“Fine for a quick stay in Hampton”

SpringHill Suites Hampton
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
NC
“Fine for a quick stay in Hampton”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I was in town for a quick business trip. Rooms were clean and appeared to have been recently renovated. Although hotel states wireless is only in lobby (but free high speed wired internet in room) the wireless worked fine in my hotel room. Nice hotel pool and whirlpool. There is not much to do (restaurants) in the immediate vicinity of property but an abundance of shopping and dining are just a quick drive away. Breakfast was standard with eggs, sausage, belgian waffle maker, oatmeal and an assortment of cereals and pastries.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
North Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Second stay while on business and will stay again. Clean and quiet with a wonderful staff. Recommend to all coming to Hampton.

1 Thank Evanstonmike
newport news
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Let me start off by saying the first impression is very informing and the front desk associates are very helpful and conveniet. my check in was prompt and easy the rooms are spacious and comfartable.The location is perfect because pretty much everything you may need or want is available in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Daron P
Springhill_Manager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Hampton, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear Daron P,
I have shared your wonderful experience with my staff. It is great to hear when someone really enjoys their stay. We look forward to providing your lodging needs next time you are in Hampton, VA.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 10, 2012

yikes : the person booking our rooms for an event in Norfolk accidentally booked the rooms at this hotel in Hampton instead of the one in Norfolk. Found out the mistake on arrival and so too late to change. Filthy rooms : Housecleaning apparently forgot that when cleaning a room, one needs to clean the smudges off tables and counters or that they shouldn't overlook the red and brown stuff on the floor around the commode and on the carpet in front of the batroom etc, etc...! Brown and black smudges and stains everywhere from counter tops, tables, carpet, walls, doors to even the suedy curtains !!!

The toilet paper rolls are at least 2 feet off from the commode diagonally ! linen and towels thin , as are the walls. The bed , however, was comfortable for the one night that I stayed there.

The room has avocado modernist type sofa and wallpaper ( from the 60's?) with mismatched cushions of various non-complimentary colors. Seems like it was decorated with spare furniture and art bought from Home Goods or Michaels.

Never again any Springhill suites ever !!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ainjibi
I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. I know upon arrival you seemed upset due to the fact you reserved a hotel room at the wrong location. However, I hope you found the area appealing with a wide variety of shops, restaurants, and attractions. If you do decide to stay with us again I am sure you will have a much more enjoyable stay.
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I have a mentoring program in Maryland and during the month of April took 49 children on a college tour. Along the way we stayed at the W in Atlanta and the Hyatt in North Carolina.
As a frequent business and International traveler, I am comfortable in a variety of settings. I have never stayed at a Springhill prior to this property. My staff and I were more than pleased with the accommodations. The rooms were apportioned well and the staff was quite professional. I frequent Trip Advisor and generally rely on their reviews. The reviews are usually accurate, however, in the case of this property... I would like to know just how far some people will go to get their room "comped". If you can, visit this property and rate it yourself. Once you decide, I encourage you to post your opinion here.
The reason I am writing is because my view was 180 degrees opposite the negative reviews
I read.

3 Thank FLYGUYY
Dear FLYGUYY,
We enjoyed the opportunity to accommodate your recent college tour group. Hopefully your students were able to view a few amazing schools during your trip. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review about your stay with us. If you ever come back to Hampton, VA we would love to welcome you back to the Springhill Suites.
North Huntingdon, PA
Reviewed March 17, 2012

My husband and I travel quite a bit. Many times I have good intentions of writing reviews when I return but get busy with everyday life and don't get around to it. Since I'm usually very pleased with the properties it's not a priority. I felt compelled to write this review.

I have relied on Trip Advisor reviews for many years. The vast majority of times the reviews are very accurate. As always, I read through the reviews here and assumed that with being rated number 4 out of 26 the property would be decent. The top three hotels were completely booked when we made our plans.

Immediately upon entering my room I felt something hit me on the head. I initially thought it came from the ceiling. As it turned out, it was a long strip of corner moulding that had been glued and fell from the corner of the wall with the vibration of the door closing. I was unhurt. The moulding was lightweight. I called the front desk and a maintenance worker came to the room and placed the strip behind the sofa. I asked him to repair it after we check out in three days and he agreed to do that.

I went to the counter area of the kitchenette to place my water in the refrigerator. There were cookie crumbs on top of the refrigerator. When I looked at the countertop I found a hair, the type you would expect to find in the bathroom. It really turned me off and left me thinking that housekeeping used the same rag to clean the bathroom at the kitchen area, gross. I picked up the hair and threw it away. As I looked around the room I noticed dust on the television. There is a light blue sofa in the sitting area of the room. There were signs of wear and light dirt on the arms and other places. On the bottom of the sofa there was a large brown stain. I really did not want to sit on the sofa.

At this point I was not impressed but thought I would tolerate it. We left our room for the day and evening. That night I was able to get NO sleep. The air conditioning unit would cycle on and off and at times and rev itself up like a jet engine. At 5:30 a.m. I called the front desk and advised them we would more than likely be checking out. I then turned the air off thinking that even though it would be a little warm I might be able to get an hour or two sleep before my alarm went off. As I lay there trying to sleep I could hear the guest above me urinating in the bathroom, pipes vibrating and the sounds of running water as they took their shower. The door to the adjoining room is positioned closer to our door than any I have seen in any other hotel property. Any time that door was opened or closed it was heard loudly in our room.

I now realize I am not going to get any sleep so I get up and turn on all of the lights and open the shades. There is a red stain on the blind and I now see stains on the bedskirts. The walls were dirty. As I look closer at one of the headboards I notice the stain of what appears to be bodily fluids. The closet door is also off of the track.

The toilet in the bathroom was misaligned and every time I would sit on it I would feel like I was falling off. There is no way that housekeeping could not have noticed this. Why should I have to report it and deal with having a maintenance worker in my room? I also found more hair in the shower prior to either of us using it.

At this point I knew there was no way I was sitting on the furniture or spending any more time in this room. Fortunately, for me one of the top three hotels at this time had a room open up and I immediately checked out.

Before checking out I spoke with the General Manager and asked him to come and see our room. He came to the room and apologized. I was almost embarrassed for him. There really wasn't much that he could say other than the fact that what he saw was unacceptable and that he was taking this room out of commission. He offered to add points to our Marriott Rewards account and provided reimbursement for breakfast which I appreciated. There was no way I was going to eat breakfast in that place. I could only assume that their cleaning standards were the same in the kitchen area and I had no interest in that.

I had taken photos of the room and contacted Springhill Suites customer service and let them know about my experience as well. I chose not to post the photos here and decided to rate this property two out of five instead of one for the following reasons. The photos would always remain on this review and would be very inflammatory. The manager sent me an email advising me that he would be meeting with housekeeping and doing follow up inspections. He did everything he could have after the fact to try to straighten things out. It's just a shame the ball was dropped in the first place. The second reason is, the hotel is not a total dump. The lobby area is nice. It seems to me that this property needs to have a total renovation of the rooms and definitely make some changes in the housekeeping department. We will not return to this property.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank OfcSupport
The Springhill Suites Hampton Coliseum Central is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Your willingness to share your experience is genuinely appreciated. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to serve your future lodging needs, as we would like the opportunity to provide you the level of service you expect from Marriott Hotels.
Hilton, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2012

This is the most quiet, comfortable & cleanest hotel we've visited in a very long time. The staff was most helpful & friendly...always taking the time to put our daughter's ice pack in the freezer for her (bad back). My husband & daughter used the exercise room & thought the equipment was excellent. The breakfast choices were great..excellent scrambled eggs, oatmeal & coffee! A little variety was nice as we stayed 4 nights. The room colors were very relaxing. I'm just sorry that we won't be back again as we were in Hampton for a family member's Air Force retirement. We will defintiely stay at other Springhill suites in the future! 2 suggestions....a better sign at the entrance & is there any chance the toilet paper holder could be moved? No one has arms that long!!!

Room Tip: 2nd floor, end of hall, back side was great.