“My First "Real" Sushi Experience”

Soya Japanese Cuisine
Ranked #171 of 298 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Waitstaff
Williamsburg, Virginia
“My First "Real" Sushi Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I had never tried sushi other than a couple of experience with the grocery store stuff, and I didn't think I cared for it. Now I'm hooked on it. The sushi here was delicious! I also liked that it is a very small, quiet place. Our server was very helpful in helping us with our selections. I highly recommend this place.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank VaTraveler46

Boston, Massachusetts
“Sashami Deluxe for two, unfiltered Sake and watch the show”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

My experience with Soya has always been pleasant and the food superb. They were so tolerant of my sister's "raw" phobia, that with tempura greenbean rolls and much patience, she is now an accomplished eater of sushi. I have eaten sushi in many restaurants around the country and Soya always compares well.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank Earl K
“Long time patron.... Totally disgusted and will never go back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2010

My husband and I have probably spent over $1,500 at this establishment over the last four miserable years of living in this town.
That said, Soya was our "place." And really, the only restaurant we could count on to be a good experience every time.
Recently though, our experiences there have been aweful. They hired 2 new waitresses who have no clue what customer service means; the brothers who do all the cooking seem to always be too stoned to care that the service is failing.
The matriarch of the operation, I was told, only comes in to collect the money every Thursday.
I brought my friend who was visiting from out of town. We arrived at 1:45pm- 15 minutes before closing. They turned us away. I had spent the better part of the afternoon getting my two year old ready and bragging to my friend about how wonderful soya was.
To my dismay, when we arrived, we were turned away. I turned my eyes to the brothers who know me by face; but alas, they avoided my desperate stare....
A week later, when a blizzard had kept my friend from returning home, we stopped there again, hoping that the previous experience was a fluke and we really wanted sushi. To make a long story short.... Worse experience. No scallops, no terryiaki, horrid customer service. We will never return. Hope this helps anyone considering this place. Also they are overpriced and their bathroom is disgusting and behind a greasy curtain.