but the restaurant gets busy, its quite small for the hotel size, but clean. Restaurant staff were efficient but appeared overwhelmed. On Sundays they actually serve breakfast until 1 oclock. Harrisonburg is a small town so not much to expect hotel-wise. Hotel bar was closed and they were not serving lunch/dinner. However the Texas steak house right behind on market street and is a must try. Would definetely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2005