“I was very concerned...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Super 8 Harrisonburg

Super 8 Harrisonburg
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Manassas, Virginia
“I was very concerned...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

We booked late for JMU Family Weekend and had a really tough time finding anything. I didn't have much choice so I went through Hotwire. I'm sure rates were raised for this event because it was in the neighborhood of $150-175 which is ridiculously high for this place. Anyway, when I found out what chain it was I was nearly panicked due to the overall reputation and the reviews on here. That sounds snooty I know, but it's how it is.

Pros: Our room must have been remodeled in the not too distant past because it was still clean and didn't have that old/musty smell. The bathroom definitely looked remodeled. I could see where it had been painted and the fixtures looked new except for the tub. We had a microwave and fridge (didn't need or want them, but no extra charge).

Cons: We weren't there long enough to shower but the floor and walls of the tub needed a good scrubbing with bleach. Blech If the room was redone, they kept the old bedding and mattresses. I swear the blanket was made of cardboard and burlap. I can't even describe how scratchy it was. The mattress had that old, saggy feeling and anytime you moved it shook the whole bed. There was a whole line of discarded sinks out by the dumpster by parking lot. Really? They couldn't have been taken to the dump or something. The tv was a good size but the picture was dreadful. Sounds trivial, but where is the channel guide?

Bottom line: if you are desperate you could get by if you get a remodeled room. For the price we paid, it wasn't worth it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Yorkiemom19

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Deltona, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

This is a Super One not a Super Eight.
The 3 D's - Dark Damp and Dingy.

• Stayed October 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Harrisonburg hotels

Binghamton, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

I would never recommend this hotel. The bathroom shower curtain was filled with mold, the whole room was dimly lit, the hotel smelled, and the atmosphere felt grimy. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank jentones
CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

Well on our way back from Georgia to CT, we wanted a place for the night, it was 10 pm, i checked the surrounding hotels, there are quite a few, everyone wanted 100-110 a night. We wanted a safe nights sleep and be on the road early ( 7am) the next day, so for 1/2 the price we stayed here. Its no hilton or marriott but you must keep repeating its only a couple of hours and look how much money we saved. The beds were ok, no bugs as others report, the bathtub for shower seemed like it was about to cave in, but there was plenty of hot water, the breakfast was not cooked to order but the food there was enough to get us bck on the road again quick. The staff at the front desk were very nice also. So all in all for a couple of hours of sleep not a bad place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CtFamilyman
Saluda, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

Escaping Hurricane Irene, needed a room-any room. Pro's: pets welcome for a fee, we had 2. Also, had a free continental breakfast. Cons: Beds were HORRIBLE, hard as a rock, no give whatsoever, and one of them slanted down to one corner. Cleanliness left quite a bit to be desired. Staff were brusque. I'm grateful for the shelter for my family but would never come here willingly again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Trenton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

We stopped by last year and we didn't even recognize the inside. The renovations were tastefully done. The carpet and wall colors match nicely and the beds were comfortable. I am definitely impressed as it is a mid-grade hotel. The prices have not increased, which is nice and economical. It's definitely a great stop on our trip. The town has developed so much too. Lots of places to eat on the main Harrisonburg exit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank camerong12
Irving, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

We went to harrisonburg for the long weekend and chose this hotel through hotwire.com. Initially I wanted to cancel this booking since I didnt expect that hotwire would put me in this place and came to know the hotel name only after the confirmed booking. I decided to take a chance however and it turned out to be a good bet. We stayed there for two nights and would have stayed one more if we had wanted.

To begin with I went in with low expectations. The room was clean and everything was in working order. Staff was friendly and particularly the owner was a very cool and friendly guy. Being used to staying at Marriott hotels before, I found this place a little cramped, no elevator, breakfast was minimal and mediocre...however, I dont have any complaints since I guess this is standard for the hotel level. Free wifi was good.

Overall I would recommend this hotel if the expectation is for a place to just stay for the night.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family