“Friendly Atmosphere, Great BBQ”

County Grill & Smokehouse
Ranked #1 of 307 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Went here for lunch on July 4, with my son and his family. Very happy with the friendly service from all the staff, not just our waiter. The food hit the spot when we were looking for a southern BBQ place. Nice selection of meats to choose for the meal, and the standard choice of sides. Odd thing was when I ordered black-eyed peas, the waiter said there would be a minor surcharge - like 40 cents. Seemed petty, but not worth changing my order. We will go back again on our next visit to Hampton.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Went there with a group of 30 for a Friday night dinner. In town for a basketball tournament, so no one had eaten there previously. Tables set up and ready for us upon arrival. Seated immediately with delicious corn bread muffins on the table. Drinks and food order taken quickly. Food was excellent. The group ordered a variety of things and everyone was pleased with their food. Not a single complaint. Great service and great food!

Reviewed July 10, 2014

So incredibly good - I had the tumbleweed which had soft bread with tender flavorful beef brisket soaked in au jus, swiss cheese and fried onions on the inside. The cornbread muffins and honey butter was delicious and the potato salad tastes like a really great cheesy baked potato. The service was very friendly and sent us off with extra muffins, probably because it was late. My husband's combo meal was delicious too. It's the best meal I've had this week in Virginia.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I used to live in Hampton Roads and County Grill on Mercury Boulevard has become a favorite eating spot for me. My most recent stopover was with friends I haven't seen in years. We were seated quickly. Service is usually spot-on, but this Friday evening in late May must have been an off-night, as we waited longer than should have been necessary for them to take our orders.

However, they kept us well stocked with their fantastic sweetbutter cornbread of which, gratefully, they're never stingy. The sweet tea is real and delicious. The room is well built and has a fireplace at the far end, though I've rarely seen them use it. It is, after all, southern Virginia.

The food was delicious and the service picked up. While I've had a better experience at both this and the Yorktown locations, I still call County Grill a must-stop whenever I'm in town and have the time.

1  Thank Christian M
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Love love love this place, we were referred to this restaurant shortly after we moved here in 2012. Since then it's been our favorite place to go, we even bring out of our town guests here. The food is cooked to perfection and the staff are friendly and helpful, I love that they provide a paper tablecloth and crayons for the kids. Beef brisket is a favorite of mine, the smoked flavor is really amazing.

1  Thank tlacey81