“The best restaurant in Harrisburg”

Local Chop and Grill House
Reserve with OpenTable
Local Chop and Grill House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 263 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Noll
Description: Massive wooden door, old bricks and rustic beams of Harrisonburg's old City Produce Exchange building, the perfect setting for a memorable dining experience at The LOCAL Chop & Grill House. Bring your friends and savor the atmosphere, food and drink that set us apart from other restaurants. Our menu features fresh, hand-selected, LOCAL and seasonal foods prepared with a progressive flair by Chef Brian Bogan. Farm to Table is the mainstay of our eating philosophy. That's why we work with community food producers to support organic, sustainable, LOCAL farms, and put the finest, freshest foods on the table for you. We're serious about making choices that are environmentally sound, from the food we carefully hand-select to the aprons our kitchen and wait staff wear. Casual and fun, The LOCAL Chop & Grill House brings you world-class dining with a decidedly LOCAL flavor.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I had dinner here on a Friday night and enjoyed the restaurant and our selections. I like the idea the chef using local food. The presentation was great and the staff was helpful and friendly. But, most importantly the food was outstanding.

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I was very pleased with my steak and asparagus. Menu is unusual in that you choose your meat then you choose your sauce then you choose your side. Waitress was extraordinarily helpful but tended to be a bit intrusive asking several times how things were going. There were very few people in the restaurant but they made it seem as though were crowded having us wait in the tiny little room by ourselves. It was worth it because the meat was extraordinarily delicious. One of the sides- mushrooms had far too many beans in it to really suit as a side for this dish. I would definitely go back. But they have to stop taking themselves so seriously.

1  Thank Mary Kay D
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Myself and seven colleagues in Harrisonburg for business visited one evening, and if we had been in town another night, we would have gone back... and if in town for another night...we would have gone back. A fantastic, varied menu from appetizers to dessert, plus nightly specials, means you would never get bored. A varied menu is nice, but the food has to be great, and it is; and with a menu with a lot of choices, you need to have great waitstaff, and they do. Kate was our waitress. Her knowledge of the menu was fantastic and she provided great recommendations on pairings (their entrees come with a rub and a sauce). They have a very nice wine list and again Kate provided excellent recommendations.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

The staff was very welcoming and friendly and all staff members worked together to meet any needs that we had. Our server took the time to explain many of the menu items and answer any questions that we had. She made suggestions and was very pleasant throughout the meal. The prices are rather high so be prepared to spend about $50 per person for a full meal. I was pleased that the restaurant served a high quality cut of protein so if we had to pay a premium price, we atleast received a premium piece of meat. We ordered the Sirloin and Pork Chop and both were very tender, flavorful and fresh. The Sirloin was listed as 8 ounces but seemed larger. The sides were very unique and flavorful and very much enjoyed. I tried the french fries that are listed as fried in duck fat and found that they tasted like any other french fry and I would recommend ordering a different more unique side item.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

of this restaurant. My husband and I decided on it to celebrate our second wedding anniversary, and we always love a good steak! Valet parking made arriving pleasent, especially since it is the middle of February and it was cold and windy that evening. We entered the restaurant, were greeted, our coats collected, and were seated in the loft, directly beside the stairs leading to the upper seating. The table was well appointed and the decor was warm and inviting. Our server, however, seemed less than excited to be serving us. He was cold, seeming to have summed us up as not worth his time from the moment he greeted us. I decided early on that his blatant attitude problem was not going to ruin our night. I ordered the house margarita, which was good, and we enjoyed a plate of fried river oysters. For the price, one would hope for more than 4 oysters total on the plate, but that said, they were very, very good. We then ordered the LOCAL (all mention of the word 'local' is in all caps, as though we didn't notice it on the sign out front...) ribeye and the 12 oz. house ribeye with rubs, sauces, and sides of our choosing. The macaroni was good, my husband didn't care for it, but I thought it was nice. The polenta was also very nice. The duck fat fries, which we both ordered, are not what one would hope for. While I very much understand the duck fat is to add flavor to the side dish, but the fat gave it a taste similar to that of lard, resulting in a fry that reminded me of something found at the county fair. The peach ketchup, while the concept sounds wonderful, actually tastes like baby food. I had to add salt to make it somewhat palatable. I would very strongly suggest the chef remove this item from their menu, it's terrible. My ribeye was perfectly cooked and amazing, my husband's steak was also quite good. We chose the seasonal rub, which added very little to the meat, which is both a good and bad thing. The flavor of the beef came shining through, but there was no evidence of cabernet or peppercorns as the rub description suggested. We decided to order dessert, as it was our anniverary and a special occassion. The pavlova is incredible, the best item of the night. The candied bacon ice cream seems to be vanilla ice cream with bits of bacon. There is very little bacon in this item and what bacon we came across was gummy and overly smoked.

So, the pros. The decor is very nice, the drink and sides were good, the pavlova was amazing. The negatives (there are a few in our opinion)... The layout of the restaurant is terrible - if seated in the loft expect bus boys loaded with dirty dishes to pass you constantly. The cnstruction of the stairs and the loft itself leaves one feeling as though they're experiencing small earthquakes every time anyone moves on the stairs. The food was not worth the price. While nice, the "local" play is not really local - Virginia is a very large state and beef from the southeastern corner of the state while we're located in the northwestern corner is not exactly local. One would think the restaurant would be able to find cattle somewhere within the surrounding counties. Sadly, we agreed that we could find a steak that tasted just as good somewhere much less expensive than this place. This restaurant caters to the Northern Virginia crowd (where I was born and raised), which is smart with the university being close by. But you pay for the pretty plating, the "LOCAL" ingredients, and the ambience. Do not expect to have a quiet conversation during peak hours. It was quite loud the entire time.

When compared to places like Captial Grill and Ruth Chris's Steakhouse, Chop and Grill House isn't very special. We walked away from our experience disappointed and will not be returning.

3  Thank Fallon B