“What a great way to welcome New Year!”

Local Chop and Grill House
Reserve with OpenTable
Local Chop and Grill House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 257 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Noll
Description: Massive wooden door, old bricks and rustic beams of Harrisonburg's old City Produce Exchange building, the perfect setting for a memorable dining experience at The LOCAL Chop & Grill House. Bring your friends and savor the atmosphere, food and drink that set us apart from other restaurants. Our menu features fresh, hand-selected, LOCAL and seasonal foods prepared with a progressive flair by Chef Brian Bogan. Farm to Table is the mainstay of our eating philosophy. That's why we work with community food producers to support organic, sustainable, LOCAL farms, and put the finest, freshest foods on the table for you. We're serious about making choices that are environmentally sound, from the food we carefully hand-select to the aprons our kitchen and wait staff wear. Casual and fun, The LOCAL Chop & Grill House brings you world-class dining with a decidedly LOCAL flavor.
Frederick, Maryland
“What a great way to welcome New Year!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Joined family here for a delicious multi course dinner on New Year's Eve. The staff was quite hospitable. It made for a very pleasant eventing. The food was outstanding. Cost was $60 a person but well worth it. Loved the lamb. We all shared our appetizers. Was pretty full by time the desserts came but managed to do my duty. I can still taste it...
So glad the Mayan calendar was wrong about the world ending so that we had opportunity to enjoy this great place.

• Visited January 2013

Staunton, Virginia
“Amazing”
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We ate here for dinner on 1/4/13. The entire experience was amazing. We shared he oysters and lamb skewer (special small plate for the evening). Both were delicious. I had the NY strip served with risotto and asparagus. Hands down, the best steak I have eaten anywhere. Cooked to perfection with only salt and pepper, served with the duck demi dipping sauce. I didn't even need the sauce. My husband had the smokehouse burger. He said it was the best burger he's ever eaten (and he LOVES burgers). Dessert was lemon cheesecake for me and salted caramel ice cream for my husband. The restaurant was still decorated for Christmas and it looked magical from the upstairs. Our waiter was great. Very attentive without being overbearing over pushy. Perfect night out! I would definitely make a reservation in advance. They offer valet parking, which is really nice since the parking lot is tight and parking is at a minimum around the restaurant.

Virginia
“A very nice experience.”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

4 1/2 Stars would be more appropriate. The dining room was sold out but being forewarned our group arrived early for a seat in the lounge. It was New Year's Eve, not a night I normally, if indeed ever, go out. But here we were anyway and my expectations were low.
I will throw in all the low points now only to get them out of the way because this place delivered overall. The cheese plate was an exceptionally bad value followed closely by the rissoto balls but only because they had more character. The mac and cheese made with chevre had more appeal on paper than in the flesh. Do not go here if you are exceptionally hungry and/or on a tight budget. They charge top dollar for the area and the menu is peppered with all the buzz words that should act as warning bells for tight wads. The only other problem was the noise coming from the bus station set behind the bar. A cacophany of china and heavy silverware startled us more than once as if the bartenders were engaged in the occasional slam-dunk contest. As the crowd grew and the noise level increased the bartenders reacted as if encouraged. I am surprised management or ownership hasn't put a stop to it for no other reason than to save money on shattered tableware. My only other complaint was we had arrived so early we were unable to stay for the live band that was setting up.
Service was excellent, our guy was well trained. The menu was special for that day and limited in the bar to simply prepared items. One in our group is a strict vegan and choices were unusually limited for him. We made a couple of inquires and the waiter and kitchen obliged him by allowing one of the dinging room selections. Another guest ordered a cocktail with an obscure list of ingredients and she was also obliged. Food was well prepared and presented.
The rest of what we ordered was exceptional in flavor with high raves for the calamari, salads, tofu steak and buffalo slider; the last item being the best value on the menu. I will most likely return to explore the menu again.

• Visited January 2013
“Hits the high notes!”
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

The food is stellar! We tried the scallops with the parsnip butter,rosemary goat sausage, the arancini de riso,calamari and a bunch of other appetizers. They all tasted divine!
Also tried the trout and steak but somehow hubby and I are not big on choose your meat and rub kind of entrees. We'd rather have the chef prepare something for us using his expertise. In the future we plan on making a dinner out of the very delicious appetizers and skip the entrees.
Must mention the bread and oil( olive oil and herb infused Canola oil) that is brought out courtesy the restaurant after you are seated.
The service was attentive.
The exterior of the restaurant is an old brick building/warehouse. It adds to the appeal of the restaurant. Once inside I was a bit dissapointed by the worn out rug at the reception and upstairs. The chairs could do with better upholstery too.

Frederick, Maryland
“Great restored building with charm and some tasty food and drink”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Had a great visit here during my wife & I's anniverary trip to this area. Our hotel and many others recommended this place and it didn't dissapoint. Food was delicious and great attentive staff made for a great evening. My wife had the duck and I had a crazy good ribeye. They didn't do anything special for our anniversary (which I noted on our online reservation) but hey the food and service was spectacular so I can't knock them on that. It isn't a TGI Fridays with clapping and sparkler cake.....lol.

Visited August 2012