“Tidy but Tired”

Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Tidy but Tired”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Extremely slow service at the desk meant we missed our first meeting here. A tidyish but tired hotel - simply a clean enough place to sleep for the night. Bonus of adjustable air conditioning.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jensjourney
niravdpatel26, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Hampton, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for your response. I am truly sorry for your experience. I would love to discuss the matter further by phone if you would like. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Comment: We stayed at this hotel as we were in town for our daughter?s
wedding. We booked a suite and the first night smoke from the room next
to us was coming in through the bathroom vent it stunk up the whole
room. It was late and we asked to be moved the next morning, then we
were moved into room 319 and that night noise from the room next door
(317) was so loud we had to call the front desk and they said they
would call, it got slightly better but not much, then the next night
the noise was so bad, i called the front desk and when it did not get
better I went down to the front desk and told them how bad it was, and
it sounded like they have surround sound! And she said she would go up
there herself. It did not get better and I made a reservation at another

hotel and called the front desk and told them we would be checking out
in the AM. The next morning after an awful night as we were going down
to check out we also smelled food cooking in that room as we passed by
to check out. At the front desk, the clerk called the manager to the
desk and he told me (exact words) "I live in the room next door and I
told my wife to turn down the surround sound, and I guess she did for a
little while, but then turned it back up". I said that that was
unacceptable and we were leaving and then the front desk clerk gave us
our bill. We just paid and got out of there. This was totally
unacceptable for a hotel to treat guest this way. A manager/owner should

not live near the guest rooms etc.

Room Tip: Dont stay there
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jamies878
, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Hampton, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
It was nice speaking with you. You will be recieving something in the mail in the next week. Call me if you need anything else. Take care.
Glenolden, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 28, 2012

June 26 and 27, 2012
This was my second trip to Hampton Virginia, the first trip I stayed at a 4 star hotel with a hefty price. This time I was staying for 2 nights and had to book 2 rooms for an additional technician. The cost was half of what I paid per room a month earlier. The hotel was easy to locate with plenty of parking. Checking in was a breeze. The people were friendly and helpful. The room: a king which included breakfast. The rooms where quiet and very clean. I wish I would have packed my swim suit because they had a great Jacuzzi. Breakfast stared at 6 am which was hot and ready @ 6 with a good selection of hot and cold foods. Orange, apple and guava juices. Over all I was surprised that the hotel was not listed as a 4 star.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor lower 200 number
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Ed K
niravdpatel26, Owner at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Hampton, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for your great review. We greatly appreciate it. I will gladly share this with our staff. Thank you and look forward to seeing you all again.
Mount Vernon, Washington
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Simply this, one of the nicest place we have stayed in the U.S. and the price was fantastic. We reserved the room on a military lodging site, but nowhere did we have to prove show our military I.D. I have reason to believe the price is related to Military discount.

Large beautiful room, beautiful furnishings. I think the word to describe the place is "gracious". Everything was pristine, the most comfortable of beds. Oh then the buffet breakfast, hot and complete.

Right off the freeway, easy to find (I love my Maps app on my smartphone). Wonderful area full of history. We drove out to Yorktown, and the next day went to Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg.

And then the staff! Southern hospitality all the way!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank heartsformexico
United States
Reviewed April 8, 2012

* Trashy people throwing parties at hotel & staff could not and would not control the problems.

* Hotel was so loud & we could not sleep at all

* Light fixture fell off of wall in the middle of the night crashing and breaking

* No remote control to old tv & when they gave us remotes the never worked.

* Horrible management

* Low quality & gross breakfast

* Nasty People

* We left the hotel in the middle of the night due to safety concerns & noise.

* The management refused to give us a refund & we are now disputing the hotel charge since we were unable to sleep or stay due to the noise, security issues and awful management.

Room Tip: avoid this chain.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark1234d
Mahwah, New Jersey
Reviewed March 21, 2012

First time I've written something like this. Not sure what folks expect from an inexpensive motel, but this one is 1) Immaculate; 2) Provides a free hot breakfast; and the staff (front desk, housecleaners, all the staff) are freindly, courteous and responsive. The Manager, Ralph F., is a gem. A great value, and a trouble-free stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jimmie M
Ewing, New Jersey
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I chose to stay at Country Inns & Suites because the location was very convenient and the rate I was quoted by using some of my “Club Carlson” points was highly affordable. This was a fairly new hotel and the reviews online seemed favorable. Had I known the experience that awaited me, I would never have stayed here.

My wife and I arrived in the late afternoon. Although I made reservations well in advance, it took approximately 30 minutes to check-in because the front desk was understaffed. There were 2 parties ahead of me in line; both requested multiple rooms with various amenities, wanted them close together, changed their minds several times about what they wanted and insisted on paying with cash after "negotiating" a rate with the clerk. All the while, the line at the front desk grew longer and longer.

I understand that I need to wait sometimes, but this was the longest I have ever waited to check in at any hotel. I travel regularly for work and in most hotels I can finish the check-in process in well under 10 minutes. When I finally reached the front of the line clerk was pleasant and professional - at the same time she expressed empathy for the wait and assured everyone she giving her best effort under the circumstances. It took less than 5 minutes for her to complete my check-in process.

What added to the frustration was the lack of engagement from other hotel staff members. I overheard plenty of chipper conversation from the office behind the front desk as other staff members prepared to leave for the day. None of them said “hello” or offered assistance to the line of customers that were accumulating at the lobby entrance. I know they saw us - they made eye contact with us!

I had just driven 8 hours; I was tired and willing to presume my timing was unfortunate. My wife and I unpacked the car and left our belongings in the room while we went out to dinner. When we came back from dinner, we noticed that the air conditioner / thermostat was not working properly. Many of the hotels I stay at have similar air conditioning controls, but for some reason this unit only worked when you manually set the mode to ‘heat’ or ‘cool’ and then set the fan to ‘low’ or ‘high’ speed.

Some of the glass surfaces had what appeared to be food or some other unidentifiable substance caked on them. The most disturbing discovery was the remote for the TV - it had some type of dried-up red/brown substance on it. Whether it was food, make-up or perhaps some type of bodily fluid/substance I’m not sure - but it was gross enough that we simply didn’t touch it.

My wife and I were exhausted from our travels and really wanted to get some sleep, so we cut the lights out and tried to get some rest around 10:00PM. Shortly thereafter, the guests above us seemed to come alive and do quite a bit of stomping / jumping / wrestling while engaging in loud conversation & laughter. I assumed these were children and given adequate time, surely things would quiet down.

I laid there and stared at the ceiling while the disruptive noise continued for another two and a half hours. I can appreciate a great party just as much as the next person, but at some point it needs to wind down for the sake of other guests in the hotel. I called the front desk at 12:30AM and asked if anything could be done about the noise. The gentleman answering the phone said that he would call the rooms above and see about encouraging things to wind down.

The noise continued to persist for another hour and my hope that things would quiet down continued diminish. My wife and I had an important meeting to attend later that morning and it was becoming quite clear that adequate sleep was out of the question. I called the front desk again at 1:30AM in the morning to advise that the “party” was still going strong. Again, the gentleman at the front desk assured me that he would call the rooms above and advise them to quiet down. I also asked that he cancel my reservation for the following night, I needed to get some rest before traveling home.

The room above us seemed to take offense to the call - within minutes of calling the front desk I heard many guests stomping on the floor above us in unison. I’m not sure if this was dancing or some type of game they were playing, but my patience was exhausted. My wife and I got out of bed, packed all of our belongings and left.

Had this level of inconsiderate, disruptive noise occurred in a residential neighborhood surely the police would have been contacted to resolve the matter. I understand that the hotel may have policies that limit what hotel staff can or cannot do in these circumstances. The policies failed to discourage poor behavior from the guests above us and punished willing, paying customers with reservations for subsequent nights.

We decided to leave the hotel at 2:00AM and seek accommodations elsewhere. The gentleman working the front desk apologized for our poor experience and gave me a business card with the hotel manager’s information. He stated that he called the disruptive room several times and heard the music & noise in the background each time. Furthermore he said that he “pulled the book” for tonight’s stay due to the problems we experienced with noise and confirmed that my reservation for the following night was cancelled.

I went to a Hilton Garden Inn several miles away that I have stayed with in the past. The check-in process took about 4 minutes and the front-desk staff was kind enough to offer complementary drinks and snacks after hearing about our experiences with Country Inns & Suites. The top-floor room was clean, the thermostat was set perfectly and it was wonderfully quiet. We didn’t get a full 8 hours of sleep that night - but we slept very well after switching hotels.

It cost me significantly more to switch hotels without a reservation - about double the rate I paid at Country Inns & Suites. But given the level of service and the comfort the rooms offered me, it was money well spent. In the future, I will probably continue to stay with this hotel because they “rescued me” from what was an otherwise unrestful night of duress.

When I returned home, I had every intention of forgetting about the poor experience I had with Country Inn & Suites go. After all, had there not been a party above us the stay would have been acceptable. Unfortunately, I was again overcome with frustration when I discovered that Country Inns & Suites had in fact charged me for the hotel stay on the night we left at 2:00AM due to noise.

To be clear, it’s not about the money. At this point, a refund will not convince me to spend another penny with Country Inns & Suites in my lifetime. When asked, I will recommend that people avoid Country Inns & Suites based on these experiences. I consider myself a fairly tolerant and patient customer - but I don’t appreciate being lied to and getting charged for services the hotel did not deliver.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family