“Hotel is nice - but the thermostats stink!”

SpringHill Suites Hampton
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stay at Marriott properties often and usually like Spring Hill Suites. Actually, this property is nice enough but it really bugs me when a hotel puts in a crappy thermostat. This property is another example. I'm kind of fussy about the temp in my room and carry a thermometer with me because you can't trust the thermostats in the room. The thermostat in the room had to be set at 74 degrees but the temp fluctuated from 70 -75 degrees.

The rest of the experience was fine and up to Marriott's normal standards. The location is a little hard to find tucked behind another hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 3, 2013

My friend, sister and I stayed here Friday and Saturday nights, February 22 and 23,2013. Not everything about this hotel was bad. The staff were pleasant and courteous. The decor was agreeable. The beds were comfortable and the shower was good. But the good did not make up for the bad. Our bathroom had not been cleaned when we arrived, and it never was cleaned while we were there. Neither was the rest of our room cleaned Sat morning. When we called housekeeping, we were informed that "they had too many rooms to clean" and therefore, could not get to us. Worst of all, we had been in the room for a short while when I saw a roach run off a spoon I'd just used to stir a cup of tea. It ran underneath the microwave. Moving to another hotel proved impossible because of the quilt show in town. /We choose to skip breakfast on Sat morning, but when we went down for it Sun morning, with more than half an hour to spare before the scheduled time was over, almost everything was gone, including coffee cups. We were told that they would not be replenishing the breakfast bar. So basically, we paid for housekeeping service which we did not receive. We paid for breakfast which we did not receive.

Room Tip: My advice would be to find another hotel, unless drastic changes have been made.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sandra R
Reviewed February 17, 2013

So I had a birthday weekend stay at springhill suites..I loved it..The hotel was nice and clean..The rooms were spacious and the staff were all friendly and nice..I would def. stay here again..I admit this wasnt my 1st choice..But after the nasty customer service I received at my first choice, I left and came here...Glad I did..Great things sometimes does come in small packages..Thank you!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Anthony H, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Licia, how wonderful it is the here your kind comments about our property the Springhill Suites Hampton. We are very proud that we gave you an outstanding Birthday experience. We hope that you continue to make the Springhill Suites Hampton your first choice for your hotel accommodations. I look forward to see you on your next stay with us. Best regards from all the associates at the Springhill Suites Hampton

Reviewed December 9, 2012

It started off as an ok stay later through the night we couldn't breathe because of how hot it was. We complained to the front desk and got an extra room which was a very smooth process. We checked out and was told to make our complaint through the third party for our room because it was paid through a third party and we checked out and we were on our way with no thought of anything. 2 hours later we found we had been charged $250 extra. We called to find out what it was about and were accused of smoking in the room with so called proof. My wife nor I smoke and we tried to explain this to the management but were accused of lying. Several things just didn't seem right when we called corporate we were accused of lying once more. This is a very poor run company and we will not be giving the Marriott company anymore of our business

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Madger86
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed here over night for a conference. Room was dirty. House keeping was gone for the night. No one was able to clean my room. There was a hair pin on the sink with hair in it, a broken drain, smudges everywhere and stains on the couch. Don't waste your time or money. Marriott has seriously gone down hill. This was a disgrace. Lastly I asked to switch rooms and was given a room that was still being renovated with a tube TV.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Springhill_Manager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear Pearl,
I apologize that your previous stay was not up to Marriott or my standards. I have shared your experience with the staff so that we are able to learn from our mistakes. I believe that if you stay at the SpringHill Suites next time you are in the area you will have a much more pleasant stay. Your opinion is very important to us because we will use it to enhance everyone’s experience.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I have stayed at many Marriott properties and was disappointed by this one. Platinum Premier guests are always suppose to be offered a gift on arrival, which was not done. This may seem petty to some, but when you spend more nights on the road than at home, it is nice to get a little something, even if it is just a dessert from the convenience store. The room was okay. The couches look old and are stained, but the bed was comfortable and the rest of the room was clean. The shower stop didn't work but when I reported it to the front desk, maintenance came up right away to fix it. The alarm clock didn't work correctly (the wheel to set the time was broken) but thankfully it was already set to the time I needed. The TP holders are ridiculously far from the toilet. If you are short you cannot reach them without getting up. The exercise room was very dirty but they have decent equipment for a tiny gym. By about 2pm the coffee and hot water offered in the lobby was luke warm at best and was not refilled/reheated. Breakfast was very good and plenty of food options were offered. You can get free Wifi in your room with good signal. Bottom line I probably would not stay here again given all the other options in the area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Springhill_Manager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

We greatly appreciate your dedication to the Marriott brand. As an experienced traveler you have seen a plethora of hotels and your comments are very important to us. We will review all of the concerns you raised and ensure they are all corrected.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Recently stayed during Hurricane Sandy. Staff were great! Extremely professional and friendly. No problem when I wanted to switch my room to a lower floor. They even offered dinners due to weather since guest didn't feel comfortable going out one evening. Rooms were comfortable. Many choices for breakfast - not just pastries and bagel. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business