“A little touch of Class with a Staff that should be training other area Hotel staff”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Hampton
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed December 23, 2009

My Wife and I Stayed here in October upon moving back to Hampton, I called the front desk after making reservations online, the Gentleman I spoke with was very helpful, friendly and courteous. Our room was very clean and even though it was a smoking room it was free of the odor. Very clean bathroom, and the towels were large and smelled clothesline fresh.
We have gone back to this Hotel several times since and everytime we stay there we are treated the same by all the Staff, very welcomed and the staff will bend over backwards to assist all guest.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 2, 2009

Arrived on a Thursday night for a 2 night stay. Disappointed to find the hotel's indoor pool was closed. Hottub was working fine but is too hot for our 3 year old. Was surprised to find someone working to fix the pool late that night. Pool was open the next day & was heated. Bravo!

Our room was nice and included a small refrigerator and free wi-fi. Didn't have any trouble with noisy neighbors either night.

One downside was free breakfast was weaker than expected. One of two waffle makers was broken. Served turkey bacon & sausage which is fine for some people but wasn't to our taste. Second downside was being charged an extra $10/night for a rollaway bed for our child. The company's website says "rollaway beds available" but did not mention that there is a charge for them.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2009

Hotel was easy to find using maps provided on Country Inn and Suites website. Staff was extremely friendly and welcoming. The room was exceptionally clean and very well appointed. Walking distance to convenience stores and less than 5 minutes to restaurants and shopping. We had no issues with safety, parking, traffic or noise. Breakfast was adequate. Would have liked to have seen instant grits or instant oatmeal offered as hot water was readily available. Overall a very restful and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2009

My family came in town for celebration. As we unloaded the car(s) mine and my sisters there were a bunch of hoodlum teenagers looming in the parking lot and watching every step we made. So, we quickly gathered our items and locked all car doors and entered the building still wondering if our cars or the area was safe. Later on that evening, we went out and came back to the hotel and that same group of teenagers were circling the parklot once again. At this time, out of the group of 10... 2 walked off in the neighborhood and the others to our surprise were "residents" of the hotel. Well a couple of hours later. We noticed that our car had been tampered with and items stolen from the trunk. Eyewitnesses stated the "girls" that were circling the parking lot and were residents of the hotel broke into our car. We actually thought with the technological advances and security systems and cameras located throughout the hotel and parking lot, it would be an easy fix to find the "resident" culprit. But, we were told, "the manager won't be in until 10am and they are the only ones who can push the rewind button on the cameras". If anyone is listening.. pls help me understand why a manager isn't available until after all the guests are gone after the complimentary breakfast??? I thought most hotel had night mgrs or acting mgrs. Even with a police officer in the presence.. there was nothing they can do. Eyewitnesses, Cameras, and the culprit still on site .... still there was nothing anyone could do. Staying at this location really is AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!! We are just thankful the car was still there. But, the culprit was staying there a few doors down....So, they didn't need to take it !!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
cx_hava, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2010

We take comments as yours seriously! I’d like to discuss your experience with our hotel. I can be reached directly at the hotel by calling 757-224-9994 (or) via email at cx_hava@countryinns.com. I look forward to speaking with you. Warm regards, Nirav Patel, General Manager.

Reviewed January 5, 2009

The staff was very welcoming and friendly, and the prices were very reasonable. I paid less than $80 per night for two nights in a king standard smoking room. The carpet in the room was a bit shabby, but the room was very clean. Even though it was a smoking room, you could barely smell smoke and there was no yellowing on the walls or anything. The bed was very comfortable and had 5 big pillows! The people in the next room were being a bit loud late into the night, but it wasn't bad enough to warrant a complaint. Breakfast was just okay, but considering it was free, I was quite happy with it.

We enjoyed our stay enough to return for another night, on New Year's Eve. Although we had a reservation for a king-size standard smoking room, they had none left BUT made up for it by putting us in a suite instead, for no extra charge! We would definitely recommend this hotel, and will probably end up staying there again at some point.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 11, 2008

We chose the Country Inn and Suites based on good reviews and the price and location were perfect for the purpose of our stay and our budget. We were attending a wedding in the area. Staying were myself, my husband, three year old duaghter and my nineteen year old sister. We arrived at the hotel very late the first night of our stay, around 1:30 a.m. The front desk clerk had everything ready for me the second we got in..she said she knew we'd be tired, so she had the keys ready to go. The room was very nice and clean. There were two queen beds, a microwave and fridge, work desk and chairs. Our room was on the first floor right next to the pool. The room overlooked some housing developments. It was very quiet. Occasionally, you could hear some noise from the pool area, because of the echo, but it didn't bother us. The pool was clean and warm. The breakfast was fine, nothing great, but fine. There was cereal, bagels, toast, apples, fruit juices, coffee, tea, eggs (powdered), bacon, sausage and Belgian Waffles (very good). Overall, a decent breakfast for families. There were cookies out for the guests in the evening. As a matter of fact, we were so hungry when we first arrived, that they made us a plate of cookies. Overall, I was pleased with my stay. The room was clean, beds comfortable, breakfast decent, location good. Many restaurants and shopping malls, supermarkets, etc. were within a very short driving distance (5 minutes).

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank TarahDee
Reviewed September 22, 2008

After reading all of the good reviews about this property, I felt good about booking a room here. However, after my stay, my feelings are all over the place. The property was easy to find off of Highway 17. Take Highway 134S and ride until you get to Hardy Cash Drive. Driving up to the property, I had a good feeling. It looked rather new, but there are no places to eat in the immediate vicinity (walking distance), so I knew I'd have to drive somewhere to find some vittles. The property is pretty close to housing developments - not in a business oriented area.

Upon entering, I found a clean, attractive lobby. The clerk on duty was quite pleasant and helpful with directions regarding finding somewhere to eat. In the lobby is a reading center, where there are books you can "borrow" or "keep" and return to another Country Inn. Some interesting titles were found - classics and some titles I'd never heard of. There is an indoor pool/jacuzzi, a small fitness area, and a business center. There is also abreakfast room, but I didn't have breakfast, so I can't comment on the quality. You can purchase snacks from the clerk at the front desk, so at least you won't lose in a vending machine.

Upon entering my room, I found a nice sized, very clean, and standardly appointed room - microwave and refrigerator included.

When I came back for my nights stay, there were complimentary cookies at the front desk. My nights stay, however, was not so pleasant. Since my room was on the first floor with a window facing Hardy Cash Drive, the noise from cars with blasting stereo systems was continuous and intolerable. The bed was comfortable enough, but the noise was a pure downer. I contacted the front desk and requested another room and was promptly and courteously given a room on the second floor on the back of the property with a window facing a housing development and apparently the Interstate, as I could hear trucks going by. Again, a comfy bed. Also, there was some weird noise - a low, monotonous humming kind of sound - (wasn't the refrigerator) that literally kept me up most of the night. I did manage some sleep, but the noise continued throughout the morning. And on top of that noise, the patrons on the third floor, I don't know if they were running for breakfast or just merely walking on the non-carpeted areas of the floor, but the noise from up there was just - I can't even explain it. I'd finally had enough and decided to leave.

I think my problems on this stay may not be the norm, based on the good reviews here, so take what I've posted and make your own decisions. Next time I'm in the area, I'll likely take my chances and stay in the Mercury Blvd/Coliseum Drive area. The property was nice and the customer service was good, but the noise just drove me crazy.

Tips: 1) Maybe get a room on the third floor with a window on the back of the property.
2) As you exit the property, make a right onto Hardy Cash Drive. Go down 2 stoplights (you'll see Sentara Hospital right in front of you) and make a right onto Coliseum Drive. You'll run into many eateries, shopping, and also other hotels/motels if you keep driving and hit Mercury Boulevard/Drive. It looks like they're doing some rebuilding to the mall area, but I did see a JC Penney and Macy's.
3) If you continue onto Coliseum, you'll eventually get to the Hampton Coliseum, so this property may be a good choice should you be visiting the Coliseum, but want to have lodging away from the traffic.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo