Hilton Garden Inn Hampton Coliseum Central
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 22, 2014

My room was in the low 80s when I arrived, I turned down the Thermostat to 71 as I always do. The AC unit never did work other than blow warm air. I talked to the Front desk and they said to give it a while, So I had a few beers at the bar. Went back up and it was still 80, I called the front desk and they sent a maint man, He turned the thermostat to 50 and said that should help. Obviouisly he has not been trained in Heating/Air conditioning. I showered and went to bed. At 4AM it was still 79 degrees in my room and I woke up sweating. Showered and Left for the day not rested at all.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Scott K, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Thank you for making us aware of the problems with your AC unit. I am sorry that it interfered with your ability to enjoy a restful evening. My engineer has replaced the unit and has spoken with the technician on duty during your stay to ensure that this issue does not occur in the future. I hope you will give us another chance to serve you the next time you are in Hampton. I assure you that you will find your experience restful and relaxing.

Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel because it seemed to be one of the last options while attending my daughter's graduation. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, the room was clean, neat, and appealing, the bed comfortable. The free parking was a good to have as well.

The ONLY bad part was have to pay $9.95 for breakfast, when the other hotels (I.e. Springhill Suites and Embassy) in the future other accomodations will be procured. This is unacceptable especially being a honors member, canceling membership. As well as having family in town this was unsatisfactory.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Scott K, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experiences. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time in Hampton and received great service from our team. I apologize for the confusion regarding breakfast. Hilton Garden Inn does extensive research and testing amongst our most loyal guests and they routinely tell us that they prefer a higher quality breakfast experience and that cost is not a factor in their decision. As such, the brand continues to focus on providing a high quality breakfast experience while still maintaining a reasonable price. We do have several other brands in the Hilton family that offer a breakfast inclusive rate to meet the needs of our consumer.

I appreciate your patronage and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again next time you are in Hampton. If not, I hope you enjoy your time at one of our other Hilton brands.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Hair in breakfast food, my plate and daughter plate. Spoke to other family member who went at a different time and grandaughter had hair in her food. Room was not fresh, beautiful outside and in lobby. We had to request pillows they gave us 4 small square airplane pillows

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you once again for staying with us and for sharing your feedback. Please accept my apologies once again for the challenges you had during breakfast. As we discussed, that is an anomaly for us and we have taken steps to prevent the problem from recurring.

I am sorry that you found our pillows underwhelming. I can report that we will be adding new, king sized pillows to our King rooms in the coming months. Our double queen rooms will retain the queen sized pillows that are currently featured in the room. I hope you will find these more to your liking.

I appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and hope we will have the opportunity to host you again the next time you are in Hampton

Reviewed May 7, 2014

This hotel is one of the best in this area and they decor, food and service is A+. Nothing but high marks from me. I have stayed in this area several times a year and my daughter goes to college nearby and one good thing about this Hilton is it's in walking distance to shopping and I love the selections for dining.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Scott K, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Thanks for staying with us. We're delighted to hear that you had a great time in Hampton and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

My husband and I booked a last-minute hotel and we were very happy with the Hilton Garden Inn in Hampton. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, the room was clean, neat, and appealing, the bed comfortable, and the Keurig coffee maker was an unexpected bonus! The free parking was a great perk as well, and we enjoyed the selection of protein bars and snacks downstairs.

The ONLY bad part was the breakfast buffet - we were happy to pay $9.95 for it (as it was tasty and offered enough selection for us ovo-vegetarians with eggs any style, fruits, breads, herbed potatoes, and so on), but unfortunately it was extremely understaffed. It looked like there were only two poor ladies working (no dishwasher! They had to bust out foam plates at one point) and they were having a heck of a time managing everything - running food, seating people, bussing tables, working the register, explaining to people how the breakfast worked, taking orders, refilling the food. It must have been a total nightmare for them, and for the guests experiencing long wait times and poor service. Having been a server, I used to have nightmares like that all the time. (Still do.) So MANAGEMENT, if you read this, PLEASE put a few extra people on the weekend breakfast shift, and please tell those two ladies how much you appreciate them! I watched them do all that AND clean up kid vomit from the carpet. Not a pleasant Sunday for them, and I'm sure there were a few guests who didn't understand what was going on and were probably very frustrated with the confusion, chaos, and general neglect of the breakfast.

Other than that, we'd definitely return for another stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thanks for staying with us and for your patience during breakfast. Several unforeseen factors left us short handed for breakfast that morning. Sadly the rush had come and gone by the time reinforcements arrived. It is certainly not the norm for us and I regret that is caused a blemish on your experience. I'm pleased to hear that your stay was otherwise enjoyable and am looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

This hotel is conveintly located near resturants and shopping. It is close enough to the Collosium with a 10-15 minute walk. The close resturants were either casual or business casual. The lobby bar and hotel resturant were all spotless.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Scott K, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Thanks for staying with us. The Coliseum Central area is growing all the time - in fact, the past month has seen construction begin on several new restaurants and retail spaces - so there is always something new to explore. I'm pleased to hear that you found everything you were looking for.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our room had a few maintenance problems that I would call house cleaning oversight. There was no shower curtain causing use to shower in another room because there were no maintenance personnel available. A lamp in the room and main lights in the bathroom weren't working, but repaired quickly by main desk

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Curtis H
Scott K, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. I apologize for the challenges you had with your room and will share your comments with my executive team so that we can investigate the issue. I appreciate your choice of the Hilton Garden Inn and am pleased to hear that the small mis-steps did not diminish your enjoyment of everything Hampton has to offer. I look forward to seeing you again.