“17 months and counting”

Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Wooster, Ohio
“17 months and counting”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I have been staying at the SpringHill now for 17 months and counting. Like any establishment there is always pro's and con's. the staff at the hotel has made my experience here worth every penny spent. While the breakfast could use a little revamping the overall cleanliness of the rooms as well as the facility is right on target. Reading through some of the past reviews I can understand patrons concerns. Sadly, you can't always win them all. Several of my coworkers have stayed at other Marriotts (as well as Hiltons) in the area and they have all moved to the SpringHill due to the environment and comfort/layout of the rooms. Overall, I am extremely pleased with all of my stays at the SpringHill and I would highly recommend this establishment to everyone.

PS - Great location for food, shopping and night life on the weekends!

Room Tip: I prefer being away from the elevators. Biggest rooms in house are at the ends of the halls
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Maryland
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed here during late July for my family reunion. It would not have been my first choice if I was the one picking a hotel for this area. The rooms are a good size and decently decorated. The staff was friendly, although not always attentive. My biggest gripe is with the elevator. Most of the time it didn't work. One of my family members actually got stuck in it. On another occasion I tried several times to go down to the lobby, but that didn't go so well. I ended up getting out after two attempts and taking the stairs. From that point on I only bothered with the stairs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Naples, Florida
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I handed the young man assigned as manager on duty this list upon check out: stains on couch and carpet, first queen bed had stained sheet, second had glitter between sheets, full length mirror had handprints at knee level, after in shower found bar of soap left in there with dark hairs stuck to it! Dusty surfaces was the least of my concerns. I couldn't check out fast enough, and chose to bypass the free breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: I chose this hotel counting on the Marriott Standard, and was disappointed!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Springhill_Manager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Hampton, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
I appreciate your honest feedback regarding your previous stay with us. I used the note you gave me to hold a training session for the entire housekeeping and maintenance department. Since your last stay we have a new manager on property that is doing an amazing job getting our rooms the way they should be. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again next time you are in the area.
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is hidden behing the Hilton in front so it's easy to miss. Check in was easy. Went to our room on the 2nd floor via a steamy, humid elevator. Ick. Got to the room and noticed that there were still several coffee stains on our counter. The couch and the pillows weren't clean so we didn't use that area of the room. The tv is on a swivel and it had to be because of the awkward shape of the room. Bathroom smelled a little funky like it had not been well cleaned. The beds were comfortable enough but the pillows were tiny and square shaped... Took quite a few to get comfy. The doors close automatically behind you but make a very loud banging sound. The folks next to us must have been in and out of that room 40 times. Annoying but not the hotels fault! Smoking area is right outside the entrance to the main lobby so be prepared to be gassed on your way in. Nasty. Wouldn't stay here again. There are much better options.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear NJGirllnVA,
Thank you for taking the time to fill out your review. We appreciate any feedback we receive because we use this to make our hotel that much better. I hope the next time you are in Hampton you decide to stay with us again so that you can experience a much better stay!
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I really liked this hotel. It was so close to everything, yet seculed at the same time behind the Hilton Garden Inn. I had my grandchildren with me and found plenty of activities to do. We even drove down the Virginia Beach one of the days. They loved the breakfast! The breakfast staff was very nice and the food was great! Loved those turkey sausages! That breakfast filled them up and saved me lots of money! The room was very comfortable and roomy! This is a great hotel. I loved to bargin shop and don't like to drive far so this was a perfect location. We even found a local county aquatics center nearby. The museum is within 20 minutes as well. The kids really enjoyed Joe's Crab Shack around the corner and I loved Burlington Coat Factory around the corner as well. Walmart is a 7 minute drive. If you stay here, you are within 20 to 30 minutes of everything for a family! Had a great stay!

Room Tip: no special tips! Just great hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank avirtuelady
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This hotel seems fairly new and for the most part is in good condition. The rooms are standard fare and are comfortable and clean.

Odd peculiarities of this hotel involve the very hot hallways and elevators.

The weekend that I was here it was extremely busy the entire weekend. There were always about 50 people in the lobby eating and being loud. This isn't something the hotel can control necessarily, however it seems like a popular hotel and this may be something people wish to avoid. Lots of sports groups which means yelling and running up and down the hallways at night. Also, food can be scarce during breakfast in the mornings.

One night i left my key in my room and didn't want to wake my wife. I asked the front desk for a replacement, and despite giving them my name, they would not give me a key. I have stayed in hundreds of Marriotts, and have never been treated like this. The front desk clerk was almost hostile in his denial of my request. It was pretty silly. I got the impression that they are worried about crime, which I can only assume is because of the location. There are lots of restaurants and shopping in the area, but you get the feeling it isn't the safest place ever.

Rate was $89 per night but may have been a special rate.

Other facilities were nice.

Room Tip: lower floors appear to be colder.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Springhill_Manager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Hampton, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear JohnColumbus_Ohio,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you found our rooms to be comfortable and clean. During the weekend you stayed with us a large basketball tournament was going on. This tournament was the reason a lot of children were staying at the hotel.
I am sorry for the difficulty you experienced while trying to obtain a replacement key for your room. For the safety and security of our guests we require photo identification to be present in order to receive a new key.
I hope the next time you are in Hampton you decide to stay with us again. Have a great day!
Fayetteville, NC
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We often visit the Hampton Roads area and we have stayed here often, but over time, it has fallen off. The room was okay, but it is starting to show its age. The shower curtain had a mildew stain on it that I had to clean off, which shows me the maid service is not very thorough. The pillows were small and limp. I have a big head, so I like large pillows. My biggest complaint is the breakfast. What kind of hotel especially a Marriott does not offer sliced bread? Really? Being that most people flock to the waffle irons something as simple as toast should be offered. Not everybody likes bagels or English muffins. I do not expect to awake to cold eggs, undercooked sausage, and grits. I should have gone down the road to Tommy’s Restaurant and got a real breakfast. I know many cuts are being made, but as high as the rates were, more should be offered for breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Springhill_Manager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Hampton, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Gr8nessnme,
I greatly appreciate your continued patronage of our hotel and your feedback regarding your recent stay. We will use this as a learning tool to improve our services. I apologize for the experience you had at breakfast. This is not normal because we are ranked in the top 10% of all Springhill Suites in America. I hope you decide to stay with us next time you are in the area. If there is anything I can do for you please let me know.