“Just okay”

Super 8 Harrisonburg
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Harrisonburg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Endwell, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I had limited funds for a hotel on the way back from NC. I knew I wanted to stay in Harrisonburg again, so I chose a cheaper hotel. The only option was to take a a smoking room. I am a former smoker, so this didn't bother me. And to tell the truth, I championed the state of Virginia for giving travelers the CHOICE, and not making it forbidden. Because, remember, it is still legal!!
The room was your basic inexpensive hotel room, but it was clean, and that's what is most important to me. The blanket and bedspread need updating, and I also found a small bug in the bathroom, but I had all the amenities I needed. Also, the TV remote didn't work; it was a strange sensation to have to change the channels on the TV, and brought back visions of childhood. Still, it wasn't a bad place to stay, but I was right near the 81 entrance/exit, so there was a constant drone of 18 wheelers coming on and off the highway. The woman who greeted me at the hotel was very friendly and efficient, but the girl who was working the day I left didn't know how to smile. She also gave me the wrong receipt.

Room Tip: The rooms on the third floor are the smoking rooms, and the rooms that face west are louder because...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Fayetteville, PA
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was looking for someplace cheap to stay and this super 8 was the right price for me. Now, I know that because it was less expensive that it probably was going to have its flaws, and it definitely did.

The hallway on the first level smelled horribly of smoke. I know that there is smoking allowed in some rooms, but it was so bad that I had to hold my breath when walking through the hallway (luckily my room was not too far from the end of it). The room I stayed in did not smell of smoke.

The room was just okay. Nothing fancy. The layout was not great as there was a rack for hanging clothes/jackets/suits/etc just above the mini-fridge and microwave. Meaning if you hung anything there you wouldnt have access to the fridge and microwave without having to move the clothes. There were also broken electrical outlet covers and the connections were very loose. Very dangerous if you have small children or pets (i did not). The beds were fine and the shower/water was fine as well. The TV and a/c worked perfectly.

The staff was very friendly. I only interacted with 2 individuals (at check in and again at check out) but both were great. I cant comment on the free breakfast as I checked out before it started.

Bottomline: You get what you pay for with this hotel. Don't expect a palace. I would come here again if it were just me, or me and a friend looking to just stay the night. However, if i were traveling with my family I would not stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends