“Not too bad at all”

Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Concord VA
“Not too bad at all”
Reviewed September 9, 2007

I was very impressed with the amenities, cleanliness and service at this Days Inn. I would say that pool was just a bit of a disappointment, being approximately 20' long, 10' wide, and only 4' deep at it's deepest point. Nice hot tub, though a bit humid in the spa, but I guess that is to be expected.

Oh...the bed reminded me of sleeping on a bowl of Jello.

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — Bed was too soft
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank kdalton0729
MikeHampton, Owner at Days Inn Harrisonburg, responded to this review, May 8, 2009
On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise as to the value we offer.

Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding. Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say thank you.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night's stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it's only through their eyes that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services we provide.

Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
nj
Reviewed November 8, 2006

This hotel is bad news. We went to visit my niece at JMU and this was the only hotel room available. From the minute you enter the lobby, you know you made a mistake booking this hotel. It had an odor and the carpet is stained and dirty on all floors. The sheets on the beds were all static like they never used softener and the bedspreads are dirty too. You don't want to sit on them. We asked for a nonsmoking room. It was on a smoking floor and the hallways stunk like cigarettes. The room smelled really bad. Since it is an animal friendly hotel, we assumed that some creature crapped in our room. We called the front desk to switch rooms but there were none available. We asked for air freshener and we were told that we had to go down to the front desk to pick up a can. When we went downstairs they handed us a near-empty can and as we walked away, two other guests were asking for the thing. This place needs a major overhaul.

• Liked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — do not stay here
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank BanjoTravels
Thank you for your comment regarding your stay at our hotel. We value comments from our guests and try to use those comments to improve our hotel.

I am sorry about the fact that you were not satisfied with your stay.

I have spoken with the staff and reviewed the importance of keeping guest room carpets clean.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

We look forward to your next visit with us.

Michael

Travelers are raving about these Harrisonburg hotels

Southwestern PA
Reviewed October 10, 2006

We needed a place to stay overnight before checking in the next day at our cabin rental a half hour away. We used Priceline and this is what we got. We figured overnight wouldn't be too bad considering the mixed reviews we had read here on Trip Advisor. When we checked in, we were told the hotel was full and we got a basement Smoking room with 2 double beds. The room reaked of smoke...luckily I had some spray which helped some. The bathroom was dated and the tile work seemed shoddy. Room needed painted. My husband enjoyed the hot tub which was just down the hall. (For being booked, he had the hot tub and pool to himself!) The pool is small and indoors. For overnight, we were ok with this hotel. The breakfast made up for it with fresh donuts! For any longer of a stay, I definitely would of gone elsewhere, but with Priceline, you get what you get and for $60.00, it was ok.

• Liked — Breakfast; Hot Tub
  • Disliked — Room Cleanliness and Smell
  • Tips/Secrets — Choose 2 star and above on Priceline. This is a one star or less accomodation.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RichandCarolyn

I am sorry about the fact that you were not satisfied with your stay.

I have spoken with the staff and reviewed the importance of properly addressing smells in the guest room. We appreciate that you felt that you did get good value for your stay.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

We look forward to your next visit with us.

NY
Reviewed July 27, 2006

My short stint was horrible, we were there for around 4 hours and had to check out. It was disgusting. The staff was attentive and tried to help get our money back (being that we booked it online and you hardly get a refund).

Here are a list of some of the issues that we had with the hotel:

1-Our toilet was clogged...when I called down to the front desk, the guy said he would come up with a plunger. When I opened the door, he handed me the plunger and told me to unclog it.

2-The room reaked of cigarettes and dampness

3-Bathtub had mold (looked like it hadnt been cleaned in a while), and the towels were dirty

4-When I pulled off the comforter to lay on the blanket, to my shock, there was pubic hair on the blanket (lots of it embedded into the blanket). I was mortified!

5-Shady characters hanging around the front of the building; I did not feel safe at all.

6-The room was outdated including the bathroom which was a brown color

7-Alarm clock was disgustingly dirty.

• Liked — Close to JMU
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank molinal37
I am concerned about the inconvenience you experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. Thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and the principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to each at a reasonable price. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy. Please accept my sincere apology.

Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed, and that appropriate action has been taken. We take pride in our hotel, and do our best to prevent problems from recurring. Therefore, I'd like you to give us another chance by staying with us again during your next visit to this area.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. There's no excuse for anything less than complete guest satisfaction.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Bullhead City, Az.
Reviewed July 7, 2006

We have stayed at this particular Days Inn several times, The room are great and the location is easy to get to. Anytime we travel from Arizona to the East we will always try to time our trip so that we will be able to stay at this Motel.

1 Thank Jean1939
MikeHampton, Owner at Days Inn Harrisonburg, responded to this review, April 28, 2009
On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise.

Sterling, VA
Reviewed September 29, 2005

I took my two pre-school daughters there for one night so my wife could prepare for and have a bridal shower at the house. The main reason was the indoor pool and although it was small and one had to walk past a hotel entrance to get to it, it was pretty clean. The hot tub was inside the hotel and it was clean and cozy. The room was nothing special but it did not face the highway so it was fairly quiet. It did contain a refrigerator. I wasn't overly impressed with the people that work there and the continental breakfast was unremarkable. The location is pretty good, other than being next to I-81.

• Stayed May 2005
1 Thank Paul R
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 10, 2004

Given the price of these accommodations (approximately $60 per night) my expectations weren’t high. At the least, I was expecting a comfortable, clean and quiet place to stay. As an added bonus, the hotel offered a complimentary breakfast, indoor swimming pool and hottub. While I didn’t have an opportunity to experience the hottub or the swimming pool, I passed by both several times and was pleased to notice that they were generally not crowded and appeared to be clean. The complimentary breakfast was a severe disappointment. The breakfast selections included some orange juice, milk, coffee, Eggo-brand waffles, apples, cold cereal and some bagel scraps. The accommodations were not to my satisfaction either. While the bed was fairly comfortable, the fixtures and walls seemed old and dingy. The room appeared as though it could benefit from a restoration. The shower did not drain properly. The towels were small, thin and rough. On the bright side, our accommodations did include a complimentary coffee maker, soaps and shampoos. Additionally, complimentary coffee and copies of USA Today were available in the hotel’s lobby. One additional benefit of this hotel was its proximity to James Madison University and Harrisonburg’s downtown area.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member