“Excellent Place”

SpringHill Suites Hampton
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding at the end of September. I checked in late and the desk clerk Justin was my first impression. Not only was he knowledgeable about local hot spots, but he was also very friendly. This was an amazing hotel and I will definetly stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2013
Anthony_S_Hunt, Manager at SpringHill Suites Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the feedback! It is wonderful to hear from our valued customers and appreciate your patronage. We greatly appreciate your recognition of our evening desk clerk, Justin. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

The room was nice and spacious. Very clean too minus a stain on the couch. My problem was the people on our floor were very noisy. I was in town to run a half marathon and was not happy with being woken up with party goers. Our air conditioner also sounded like a jet engine. Very disappointing. If you like sleep, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Rebecca E,

Thank you very much for your feeback and I am very sorry that you could not sleep very well during your stay with us, we did have quite a few guests staying with us that were participating in the Marathon. Again, we are terribly sorry that your experience with us was not a good one, but invite you to give us another try.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

My family and I planned a 5 day/4 night stay at the Springhill Suites during the Labor Day holiday. After having a mediocre experience at one particular Marriott hotel, we decided to give this chain another chance. I must say that we were all pleasantly surprised, and in a very good way. The front desk personnel was very polite, the bed was comfortable (a huge improvement from the other chain we stayed at), and the noise control wasn't too terrible. The breakfast buffet had quite a variety (scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, self serve waffles, fruits, oatmeal, grits, etc). If we had any complaints it would be that for some reason our room wasn't cleaned the day before we were expected to check out. We thought that was quite bizarre. Other than that our room was quite clean, and we made sure to tip our maid after doing such a wonderful job. All in all, we were happy guests. FYI: The ipod docking station didn't work in the room.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Anthony_S_Hunt, Manager at SpringHill Suites Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear LucianGirl_347,

Thank you very much for your recent review! I truly appreciate the fact that you gave Marriott another opportunity and I am delighted that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations. We hope to see you and your family again soon!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

This property was very clean, the breakfast was tasty, and the staff were very nice and helpful. The room is comfortable and the location is convenient. The beds were also comfortable. This property is close to the interstate and local restaurants. The microwave and refrigerator in the room were very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Anthony_S_Hunt, Manager at SpringHill Suites Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the feedback! It is wonderful to hear from our valued customers and appreciate your patronage. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at this spring hill Hampton/VA, on August 31-thru-Sep 2 (just 2 nights) with our two little boys (5&6 years)
Check in was easy, the room was clean, the beds and pillows were comfortable, front desk were friendly and cheerful, but our TV remote did not work, so after calling the front desk they send another remote and another, but the third time the maintenance man decided that the remote unit inside the TV is shot, and not communicating with the remote….so we spent the first night hoping back and forth to the TV to adjust the volume and channels manually…..another thing….they did not have the bedding for the sofa bed in the room…..that required more calls to the front desk….the room did have the door knob hanger/stick in (Do Not Disturb)….later we found out that none of the room had that….the 2nd room we were moved to did not have that…and no one in the late evening hours had that sign up at the doors, tells me they did not even have them in any of the rooms
Next day they decided to move us to another room…..so, I made sure to ask them to have the sofa bed bedding (Sheets, blanket pillows) in the room….well….when we came to the room in the evening….the room did not have the sofa bedding, no trash can, no Kleenex box in the proper slot for it….all that required 2-3 calls for them to bring it, and they missed the pillows, so they got them later
Breakfast was OK, scrambled eggs were out and it took 10 min for them to make another batch (only one lady was in charge on a Holiday weekend!!!!)…..they only had one toaster unit for all the tens of guests waiting to toast their bagels, muffins, or toast bread…..that delays the line over and over
Trash bins were both full and flowing on the floor….with no one to empty and wipe tables for the next guest to sit down
Trash bins at hotel entrance were the same condition, full and people had even left plastic bags on the side (very ugly view at entrance)
Alarm clock in the room was not working or not plugged, one night stand light was not plugged….I had to fool around behind the bed to plug it back in (This is all the responsibility of housekeeping to be sure all is orderly in the room) but in essence it is the responsibility of management to assure that housekeeping is doing their job right……but they failed
I could tell you they turned around and rented our first room (that had the bad TV) to other customers hoping that they won’t complain…..and I bet every room did not have a sofa bed bedding….because I noticed that they had several spares sitting in the front office back room
The sofa bed in our 2nd room had busted springs and they keep turning around and renting without fixing it hoping guests won’t mind….well guest do mind, and that’s why I am writing this review
I also was not very happy to have breakfast, coffee, and juice with the flimsy white Styrofoam plates and cups (as I read from another reviewer)
And with this kind of cups there were no lids to fit the coffee cups for hot water spills safety
We stay at many Marriott’s, but unfortunately this hotel did not meet the Marriott standards we are accustomed to
Seems that all they want is occupancy rate to be high, jeopardizing customer service and quality
I would not stay at this hotel again, nor, I would recommend it to anyone
* I am posting a photo of the busted springs on the sofa bed

Frank

Room Tip: Read review above and you decide!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

I am so sorry that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. It appears that we definitely failed when it comes to delivering outstanding service. My staff and I reviewed each of your comments and have taken appropriate action to resolve each issue in the room you occuppied. In addition, we are re-evaluating our inspection processes to ensure these type of issues do not occur in the future. Again, we are terribly sorry that your stay was not a good one, but invite you to give us another try. We greatly appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to improve and provide a better experience.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Road Warrior. On the road overnight more than 100 nights a year, so I know great service when it is provided. Staff always greeted me wherever I was in the facility. Excellent breakfast--good food; prepared and presented well; and clean, open area. Room spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Anthony_S_Hunt, Manager at SpringHill Suites Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stay here on a fairly regular basis when I am working in Newport News. Over the year it has been hit or miss, never consistently great or terrible.

The good - large fitness center, very good breakfast and gathering area, rooms and furnishings are fine for this brand level, close to restaurants, and overall convenient location. Staff are friendly and helpful.

The bad (or sometimes bad) - the equipment in the fitness center is not in great shape. This week, only 1 treadmill was fully functional with its own TV. Another had no tv at all and the other did not work (but they actually have 3 treadmills which is awesome). On the 3 of 4 nights I used the center last week there were no towels or wipes. This hotel gets a lot of groups such as youth groups and teams. This can certainly impact the quality of your stay. Might want to see what kind of tourneys or other things are happening in the area. Finally, while there are many good dining spots in the area, it is just off of Mercury Blvd which is OK right around the big shopping center at Coliseum and Mercury but gets pretty sketchy pretty quick once you venture too far away in either direction

Room Tip: Away from elevator at either end. Lots of kids/ groups running up and down hallways and the doors cl...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ted b

Thank you for the review and comments! The staff and I are so glad you decided to give Springhill Suites another try and even more pleased that we were able to meet your needs on this particular trip! It is wonderful to hear from our valued repeat customers and appreciate your continued patronage. We look forward to seeing you again soon.