“Amazing Food! Homemade Desserts, Barbecue, Sauce, Ribs, Soup, and More!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Houndstooth Cafe

Houndstooth Cafe
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: We have reopened!! We look forward to serving Hanover and the surrounding community! We serve made from scratch southern comfort food, smoked BBQ, Ribs, and seafood!
Raleigh
“Amazing Food! Homemade Desserts, Barbecue, Sauce, Ribs, Soup, and More!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

We've been stopping at this great little restaurant for a few years now on our way to Washington, D.C. Connie is the best and we're greeted like old friends. The food is tasty, too!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank SherryAuthor

Mechanicsville, Virginia
“My all-time favorite restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2011

I've been going to the 'Tooth' since they opened in 1988, and I have to say, it is my all-time favorite place to eat. They have consistent quality, a friendly atmosphere, and without a doubt, the best desserts on the planet. If I don't have room for dessert, I get one to go, and I've been buying bbq by the pound to take to wing-dings or just to keep in my freezer when company comes. Everybody is friends with the owner(s), and if you like good bbq or seafood, chicken or just a burger, it is THE place to go. From appetizers to lobster on Valentine's Day, Connie Cunningham knows how to make everyone feel special. My only complaint is that she's closed on Sunday and Monday! (But then she and I couldn't go out to other swanky places on her days off!) Go there once and you will LOVE the Houndstooth as much as I do!

• Visited April 2011
Mechanicsville, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best place in Richmond for BarBQue or CrabCakes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2010

I've taken many friends from all over the country to Houndstooth to eat and everyone loves it! The food is consistently delicious and a favorite with everyone. It's worth the drive to get there and is Hanover's best kept secret. Let's let everyone know how wonderful it is - fantastic food, local flare and excellent prices.

bradenton fl
“one great restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2009

my husband and I use to travel from Waldorf to Florida when we lived in md. We always planned to have lunch at the houndstooth . I went there especially for the DERBY PIE !
I even got the recipe but it can't compare to yours. now that we live in Fl we fly and visit our daughter in silver spring md. we bought a new car in md and will be driving it back to Fl.and will be going out of our way to once again visit your cafe.

Virginia
“Barbeque, Fish, and Local Color”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2008

The Houndstooth is a family-owned and family-operated restaurant near Ashland, VA in the historic hamlet of Hanover Courthouse, where Patrick Henry spoke.

The Houndstooth is probably our favorite local restaurant. I think the reason is because it is most representative of Hanover County.

It has been around a good long while, and the owner will still ring you up at the end of your meal. The special vegetable of the day may be fried green tomatoes, depending on the season.

If the weather is right, it is a fine thing to sit out on the front porch and wait for your table with a Coke or a glass of wine.

The food choices are mostly BBQ and fish. The vegetables are average southern restaurant fare. The local surf and turf varies with the season: you can get fried oysters and ribs, for example, at certain times. You can also customize your order.

If you have time to kill before dusk, there are back roads north off Rt 54 or east off Rt 301 worth exploring.

2 Thank consaac

Been to Houndstooth Cafe? Share your experiences!